PDA

View Full Version : fighting high no3.....need opinions on fug!

CHSUB
04/21/2013, 05:13 PM
i have an ongoing issue with no3, right now they go between 5ppm and 10ppm between WCs. i have a SSB and minimal/pilar style LR. i found that a DSB and more LR controlled no3 much better. anyhow, i have an Aqua Medic Nitratereductor that has had minimal inpact. during wc i vacuum the sand, use a large skimmer, and have a small fish load. i have tried vinegar dosing but don't like it....

now my idea: i have a reverse lit fug that grows algae very well, not a speck of algae in the dt. i was thinking about running the fug 24 hours? would this have an effect on pods, etc or any other drawbacks. i realize my ph will be affected, but can't think of anything else.

H2OCulture
04/21/2013, 07:33 PM
I use biopellets with Microbacter7 and strong skimming for NO3 control. Increasing the photoperiod of your refugium should reduce NO3 to some degree, but be sure to harvest algae regularly. Walstad's awesome book "Ecology of the Planted Aquarium" describes all species of algae as "leaky". They will leach nutrients back into the water without regular harvesting. I would try a 18 hr cycle first and track the results. This will still give your fuge a dark period for all of the biological processes required during this cycle.

CHSUB
04/22/2013, 05:50 PM
I use biopellets with Microbacter7 and strong skimming for NO3 control. Increasing the photoperiod of your refugium should reduce NO3 to some degree, but be sure to harvest algae regularly. Walstad's awesome book "Ecology of the Planted Aquarium" describes all species of algae as "leaky". They will leach nutrients back into the water without regular harvesting. I would try a 18 hr cycle first and track the results. This will still give your fuge a dark period for all of the biological processes required during this cycle.

thanks, took your advice: 18 hr cycle and will harvest week vs monthly to prevent "leakyness". i like the idea of the fug having a dark period vs 24 hour lighting.

DeepThought
04/22/2013, 08:29 PM
Actually, just wanted to give my .02...

The "reactions" that you think occur at night used to be called "Dark reactions"... but has been changed to the more correct term of "light independent reactions" because they don't require light - or dark - in order to perform the reactions.

Running light over a tank less than 24 hours is only saving your electric bill - and not really doing anything to benefit the algae.

However, on scrubbers, it's actually better to cut back the lighting to 16 hours a day to prevent the algae from burning.

In any case - I don't think you could go wrong either way.

Sure, algae can also be a little "leaky" - but that's brought on by sexual reproduction caused by a rapid decrease in the amount of available nutrients. If you consistently keep your algae harvested, there is no reason why it should "leak" any nutrients back into the system.