PDA

View Full Version : Water Changes for SPS Tank

mchammer
04/24/2013, 06:49 AM
Is once a month too long for water changes in a SPS tank. I've always changed my reef tank water once a month but my old tank was soft and LPS corals and I never had a problem. Corals grew great, in fact the soft corals took over the tank and that made me decide on SPS only (easy to crop when needed). I have a low bio load right now just 4 fish (2 Clowns and 2 Damselfish).

Thank you in advance

sponger0
04/24/2013, 08:30 AM
Your water will tell you that. So test your water.

Der ABT
04/24/2013, 10:19 AM
depends on the size of the water change as well, what your corals are consuming etc.

even if you have a large bioload and you do a large water change 1 a mo things can go very happy, i like weekly or bi weekly 10-20% range for stability....but i know others that do more/less/none......every system is different and you wont know till you try.

I recently went about 5 months without changing the water ...moved and am building new tank while old tank is still up and running.....corals did fine for about 3-4 months....lost a little color but still grew and things got dirty, did a large water change and things started getting happier very quickly.

if your exporting the nutrients (macro algea, GFO/Carbon, Biopellets, skimmer) etc and mainting ca/alk/mg etc that is the big goal.

sponger0
04/24/2013, 10:24 AM
Again.....your water tests will tell you what you need to do.

Peter Eichler
04/24/2013, 10:39 AM
Again.....your water tests will tell you what you need to do.

I disagree with this. Generally I view water changes as good for the things that you can't test for and don't know. In a tank where nitrates are ND and phosphates are kept low, exactly what tests do you think will tell you it's time to do a water change?

sponger0
04/24/2013, 10:42 AM
I disagree with this. Generally I view water changes as good for the things that you can't test for and don't know. In a tank where nitrates are ND and phosphates are kept low, exactly what tests do you think will tell you it's time to do a water change?

Well I disagree with waiting months to do a water change just cause your trace elements and phosphates are fine.

kyle1284
04/24/2013, 01:46 PM
i preform mine bi-weekly 10% each time. no real reason why. I just know all it can do is help

Allmost
04/24/2013, 01:50 PM
i disagree with this. Generally i view water changes as good for the things that you can't test for and don't know. In a tank where nitrates are nd and phosphates are kept low, exactly what tests do you think will tell you it's time to do a water change?

+1

MammothReefer
04/24/2013, 02:15 PM
I change a couple times a month. When I reduce down to a monthly basis I see a decline in the appearance of my corals then when I do the water change everything looks great again. Tests all appear fine regardless but why stress my corals out to the point they start to appear "off" just to save myself 15 minutes once a month. I used to do them weekly and I would again if I had a 15 gallon bucket but it's easier for me to mix it up 30 gallons at a time.

penfold2
04/24/2013, 02:32 PM
I do water changes primarily as a way to siphon detritus from my sandbed and sump. So I do them as often as is necessary to prevent significant detritus buildup. I believe the nutrients contained in the accumulated detritus are much greater than the dissolved nutrients contained in the water. IMO a water change done without siphoning is a waste of good saltwater.

Reestablishing proper mineral concentrations is an important, but less critical benefit. An occasional water change should be all that is necessary for this.

screamingibis
04/24/2013, 06:08 PM
I do 4 gallons every four to five days in a 60 gallon mostly sps system. keeps water sparkling and only takes five minutes.

ashish
04/24/2013, 06:14 PM
In my opinion... it all depends on how stocked your tank really is.. If you have a small bioload of fish then 4-6 weeks is fine. If you have medium load then 4 weeks is fine, if you have a heavy heavy load then 2-4 weeks is fine. Also, take in to account the amount of corals you have which will use up trace elements.

I think it's more important to make sure you skimmer is working at 100% all the time and that means cleaning the venturi and hose every 2 weeks - making sure your carbon and sock are changed on time. With that said I try to do a water change every month but see very little effect in going up to 6 weeks. My tank is 120 gallon with very small bio load compared to the others i've seen.

kissman
04/24/2013, 06:57 PM
I change 10% every Sunday

westreef
04/24/2013, 07:08 PM
Just like you, I had a 75gallon of soft and LPS coral before and only did water change once a month with no issues. Now with half of a tank full of SPS and the other half LPS and softies and 9 fish, I do bi-weekly 20% water change. However, I have a much better skimmer to help out. My SPS are pretty happy.

Peter Eichler
04/24/2013, 07:10 PM
Well I disagree with waiting months to do a water change just cause your trace elements and phosphates are fine.

Wait, are you disagreeing with me or your earlier post... At what point did I imply someone should wait months for a water change? How would one know if their trace elements are fine? Also, what test kit will tell you it's time to do a water change?

What I'm saying is no test kit will tell you when to do a water change in a tank with low nitrates and phosphates. So, it's a good idea to do them as balance for the things you can't test for. I do about 20% ever 2-4 weeks, depending on how good I'm being ad my travel schedule.

drw94
04/24/2013, 07:14 PM
1st and 15th of every month 10%. Sometimes I get busy and do it once a month. Haven't seen any ill effects if I do it once a month. Then again every system is different. I would do at least 20% monthly, its up to you with once or twice at 10%

reefgeezer
04/24/2013, 07:34 PM
IMO... small, frequent water changes to maintain ion balances works well. There are many more efficient methods to reduce nitrate and phosphate. Somebody said it above... it's to "maintain the things we don't test for". I like the small and frequent schedule to reduce the chance of stressing the system. I do ~12% every week buy skip a week every once in a while.

Dmorty217
04/24/2013, 07:53 PM
If you could change as much water as you loose in evaporation everyday would be ideal. I do 20% every 2 weeks

trueblackpercula
04/24/2013, 08:52 PM
I change 2 gallons every Sunday

mchammer
04/25/2013, 06:37 AM
I have no problems with doing water changes. I've always done once a month for my old tank but like I said, it was soft and LPS corals which thrive on less then perfect water. I haven't kept SPS corals before so I just wanted to know if people with SPS tanks change their water more often. Looks like it runs the whole spectrum from once per week to once every 6 months. I'm going to start every two weeks 10 percent which is 15 gallons and see how the corals respond. Some people answer my next question which is "What is better small frequent water changes or large infrequent water changes"

Thank you all for the great input.

Touring
04/25/2013, 08:44 AM
A gallon a day.. takes 1 min. max

ashish
04/25/2013, 06:08 PM
I think you can go with many different methods...Most people are very quick to think there routine is the way to go. I think each individual hobbyist needs to find a system that works for them based on individual husbandry techniques. Smaller tanks would benefit from more frequent water changes while larger tanks could go with month water changes.

I spend a good amount of time each month making new water (25%) for my tank. I spend more time making sure its oxygenated and salinity and temperature are identical. Doing this on a weekly or bi-weekly bases (with my current system) probably would result in me being less careful in matching water parameters. When I set-up my larger tank I will make water changes as simple as switching few valves from a tank filled via float switch, aswell as having identical measurements of salt.

Other then that I would go based on your bioload - more fish and corals you add the larger,more frequent water changes you should make.

Daimyo68
04/25/2013, 10:40 PM
I go 5-6 months at a time without changing my water in my 75g SPS dominated tank. I dose Cal, Alk, (and trace elements when I remember) feed 6 fish heavily, and broadcast feed the corals twice a week. I do the same for my 57g Softie/LPS tank.

I test the water monthly, clean the skimmer completely (total tear down) once a month, and change filter socks (25 Micron) every 2-3 days. I run Phosban and have a fuge with chaeto.

I have a close friend who does the same on his tanks.

Every tank is going to be different. Your fish and corals will let you know if something is off. You will learn as time goes by how your tank looks at it's best, and if things are not looking good.

If I see something not right in my tank, I will do a WC before the usual time, but it's rare that I have to do that.

dustinc
04/25/2013, 10:53 PM
I do about 20% every 4 weeks.

ampemployee1
04/25/2013, 11:21 PM
Prior to my weekly 5% water change, I'll put my filter socks in place, blow detritus off the rocks, and siphon the shallow sand bed directly into the filter sock. I'll do the same with the chambers in my sump to remove accumulated detritus directly into the filter socks. When the tank clears of the suspended detritus, I'll do the water change, and remove the filter socks. It takes a little time, but I've seen great results in my parameters and health of my corals. I use Salinity salt that I've pre-mixed in a 32 gallon rubbermaid container. IMO, best salt mix available.

ridetheducati
04/26/2013, 08:33 AM
Why does everything have to be a debate. If your skills/husbandry are on par, water changes will be a minor aspect to your hobby experience. Find what works for you.

Daimyo68
04/26/2013, 12:19 PM
Why does everything have to be a debate. If your skills/husbandry are on par, water changes will be a minor aspect to your hobby experience. Find what works for you.

+1, my point exactly.