PDA

View Full Version : Apex almost over heat my tank

jeffreylam1132
04/16/2013, 09:10 PM
Came home today and saw my chiller was running. I was like huh? It is so cold, why is my chiller running? Ran quickly to the tank and notice my heater was on, my fuge lite was on. Basically, everything that was ran through the apex was on. Apparently my apex froze. This had never happen before. Luckily, when I'd left work today, for some reason decided to plug my chiller in. Thank God, if I hadn't, would of came home with a boiling tank.

Anyway, not sure what's going on with my apex. As of now, I'm not able to control anything. Can somebody please tell me what I need to do? Thanks.

bugs713
04/16/2013, 09:21 PM
I run a Ronco temperature controller in series with my RKE as an extra back up for instances like these. So, it is triple protected; The thermostat of the heater, the RKE and the Ronco.

Sorry I can't help you, but good luck getting it figured out!

triggreef
04/16/2013, 09:57 PM
You tried reset it?

Chrisjbarry
04/16/2013, 10:24 PM
Ive had one plug stay in the off position never the on. Also if I have power surge at home the apex creates fake eb-8 and everything is set to default settings so somethings are on and others are not. Maybe the chiller pulls more amps then the allowed amount for the plug sot you choose

Sent from inside the shark tank!

kurt_n
04/16/2013, 11:32 PM
A couple thoughts...

As someone already mentioned, if you can access the Apex look for a "phantom" EB8. Sometimes when it buggers up, it creates a new EB8 and kind of forgets about your real one!

Another possibility is that the EB8 lost communication with the control unit and everything went in to their "fallback" mode. Did you have "Fallback ON" for the things that were on when you came home? Do you have green lights on both the EB8 and the main control unit? If not, what color are they?

jeffreylam1132
04/16/2013, 11:49 PM
I actually do have access to the apex website, but it's not responding to my commands. Not sure where to look for "phantom" EB8.

Yes, I have Fallback On for the things that were on. I actually don't see a green light on the EB8. It is flashing yellow/orange. What do I need to do?

jeffreylam1132
04/17/2013, 03:50 AM
I am having major issues all of a sudden, where the display isnt showing up anymore and the orange light on the energybar 8 is just flashing sort of fast. I have tried to reload the firmware and i am guessing it takes and when i upload the webpage it shows below. It still doesn't fix it. I have tried unplugging it and nothing.

I try to make updates and it is not taking anything.. so my lights and heater are stuck in the on position, etc. Basically everything before it took a crap on me.

Any ideas?

I can log on via the pc but temp shows 19.3 and ph 1.47.

Here is what i see when trying to upload the web pages.
Uploading file: all.js...
Success
Uploading file: aqua.css...
Success
Uploading file: banner.jpg...
Success
Uploading file: bantopbg.jpg...
Success
Uploading file: body.png...
Success
Uploading file: buttons.gif...
Success
Uploading file: calicon.png...
Success
Uploading file: clock.asp...
Success
Uploading file: clock.sht...
Success
Uploading file: datalog.asp...
Success
Uploading file: datalog.sht...
Success
Uploading file: date.js...
Success
Uploading file: display.asp...
Success
Uploading file: display.sht...
Success
Uploading file: ecosmart.etm...
Success
Uploading file: ecowwd.etm...
Success
Uploading file: excanvas.js...
Success
Uploading file: footer.inc...

Operation failed with the following error information:

The underlying connection was closed: The connection was closed unexpectedly.

Operation failed with the following error information:

The underlying connection was closed: The connection was closed unexpectedly.

Is my EB8 going bad? Please help.............

kurt_n
04/17/2013, 09:39 AM
Try unplugging the Aquabus cable from the EB8 and from the main Apex unit. Replug it back in using different aquabus ports. If that doesn't work, try a different cable.

If that doesn't work, I'd drop Neptune an email ([email protected]) and they will help you out. Flashing orange on the EB8, I think, means it's hung up loading the firmware. Not 100% sure on that. Regardless, it means the main unit is not communicating with the EB8. I don't think your EB8 is bad - I just think you have to get things talking to each other again.

pdfrogman
04/17/2013, 10:13 AM
Wow I came to the neptune forum looking to be convinced into upgrading to an Apex from my ACIII.
didn't have a very good experience with neptune support so I have been considering another controller

has anyone from Neptune chimed in on this?

slief
04/17/2013, 01:58 PM
Jeff<
Have you tried posting on the official Neptune forum? I think it is monitored better from Neptune.
http://forum.neptunesystems.com/forum.php

kurt_n
04/17/2013, 02:00 PM
Wow I came to the neptune forum looking to be convinced into upgrading to an Apex from my ACIII.
didn't have a very good experience with neptune support so I have been considering another controller

I thought in your other posts here on RC you said you were done with Neptune. Wasn't even going to consider them again. ;)

This is a user-supported forum and not an official Neptune support forum. The official Neptune support forum can be found at http://forum.neptunesystems.com/forum.php
but even that is a user-supported forum.

You can see the same responses on this post that we all can. Do you see any responses from Neptune? Nope. Do you see any official responses from Neptune on ANY of the posts here on RC? Nope. If you need support from Neptune, the best method is to email them at the email address previously noted in this thread.

jeffreylam1132
04/17/2013, 02:11 PM
Try unplugging the Aquabus cable from the EB8 and from the main Apex unit. Replug it back in using different aquabus ports. If that doesn't work, try a different cable.

If that doesn't work, I'd drop Neptune an email ([email protected]) and they will help you out. Flashing orange on the EB8, I think, means it's hung up loading the firmware. Not 100% sure on that. Regardless, it means the main unit is not communicating with the EB8. I don't think your EB8 is bad - I just think you have to get things talking to each other again.

Did that many times, but the problem is still there. I've just sent them an email. Hopefully, I can get a quick respond from them and get some support.

jeffreylam1132
04/17/2013, 02:13 PM
Jeff<
Have you tried posting on the official Neptune forum? I think it is monitored better from Neptune.
http://forum.neptunesystems.com/forum.php

Thanks sleif for the info. Just posted this on their forum. Hopefully I can get some help quickly from Neptune.

jaynigz
04/17/2013, 02:59 PM
Just call them. They are heads and shoulders above any other controller in customer service department. Bar none.

jeffreylam1132
04/19/2013, 02:08 AM
Gave them a call. Ran my controller remotely and after about an hour, we couldn't get things to work. Told me to send it in and they'll fix it. Hopefully, it won't cost me an arm and a leg.

slief
04/19/2013, 06:08 PM
It's a shame that this wasn't resolvable with the remote session. That said, their turnaround time is very quick and depending on the issue, you will likely be pleasantly surprised with the cost if any. My guess is that you will be hearing from them within 24 hours of the time they receive your unit. I've been dealing with them since the first generation Aqua Controller and consider them to be one of the best when it comes to service and support.

That said, I have a huge system and an awful lot depending on my Apex. I have 7 EB8's plus a host of accessories running from it. My programming is out of control too! I keep a spare Apex brain on hand preprogrammed ready to swap in. I also keep pumps and other essential items on hand in the event of a failure.

We have a lot invested in our tanks and a spare brain is negligible cost wise when compared to the cost of our tanks, hardware and livestock. For me the $150 or so in cost (for the spare brain) was well worth the peace of mind. You might even be able to get them to clone your Apex for you to a new brain that you can purchase from them if you ask for it when they get your controller.

As I said, keeping spare parts on hand is a very good idea. These are electronic devices and no matter how reliable they are, there are going to be isolated failures. Being prepared for worst case scenarios can be a life saver or at least a tank saver in this case!

pdfrogman
04/19/2013, 07:55 PM
I thought in your other posts here on RC you said you were done with Neptune. Wasn't even going to consider them again. ;)

This is a user-supported forum and not an official Neptune support forum. The official Neptune support forum can be found at http://forum.neptunesystems.com/forum.php
but even that is a user-supported forum.

You can see the same responses on this post that we all can. Do you see any responses from Neptune? Nope. Do you see any official responses from Neptune on ANY of the posts here on RC? Nope. If you need support from Neptune, the best method is to email them at the email address previously noted in this thread.

well.. you and many others have been cheer leading for them and if you read one of my last posts in that thread it's looking like the in spite of my negative experience the Apex may be the way to go :debi:

kurt_n
04/19/2013, 11:40 PM
well.. you and many others have been cheer leading for them and if you read one of my last posts in that thread it's looking like the in spite of my negative experience the Apex may be the way to go :debi:

Sorry... didn't check back on that other post in the four hours that had past when I posted that. Just seemed like you were hijacking this thread a bit with the rhetorical question.

While I am happy with my Apex, I actually wasn't cheerleading for them over in that other post. I was the one suggesting that perhaps you shouldn't even be looking at a controller based upon your comments. But hey... no skin off my nose if you want an Apex.

pdfrogman
04/20/2013, 10:00 AM
Sorry... didn't check back on that other post in the four hours that had past when I posted that. Just seemed like you were hijacking this thread a bit with the rhetorical question.

While I am happy with my Apex, I actually wasn't cheerleading for them over in that other post. I was the one suggesting that perhaps you shouldn't even be looking at a controller based upon your comments. But hey... no skin off my nose if you want an Apex.

really? I shouldn't be looking for a controller?
why because I don't have a degree in computer programming?
why because I don't want to run top off or control wave makers
do me a favor guy if you don't like what I post move on

jeffery, sorry I did not mean to hi jack your post

jeffreylam1132
04/20/2013, 12:31 PM
It's a shame that this wasn't resolvable with the remote session. That said, their turnaround time is very quick and depending on the issue, you will likely be pleasantly surprised with the cost if any. My guess is that you will be hearing from them within 24 hours of the time they receive your unit. I've been dealing with them since the first generation Aqua Controller and consider them to be one of the best when it comes to service and support.

That said, I have a huge system and an awful lot depending on my Apex. I have 7 EB8's plus a host of accessories running from it. My programming is out of control too! I keep a spare Apex brain on hand preprogrammed ready to swap in. I also keep pumps and other essential items on hand in the event of a failure.

We have a lot invested in our tanks and a spare brain is negligible cost wise when compared to the cost of our tanks, hardware and livestock. For me the $150 or so in cost (for the spare brain) was well worth the peace of mind. You might even be able to get them to clone your Apex for you to a new brain that you can purchase from them if you ask for it when they get your controller.

As I said, keeping spare parts on hand is a very good idea. These are electronic devices and no matter how reliable they are, there are going to be isolated failures. Being prepared for worst case scenarios can be a life saver or at least a tank saver in this case!

I know. I was hoping it was something simple where they can fix it remotely. Save me on my time to ship it to them, the cost of repair and of course my tank is now running everything on manual and it's a pain in the butt.

Anyway, at least they're responding and doing what they can to fix this. Customer service is indeed very good.

jeffreylam1132
04/20/2013, 12:32 PM
really? I shouldn't be looking for a controller?
why because I don't have a degree in computer programming?
why because I don't want to run top off or control wave makers
do me a favor guy if you don't like what I post move on

jeffery, sorry I did not mean to hi jack your post

No problem, pdfrogman.