PDA

View Full Version : How to Introduce Banded Goby and Shrimp into Display Tank

joegoersch
04/17/2013, 01:11 PM
I recently purchase a hi fin red banded goby and a red banded snapping shrimp. The snapping shrimp was REALLY small, I was afraid it'd get lost in my 10 gallon quarantine tank. So I put the shrimp and goby along with a small piece of live rock in a breeder tank inside the QT. The shrimp and goby seem to be bonding well. I'm still only 6 weeks into quarantine, but when quarantine time is up, I'm wondering how best to introduce them into my 120 gallon display tank. I'm afraid that if they get separated upon introduction they won't find each other.

I'm thinking that if I put the breeder tank into the DT, I could then turn it over and then maybe remove the breeder tank. But I'm not sure about this. Any ideas ?

Airickj
04/17/2013, 02:16 PM
I recently purchase a hi fin red banded goby and a red banded snapping shrimp. The snapping shrimp was REALLY small, I was afraid it'd get lost in my 10 gallon quarantine tank. So I put the shrimp and goby along with a small piece of live rock in a breeder tank inside the QT. The shrimp and goby seem to be bonding well. I'm still only 6 weeks into quarantine, but when quarantine time is up, I'm wondering how best to introduce them into my 120 gallon display tank. I'm afraid that if they get separated upon introduction they won't find each other.

I'm thinking that if I put the breeder tank into the DT, I could then turn it over and then maybe remove the breeder tank. But I'm not sure about this. Any ideas ?

When I introduced my goby and pistol shrimp to my display, I added them one after the other. Of course they went there separate ways and I didn't see either one for a day or two. I could tell the shrimp was still there because it left evidence of its excavations (little piles of sand throughout the tank). The goby hid in the rocks for the first week or so then began poking his head out and getting more adventurous. After maybe 2-3 weeks the goby finally found the shrimp and they have been living together ever since. The point of my story is that they will most likely find each other even if they do get separated upon introduction. By having them in QT together, that should ensure they stay together when you introduce them. Even if they do get separated, which can easily happen, they will most likely find each other again.

Also, it may be a good idea to provide some sand for the pistol shrimp to dig in while spending time in the QT. You could use a tupperware container with some sand in it while keeping the remainder of the tank barebottom.

joegoersch
04/18/2013, 07:01 AM
Thanks. I'd hate for the friends to be permanently separated. I have a little sand in the breeder tank.