PDA

View Full Version : New GBTA owner; feeding question

voidg
04/21/2013, 08:19 AM
How can one determine if a GBTA is actually eating the food given to him vs just spitting it out? The spot where he has taken up residence makes it difficult to see if the food is coming back out. When I feed him he shrinks down a little between the crevice in the LR for a few minutes then comes back out, but never shrinks down entirely.

aydemir
04/21/2013, 02:37 PM
Well, if it poops then you'll know :dance:
Also, if you just got bta, I've heard to not feed it for about 3-5 days (maybe even a week) to reduce stress after adding it to a new tank. Only in extreme cases where the anemone is bleached is feeding right away necessary, you shouldn't feed it because it is still acclimating to its new environment

voidg
04/21/2013, 02:56 PM
Thanks for the reply.

Haven't seen the nem poop yet, as far as I can tell. Left him for a week to ensure he was acclimated and he was looking ok during that time. To start off I gave him some mysis every couple days, then switched over to chunks of silversides (now regretting this as I've since read human grade shrimp/squid etc is better). Anyway, noticed his tentacles are starting to look a little thin and some are starting to curl so I've upped the amount I'm feeding him. I don't have powerful lighting (4 T5 HO on a 54 corner) so I knew feeding would pretty much mandatory to keep him healthy. First nem, so just figuring out feed amounts, freq etc.

aydemir
04/21/2013, 05:46 PM
Well, I have an RBTA, but they're pretty similar - I'm keeping mine under much less light, and other than dosing phytoplankton and the occasional mysis feeding (2-3 times a month, maybe less) he gets food from the clownfish - I feed the clown flakes, both nem and clown seem to love them
Also, my nem doesn't really seem to shrink when it gets fed, I just see the tentacles move a bunch

voidg
04/22/2013, 10:19 AM
Interesting, maybe it's not a feeding/lighting thing. I have 4x24w bulbs (2x10k, 2xactinic). Thought was considered low lighting in this hobby. What sort of lighting do you have your RBTA under?

Reefnation.Jon
04/22/2013, 10:29 AM
I have had mine under LED. I never feed. It has split from 1 to 7 in around 1 yr.

aydemir
04/22/2013, 05:15 PM
Yeah, for your tank size that is on the low side for anemones. My tank is 5.5 gal and I have it under a 20watt 50/50 flourescent. Like I said I don't really feed, and the nem is doing great

voidg
04/23/2013, 08:23 AM
Well, something must have been inadequate at his old location as he is on the move again. Think I'm going to look at increasing my lighting as well.

reefs4lifee
04/24/2013, 07:33 AM
You know, you keep mention lighting but when it comes to anemones flow is also a big factor. What is your flow like in your tank?

Also, avoid feeding silversides, shrimp/squid are better for the simple fact that they have no bones. Anemones don't have the ability to digest bones therefore you run the risk of causing internal damage or puncturing the walls of the anemone.

Lastly, from what I've read/heard anemones in the wild aren't known to eat whole fish or any large meals for that matter therefore, if you're a heavy feeder like me then your daily fish food should suffice.

Daniel62
04/24/2013, 11:50 AM
I agree with the above post. Been doing a lot of readup on anemones and most of their food source is very small items. The study I read, says up to about 90%.