PDA

View Full Version : Reef breeder led?

HUNTER1
04/22/2013, 03:15 PM
I would like to buy this led fixture. I know the group buy but I'm little late now. My question, I will be getting the value led for $179 shipped. This one has 120 degree optics and have other optic options, 60 and 90. What's the difference? Thanks
It's going to be n a 36" long tank.

reeftivo
04/22/2013, 03:35 PM
the difference is the focal spread with 120 giving you the widest coverage. The 90 and 60 would be more focused and thus better for deeper tanks. These lights are POWERFULL! I bought a photon 16 w/ 120 optics as a B day gift for a close friend and helped him install it this weekend. I couldn't believe the power. The touch screen and programming were a breeze too.

I have a kessil A350W running on my system and love that sucker but I probably would have bought the RB fixture if I knew what I know now.

Ron Reefman
04/22/2013, 04:09 PM
I would like to buy this led fixture. I know the group buy but I'm little late now. My question, I will be getting the value led for $179 shipped. This one has 120 degree optics and have other optic options, 60 and 90. What's the difference? Thanks
It's going to be n a 36" long tank.

I have doubts that 1 Value Fixture will cover a 36" long tank very well. Maybe with 120 degree lenses and if you hang it high enough. But both those options reduce your PAR values in the tank if you are planing on any sps corals. I'm not saying it won't work, just saying I think it's iffy. I tried 1 over a 4' tank with no optics and it hanging it up high and it wasn't even close to good enough. I think you'd be better off with 2 or with 1 Photon24. I hope somebody else with more experience on a 3' tank can jump in.

mc-cro
04/22/2013, 07:53 PM
I am seriously considering getting one of these as well for my 36"frag tank.

I think it may work for my application, as the tank is only 12" deep and 18"w. plus its a frag tank so total even spread is not as important.

what was the group buy? I guess its over?

HUNTER1
04/22/2013, 08:36 PM
I'm getting the photon 24" replacing my kessil 360w. Do I need to order this at their website?

reeftivo
04/22/2013, 10:21 PM
I ordered directly from their site and it was at my door in a week.

The light is great but Don't expect the incredible shimmer like the a360w. After we installed the 16 on my friends tank, I was surprised at the lack of shimmer compared to the the MH and kessils.

Ron Reefman
04/23/2013, 05:19 AM
I ordered directly from their site and it was at my door in a week.

The light is great but Don't expect the incredible shimmer like the a360w. After we installed the 16 on my friends tank, I was surprised at the lack of shimmer compared to the the MH and kessils.

You are right. It's not a single source light like a MH, and the kessil has leds grouped very close together so they act more like a single source, but they also shadow more than an led fixture with a good spread of leds. I agree that RB or EG leds don't offer much shimmer, but they make up for it in a lot of other ways.

reeftivo
04/23/2013, 07:20 AM
Yes! I noticed much better colors with the RB fixture. His zoas and duncans looked insane!

HUNTER1
04/23/2013, 07:57 AM
Actually since I installed the kessil my fish would not come out as they use to and the shimmer hurts my eyes. I think it's too much.

kpk
04/23/2013, 09:12 AM
Anyone have pics of the value fixtures? I'm working on a 48" 90 that's 18" tall. Sounds like would work good and cheap!

reeftivo
04/23/2013, 09:53 AM
Actually since I installed the kessil my fish would not come out as they use to and the shimmer hurts my eyes. I think it's too much.

Give it some time but if your unhappy with the kessil you could always sell it on the equipment forums and I'm sure you would get enough to P/U a photon unit from RB. That way you wont feel cheated and you'll have a solid powerful fixture.

Just a thought!

HUNTER1
04/23/2013, 12:12 PM
I ordered the photon 24" and when I get it I can return the kessil, it has 60 days return policy. I can never get use to the kessil, I thought I like shimmery look but I don't.

reeftivo
04/23/2013, 01:15 PM
the hanging kit that came with my friends had cables that were just too short for what he wanted so we ran over to HD and picked up some longer hanging wires and crimp caps. he has 10ft ceilings and I think they may even be too short for 8 ft so keep that in mind.