PDA

View Full Version : spinning blue green chromis

Lawman5014
04/16/2013, 11:00 PM
I added 3 blue green chromis to my 30 gallon tank about 5 days ago. All seemed to be going great until tonight when one of them appeared to be having trouble swimming. As I watched him, he started doing really fast circles on his own in the tank before retreating back to the live rock he was sort of perched on. I'm assuming this means he's dieing or sick - can anyone give me some feedback? (I just did a test of all my tank parameters and my ph is 8.1, nitirites 0, nitrates 30, ammonia almost 0, )

Thanks for any advice on what's wrong with him or if he has something that my other fish could catch

jg2269jg
04/17/2013, 09:46 AM
how long has your tank been setup? and what u mean by almost 0 on ammonia. does the fish have any open wounds, they are net caught and in my opinion don't really do well.

Dmorty217
04/17/2013, 01:59 PM
If you read threads on here you will see that many blue chromis have been dying for basically no reason. Most LFS have stopped buying them all together because the survival rate for some reason is 50% or below. I would stop buying them if it were me. I bought 25 chromis 8 months ago and only have 11 left. None showed signs of disease but rather just died or were bullied to death. I would stay clear of them if it were me

Lawman5014
04/17/2013, 04:14 PM
By almost zero I mean the color on my test kit looks practically like the color on the strip marked 0 but not quite exactly. But its close.

My tank has been set up for almost a year. That's really odd about Blue Green Chromis' dying recently as you stated. I thought they had a reputation for being one of the hardier varieties of fish. I wonder what's been the cause of that downward trend.

This post is now a moot point as after I originally posted it last night he decided to lay on the bottom of my tank and do what I would call a death flapping where he flapped around a bit and then lay still :thumbdown I went ahead and netted him out just to avoid any potential nitrate issues related to him decomposing. He ended up in a cup of water in the freezer (from what I've read that's the best way to put the wounded or sick down?)

He had zero wounds on his body from what I could tell. I hope my remaining two stay okay.