PDA

View Full Version : Question re K2 (and K1) kalk stirrers

joshlawless
04/23/2013, 04:44 PM
Hello,

I see from reviewing the description and the user manual that these stirrers need to be able to gravity feed their output to the system. I was wondering whether it is possible / advisable to use them in an "in-sump" configuration. For example, could I place them in an area of the sump where the water level is consistently lower than the outlet barb, and allow them to drain out that way? Or do they need to be kept out of the water?

Thanks!

shaggss
04/23/2013, 05:38 PM
I have mine in the sump with no issues. At the output, I left off the barbed hose fitting and added another elbow with some 1/2" pipe on an angle so it runs out smoothly.

Avast Marine
04/24/2013, 07:24 AM
As Shaggss said, there are no issues with using these in sump.

tramboneplayer5
05/14/2013, 04:03 PM
Can the K1 be used with the Tunze Osmolator ATO, or does the Tunze pump water too fast? I am assuming that the K1/K2 were designed with peristaltic pumps in mind.

tramboneplayer5
05/15/2013, 06:26 AM
For example, peristaltic dosing pumps run at around 0.017 gph, peristaltic top-off pumps run 0.8 gph, Tom's Aqualifter is 3.5 gph, and the Tunze Osmolator is around 14 gph. I am wondering whether the Tunze will cause solids to splash up from the bottom.

Avast Marine
05/15/2013, 01:01 PM
There are a few ways to make the Tunze pump (or any pump) to work. The easiest and most common is setting up a bypass tee and valve. This has been used by hundreds of K1 owners for maxijets so I know it works:

Put a tee after the pump towards the top of your bucket. One end goes to the K1, a reducer is probably needed to get it down to 1/4" RODI tubing, this can be as simple as a putting the 1/4" tubing inside the 3/8" tubing and securing with a zip tie.

Then take the second leg of the tee and install a valve, the end of this valve dumps back into the bucket.

The third leg of the tee goes to the pump.

This bypass valve assembly will now be able to be tuned to give you the appropriate flow. Anywhere between .5 - 10gph is recommended although a visual observation of the reaction inside the chamber is your best measurement tool.

Additionally, the bypass assembly will act as a siphon break from the pump to the stirrer which can be a really good thing if your water level in your bucket is higher than your stirrer.