PDA

View Full Version : Hammer trimming

Caronte
04/17/2013, 05:36 PM
Hello everyone
I need a little be of help here, my hammer and frogspawn are growing very fast now, the Hammer are about 1" close to the water surface and start spreading to the sides as well, threaten my other corals. Can I trimmed somehow, or there is anyway to decelerated his growing rate? or I need to relocate, this last one can be a little hard to do it

Bpb
04/18/2013, 07:16 AM
Start fragging it man! Make some money or coral trades. Use a diamond wheel dremel blade. Remove the hammer or whatever rock it's on and cut off frags at the base of each skeleton branch

tektite
04/18/2013, 09:09 AM
Are they branching or wall varieties? If they're branching, its easy to cut off some frags. Wall euphyllia are a bit harder to frag.

RA
04/18/2013, 05:05 PM
Your frogspawn & hammer will get along with each other, so you might gain some space by moving them closer to one another. As mentioned before you go frag crazy is it a wall hammer or branching. I wouldn't cut a wall hammer unless it is 6" or larger.

Caronte
04/18/2013, 08:04 PM
It's a branching hammer, cemented in a big piece of rock. So yeah, probably I need to frag it with a big cutter. Another option is to considering upgrade my tank soon.
So, when I cut a branch do I need to heal the mother colony somehow? or it heals over time?

Spyderturbo007
04/22/2013, 09:33 AM
Don't take my word for it because I've never fragged anything, but I asked in another thread and was told to cut off a branch at the base with bone cutters. No one indicated that anything else needed to be done.

Here is a link (http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2282500) to the thread if you want to jump in or give it a read.

Caronte
05/04/2013, 09:35 PM
Don't take my word for it because I've never fragged anything, but I asked in another thread and was told to cut off a branch at the base with bone cutters. No one indicated that anything else needed to be done.

Here is a link (http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2282500) to the thread if you want to jump in or give it a read.

I was afraid to do that, but seems that I don't have other choice, unless I upgrade my tank sometime soon.

accordsirh22
05/04/2013, 09:45 PM
thats how i frag the branching ones. works fine

Caronte
05/05/2013, 12:30 AM
I take a little piece to see How it works; the cut was clean and easy but a lot of mucus start coming from both, the mother colony and the frag. By the time I wrote this, the mucus stops. I epoxy the frag on a piece of rubble and it's fine, but do I need to heal the mother colony somehow? or they heals by themselves?

accordsirh22
05/05/2013, 08:21 AM
im sure dipping it wont hurt. but i usually just put them back in their original position. it has never seemed to bother them before

rhdoug
05/09/2013, 07:37 AM
no need to let anything heal if you cut thru only the skeleton area, it is "dead".

Caronte
05/13/2013, 10:46 PM
no need to let anything heal if you cut thru only the skeleton area, it is "dead".

if the skeleton area is suppose to be dead, then Where the mucus come from¿

mike nickerson
05/15/2013, 11:14 AM
The only live part on a branching hammer and frog spawn are the polyps. Stocks are dead, so there's no healing involved

rhdoug
05/15/2013, 11:26 AM
Correct! The mucus is coming from the polyps.