PDA

View Full Version : I suddenly want a laser cutter

sk8ter20art
04/17/2013, 12:10 PM
here is a cool video showing how to use a laser cutter to make 3d parts from single sheets of acrylic. Can see so many possibilities for aquarium diy projects.:bounce3::bounce3::bounce3:

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/arjRtCjI9AQ" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

rrasco
04/17/2013, 12:50 PM
I've been eying a laser cutter for a while now, but anything less than this simply won't do any more. Thanks for sharing.

sk8ter20art
04/17/2013, 01:19 PM
If I had the money for a laser cutter of that capability, I wouldn't be so much worried about diy, ex. I could buy whatever it was I was going to make.

I just thought it was cool they were using a tool for cutting to a new level by using it for making quality bends in acrylic.

Phinnay
04/17/2013, 09:18 PM
Think a water-cutter would be more appropriate for our hobby ;p

o2manyfish
04/21/2013, 10:04 PM
I fortunately have a friend with the laser cutter. We have used it to create smaller overflow teeth gaurds, an experimental Coraline remover, and a fluidized carbon reactor.

Water Jets are great for working with heavier materials. But the water is coming out as a stream and not a column, so the edge cut with a water jet isn't perfectly straight.

Laser works great for acrylic. The local tank manufacturers use laser cutting tables to cut the bases of the tank for all the bulkhead openings and the overflows.

The speed of the laser through 1/4 - 1/2 material is very impressive, and the edges are perfect.

Dave B