PDA

View Full Version : Anyone heavily stock their eel tanks with corals?

cherubfish pair
04/18/2013, 06:29 AM
Since eels can be messy eaters do eel tanks have too many nutrients for lots of corals?

pictures?

mikem101
04/18/2013, 07:06 AM
Eels are "reef safe" as in they wont pick on corals but, due to their diet more then one eel in a tank and your nitrates are hard to keep in check. As well as when they swim around your reef they can knock over/ damage corals. They will eat you inverts like snails and shrimp/ crabs, they wont touch nems though. also no fish smaller then what they can swallow or they WILL eat it eventually. All in all they are gorgeous and wont eat coral but they do cause a head ache in a reef.

CenterConsole
04/18/2013, 07:30 AM
I tried to have a large 3ft eel in a reef, couldn't keep up with the water quality and lost most of my corals. I could have done more water changes and tried to keep up with everything, but it was just too much work for me. It can be done but eels make it a lot harder. My eel eats at least a dozen if not 2 dozen shrimp or equivalent of food per week, could eat a lot more if I fed him, he's a BEAST!

jjk_reef00
04/19/2013, 12:52 AM
I tried to have a large 3ft eel in a reef, couldn't keep up with the water quality and lost most of my corals. I could have done more water changes and tried to keep up with everything, but it was just too much work for me. It can be done but eels make it a lot harder. My eel eats at least a dozen if not 2 dozen shrimp or equivalent of food per week, could eat a lot more if I fed him, he's a BEAST!

Wow any pics?

CenterConsole
04/20/2013, 08:41 AM
Wow any pics?

I'm actually rehoming him hopefully this weekend. Here's the thread with a pic in it, note that lion is closer to 8" for size reference.

http://reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2272090

Das awesome
04/20/2013, 06:00 PM
I have my fimbriated eel in a 55g with some soft corals. I don't know if you count that as heavily stocked or not

6060reef
04/20/2013, 06:10 PM
My 8in Banana eel isn't messy at all.

namxas
04/22/2013, 09:36 AM
I kept an adult SFE in my mixed softy/LPS reef for a few years (until it started killing tankmates)...it was fine with the coral.

cherubfish pair
04/22/2013, 04:09 PM
i kept an adult sfe in my mixed softy/lps reef for a few years (until it started killing tankmates)...it was fine with the coral.
sfe?

namxas
04/22/2013, 04:26 PM
Snowflake Eel