PDA

View Full Version : stichodactyla gigantea

Reefnation.Jon
04/17/2013, 08:30 AM
Giga Pros,

I am new to this anemone. I have kept other anemones and sps's successfully for years.

How difficult is this species? Is the one in the pic healthy? It looks a bit bleached. LFS is asking $125.

Please assist.

Thank you

Pinkskunk
04/17/2013, 08:37 AM
it looks super nice and healthy. as for care you need to dig up that info on RC, ther are a million and a half threads about this type of nem LOL.....

best of luck, i am super jeolous with you guys in IL.....

Also $125 for that at a LFS is considered super good price, at least for folks like me here in the Northeast.

Jerm0007
04/17/2013, 08:47 AM
I agree, looks pretty good. Bleached, but good. And also a real steal!

Gary Majchrzak
04/17/2013, 09:33 AM
nice looking anemone. Not a "steal" in my opinion but looks like a good deal.

Reefnation.Jon
04/17/2013, 09:44 AM
Thanks guys.

What is typical asking price for these?

aydemir
04/17/2013, 09:51 AM
Pretty close to 125 imo, LFS where I live sells from 90-150 depending on type, size, etc

OrionN
04/17/2013, 10:06 AM
300+ in corpus Christi, TX

OrionN
04/17/2013, 10:10 AM
That anemone is bleached but that is not a big concern. It looks reasonably good for gigantea newly import and in LFS. It is unreliable to tell the health of a Gigantea from looking at one picture or look at it one time. Un-healthy gigantea or magnifica can look good most of the time and deflated some time. As they get worst they will not look as good and deflate more and more. If he have been at the LFS for a while, then he is a good bet. Otherwise, be prepare to treat him with antibiotic in treatment tank.

xtlosx
04/17/2013, 10:50 AM
Looks reasonable as well.. Without seeing the behavior when the lights are ramping down, etc (look for deflation) it's impossible to tell. I picked up a purple gig that looked about as colored as yours, and within 3 months now the dark purple is just amazing looking, so be patient, they will come back if healthy..

Good luck and keep us posted, these animals are amazing.

Is this LFS located by O'Hare by any chance? I just found out this particular place just got in three green gigs as well.

Reefnation.Jon
04/17/2013, 12:12 PM
This LFS is a little further west than O'hare.

Do these anemones need, do better or doesnt matter to be hosted by clowns?

celamb89
04/17/2013, 12:44 PM
shouldnt matter if hosted or not... They are aggresive once settled in, so if you have pricey fish be prepared possibly lose them... IMO I would go for it, love nems, specially gigs

phender
04/17/2013, 12:52 PM
shouldnt matter if hosted or not... They are aggresive once settled in, so if you have pricey fish be prepared possibly lose them... IMO I would go for it, love nems, specially gigs

I have never heard of anyone losing a fish to a gigantea. Their sting is not nearly as strong as a haddoni. Haddoni on the other hand are strong enough to catch and eat fish.

xtlosx
04/17/2013, 12:54 PM
I have never heard of anyone losing a fish to a gigantea. Their sting is not nearly as strong as a haddoni. Haddoni on the other hand are strong enough to catch and eat fish.

While I agree as I have never lost a fish to either of our Gigs, I'm not so certain that if let's say our yellow tanng got caught in our Green Gig (more so than the purple) he wouldn't have a heck of a time getting himself out..

When I put a scallop on that green gig, anywhere, closes almost instantly like a bear trap, it's amazing.. The purple gig is gentler.

orangegoby
04/17/2013, 01:23 PM
That anemone is bleached but that is not a big concern. It looks reasonably good for gigantea newly import and in LFS.....

i am a newbie in anemones, isn't a bleached nem considered unhealthy and usually advised to avoid? as like a bta?

OrionN
04/17/2013, 01:45 PM
I actually lost a flame angel and a mandarin to my Gigantea. I think they can eat fish quite well. Mine are really sticky. My atlantic tang often have several tentacles attach to his tail and got ripped off. I am sure he won't be able to rip off 10 or 15 tentacles at a time. If that many got hold of him he is a gonner

cichlidconvert
04/17/2013, 03:55 PM
My blue gig was so sticky that I had a hard time letting it go. And I imagine that it would snag a fish pretty easy. I have not made contact with the green gig yet but the green is much larger.

Reefnation.Jon
04/18/2013, 08:14 AM
Well I pulled the trigger and picked it up last night. Settled in right away. Picture is from 1 hour after it was put in. It made its way to close to the top of the rock over night. Its roughly 10" across there is the pic.

xtlosx
04/18/2013, 08:17 AM
Well I pulled the trigger and picked it up last night. Settled in right away. Picture is from 1 hour after it was put in. It made its way to close to the top of the rock over night. Its roughly 10" across there is the pic.

Nice, up on the rocks is where it will go to, these are not sand dwelling anemones. Post pictures when the lights are on more later on.. Good luck.

Reefvette
04/18/2013, 08:20 AM
I have lost a orange shoulder tang and a bangaii cardinal to a 18 in gigantea.

http://i153.photobucket.com/albums/s234/ClownBailey24/IMG_2287.jpg (http://s153.photobucket.com/user/ClownBailey24/media/IMG_2287.jpg.html)

Reefnation.Jon
04/18/2013, 08:23 AM
I hope my orange should stays clear. What are peoples experiences with loosing fish to these? Sounds like its something to be prepared for.

OrionN
04/18/2013, 09:25 AM
i am a newbie in anemones, isn't a bleached nem considered unhealthy and usually advised to avoid? as like a bta?

It is better to avoid bleached anemone if there is a choice. Most of the bleach anemone will regain their zooxanthellae quickly without much problem if provide optimal condition. Becaus eof this reason, bleached or not is not a really important factor in choosing anemone if we are able to provide it with the best of care.

Reefnation.Jon
04/22/2013, 08:30 AM
Here is where he has settled in it seems.

aydemir
04/22/2013, 09:45 AM
looking good!

Reefnation.Jon
04/22/2013, 12:39 PM
Also wanted to mention my sargassum trigger got zapped pretty good by the new addition. he is eating and swimming fine. are there any long term effects from anenome stings?

xtlosx
04/22/2013, 12:42 PM
Also wanted to mention my sargassum trigger got zapped pretty good by the new addition. he is eating and swimming fine. are there any long term effects from anenome stings?

I had a chromis that got stung by a BTA in my old tank... he was really lethargic initially, swam oddly, eventually we think he went blind and didn't make it. Literally, out of all of the chromis put into the tank he darted directly into the BTA.. poor guy.

cichlidconvert
04/22/2013, 12:52 PM
You have a trigger in the tank with him? I wasn't sure if I could do that. Because I really have wanted to get a small picasso trigger thinking it would leave a carpet alone but never had the guts to do it.

Reefnation.Jon
04/22/2013, 12:58 PM
Ya I have a 4-5 inch sargassum in there. I figure he would only get stung once untill he learned. Sure enough it only took a few days. They are pretty tough fish and would assume a full recovery.

I have a 3" niger trigger Im going to try in this tanks as well once out of QT. . I love triggers but this will be an sps/anenome tank so its 50/50 as to if the niger triger will work.

cichlidconvert
04/22/2013, 01:01 PM
Hmmm makes me want to try the picasso.

Reefnation.Jon
04/23/2013, 07:39 AM
Just wanted to make sure the new giga is acting normal.

During the day when the lights are on it seems to spread out a little more. Basically following the contoures of the rocks to get as much surface area as possible. I would assume for light.

Then at night is seems to compact a bit and come off the rocks a bit to play in the current. Foot still attached.

Does this sound like normal behavior?

xtlosx
04/23/2013, 07:42 AM
Just wanted to make sure the new giga is acting normal.

During the day when the lights are on it seems to spread out a little more. Basically following the contoures of the rocks to get as much surface area as possible. I would assume for light.

Then at night is seems to compact a bit and some off the rocks a bit to play in the current.

Does this sound like normal behavior?

It does to me... As long as he isn't pancaking and tentacles deflating you should be fine.. it's perfectly normal for an anemone to get smaller at night, heck they probably need to rest as well.

My purple gig loses a lot of its size as night, then gets gigantic first thing when lights go on, while my green loses a little bit of size only.. You're fine, and just watch for continued health..

Reefnation.Jon
04/24/2013, 09:14 AM
Well one week in and it hasn't deflated once.

What is the best thing to feed these guys? Is feeding necessary?

Reefnation.Jon
04/30/2013, 11:27 AM
Gig went on the move over the weekend. ended up in the top corner of the tank. Any advice? I moved him back to the rock. and he has stayed put since Sunday.

I havent fed it any fish yet just little pieces of mysis. is this ok?

D-Nak
04/30/2013, 12:23 PM
Hmmm makes me want to try the picasso.

Not a good idea. Sargassum triggers are in the family Xanthichthys, and are the only trigger family that are generally considered reef safe since they are planktivores.

To the OP: If your gig is on the move, something isn't right. What kind of lighting do you have? And what are your water parameters? Gigs usually plant themselves as long as the flow and lighting are to their liking.

OrionN
04/30/2013, 12:56 PM
I agree with D-Nak. Either not enough flow or light. Good luck with him

cichlidconvert
04/30/2013, 01:04 PM
Thanks dnak I did the research and no way:)

Reefnation.Jon
04/30/2013, 01:07 PM
Thanks guys.

Flow and light are on the high side. I actually turned my LED's down because I thought maybe too much light. This was the first time it moved since the day I got him. He moved the first night then sat for 10 days then moved out of the light on sunday. Sould I increase my leds back to where they were?

I would assume flow is fine as well. 6400gph plus an eheim 1262 return pump on a 180 gallon.

He has found a nice little niche in the rocks on the bottom on the tank where he has stayed since sunday.

could it be hungry?

It hasnt defalted, mouth is closed, tentacle are gradually getting longer. everything else looks like its on the right track besides the afternoon strole

xtlosx
04/30/2013, 01:17 PM
Thanks guys.

Flow and light are on the high side. I actually turned my LED's down because I thought maybe too much light. This was the first time it moved since the day I got him. He moved the first night then sat for 10 days then moved out of the light on sunday. Sould I increase my leds back to where they were?

I would assume flow is fine as well. 6400gph plus an eheim 1262 return pump on a 180 gallon.

He has found a nice little niche in the rocks on the bottom on the tank where he has stayed since sunday.

could it be hungry?

It hasnt defalted, mouth is closed, tentacle are gradually getting longer. everything else looks like its on the right track besides the afternoon strole

I would put your LEDs back to normal, and let him find a spot.. If eventually the LEDs will be back to where they were, the Gig will find where it is comfortable. This new spot just might be greener pastures for your animal...

My green gig didn't get much mercy, lol. I put it right in the middle of my tank, under both Radion clusters, running 100% putting out over 1100 par..... Daily feeding, massive amounts of light, and he hasn't moved from this spot in over a month.

OrionN
04/30/2013, 01:22 PM
Here is a video of the flow my Gigantea get
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5J4rWaqK70U&feature=youtu.be

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X610E8tSQ_o

Reefnation.Jon
04/30/2013, 01:31 PM
I dont have quite that much on it. closer to this I would say.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EiHVJr1CkzU

OrionN
04/30/2013, 02:08 PM
Jon,
IMHO, you don't have enough flow on the Gigantea. Likely this is the reaseon for it's walk. The anemone picture in the video above is likely new. In my video, the anemones have not more from their spots for almost 1 year, getting healthier longer tentacles and continue to be healthy. All are uner 250 W MH

Reefnation.Jon
04/30/2013, 02:12 PM
thanks orion,

I can increase the flow if that seems to be the best option.

stickleback
04/30/2013, 03:41 PM
Jon,
IMHO, you don't have enough flow on the Gigantea. Likely this is the reaseon for it's walk. The anemone picture in the video above is likely new. In my video, the anemones have not more from their spots for almost 1 year, getting healthier longer tentacles and continue to be healthy. All are uner 250 W MH

For what its worth, the purple nem in the second vid has been in captivity in the uk for over 4 years. Its not new.

I do agree that it could do with more flow.

OrionN
04/30/2013, 03:57 PM
stickleback,
Is that your anemone? It is beautiful.

elegance coral
04/30/2013, 07:52 PM

Reefnation.Jon
05/01/2013, 09:12 AM
I have increased the flow. we will see how it responds. I have viewed a few videos of them in the wild and some are in virtually no flow in the wild while most in captivity are in very high.

Also are there some who dont feed their nems? I have never fed my RBTA's. Would it be safe to assume that they receive enough nutrients from fish food and mysis or brine.

xtlosx
05/01/2013, 09:15 AM
I have increased the flow. we will see how it responds. I have viewed a few videos of them in the wild and some are in virtually no flow in the wild while most in captivity are in very high.

Also are there some who dont feed their nems? I have never fed my RBTA's. Would it be safe to assume that they receive enough nutrients from fish food and mysis or brine.

I found that feeding mine more often when they first get into your tank helps until they get strong enough and acclimate... I have since stopped feeding my purple when the dark purple and zoox has really started to come back quickly..

My green was not bleached in the least, but wanted to feed it to help get it recovering and acclimating, and will start going to a 1-2 times a week feeding for both. They get food from my Rod's feedings daily, and they both eat plenty of my CUC members..

Reefnation.Jon
05/01/2013, 09:38 AM
Thanks for all the help!!!

I have attached a pic of the nem taken yesterday. Sorry for the blue light.

Please let me know if anything look OOTO.

stickleback
05/01/2013, 10:48 AM
stickleback,
Is that your anemone? It is beautiful.

No Mate, was offered it, but the seller wanted to much. Its been in at least 4 tank moves that I know of. They seem pretty bulletproof once they are established.