PDA

View Full Version : keeping live rock question

blackde
04/18/2013, 04:19 PM
Hello everyone,

I recently purchased a used 58g reef ready tank that came with just about everything needed to start the tank up. I'm not planning on running the tank for a couple of months. Also I've been building a 30g sump. With the purchase I also got about 50 + lbs of live rock that was kept in water. I have a few questions about the rock if I may please.

The rock was in a sterilite tote with water from the old tank. The person I got it from slacked towards the end and just used tap water. The rock has some patches of green algae on it. I then used a 30g brute can to make a new saltwater batch. I had a powerhead and air on it for 24 hours. Off and on during that time I mixed about 1 or 2 gallons of the old saltwater into it. I then scrudded the rock with a tooth brush and picked off what algae I could. The only life I saw was about 20 or 30 of these little clear centipeed things that some measure about an inch or 2. I then put rock into brute with another powerhead and air plus a heater. I was planning on doing another water change in about 4 days.

So my questions are should I even bother doing all this and just bleach kill ect all life and reseed. Also my concern is that this rock was in a tank for a couple years and nothing cool will come out of it besides these worm things lol. I know most people seem to just keep lid on the can to kill the algae. Will this not kill the good algae as well? Or should I not worry about growing good algae until it goes in tank. Would it be ok to add creatures that eat algae? Snails ect or just let dark handle it.

Thx

Mark Bianco
04/18/2013, 05:25 PM
IMHO Stat over with the rock get rid of all unwanted pests, and algae's. Bleach it and or acid soak it, rinse it, then let it dry out for a few days. Then start over, curing the rock, then start cycling it. After all you said its going to be a couple of months before you start running the tank. By the time you get it up and running your rock will be just right to start your tank. I suggest research / reading curing and cycling rock.

Mark

cap032
04/18/2013, 05:52 PM
You could test the water to see if the rocks are leaching phos. If they are, there are several ways to deal with it, without killing off the rock. If the previous tank was poorly maintained, they likely will be leaching.

blackde
04/18/2013, 06:27 PM
Thx for the replays

Question, when and if I cure the rock I would kill all life. Then introduce ammonia to grow new bacteria. But what of the worms or other type of creatures. Would I need to purchase other live rock to get these creatures back? I have a master saltwater test kit but it doesn't have phos tester in it. Does petco ect sell them? I have I real nice fish store in my area but its 45 minutes away. Got a boat load of those chain stores within 10 minutes.

Thx again

cap032
04/19/2013, 08:43 PM
Thx for the replays

Question, when and if I cure the rock I would kill all life. Then introduce ammonia to grow new bacteria. But what of the worms or other type of creatures. Would I need to purchase other live rock to get these creatures back? I have a master saltwater test kit but it doesn't have phos tester in it. Does petco ect sell them? I have I real nice fish store in my area but its 45 minutes away. Got a boat load of those chain stores within 10 minutes.

Thx again

If you cook the rock, you will kill the worms and yes, you would have to buy a few pieces of live rock to seed it. If you cure it with just a heater, powerhead, skimmer, and of course salt water, you would not kill off the life. Yes, you can likely get a PO4 test at PetCo.