PDA

View Full Version : Frag Swap Necessities?

Spyderturbo007
04/25/2013, 10:01 AM
So I'm heading to Williamsport on Saturday for a frag swap and wanted to find out what I need to bring. It's about 2 hours each way and I know they are having guest speakers and lunch, so it will probably be an all day affair.

What do I need to bring with me to keep what I buy alive? I was at one a couple months ago, but it was closer to my house and I wasn't there very long. I did see a bunch of people with coolers. Should I bring a cooler and buy some heat packs or something?

Is there a list of "must haves" when attending a swap a few hours away?

SpartaReef
04/25/2013, 10:03 AM
I'd like to know as well.

Cymonous
04/25/2013, 10:11 AM
I would go with a couple styrofoam coolers and some heat packs. Make sure to put your name on the coolers.

Fizz71
04/25/2013, 11:07 AM
+1 on the cooler and heat packs. What I use are the chemical hand, back, foot warmers from walmart and cvs. I either duck tape the ends to hang from the lid, or buy the ones that stick on your back and stick that to the lid. They have a longer life than the smash and shake heat packs.

I know heat rises so the lid isn't the most efficient place to put them, but you have to make sure you don't over heat your corals...you can stick them to the walls too.

And if you pre-reserve any items to trade on the website I can't mention by name (because I run it and they'd slap my wrists if I did) make sure you print your list.

And finally...bring cash! :) ...but no more than you're willing to not go home with.

Spyderturbo007
04/25/2013, 11:46 AM
Would something like these hand warmers (http://www.walmart.com/ip/Hot-Hands-Value-Pack-10pk/17808715) be appropriate?

And if you pre-reserve any items to trade on the website I can't mention by name (because I run it and they'd slap my wrists if I did) make sure you print your list.

I found two things on their that I hit the reserve button for, but where do I go to print the list? Do I have to wait for the seller to accept? It's listed under the "Active Requests" section, but not under the "Items Promised to Me".

Fizz71
04/25/2013, 12:52 PM
Would something like these hand warmers (http://www.walmart.com/ip/Hot-Hands-Value-Pack-10pk/17808715) be appropriate?

That's what I used to use. They are a little small and will need to be taped someplace not against your corals, but that will do the job. The last swap I think I used a CVS generic back warmer...it had a longer lifespan than the other adhesive ones anmd a good price (on sale).

The name brand hothand ones you have there are 10 hours which is great. The prices are all over place so you have to look at size/time/count per box to get the best deal. ..the things we buy for our reefs.

They're calling for almost 70deg. this weekend so it won't be too bad..unlike the freezing temps I've had to cart frags home in. :)

Fizz71
04/25/2013, 12:56 PM
I found two things on their that I hit the reserve button for, but where do I go to print the list? Do I have to wait for the seller to accept? It's listed under the "Active Requests" section, but not under the "Items Promised to Me".

jrhaughey didn't accept your requests yet--you may want to smack him with an email. If he accepts the "Check List" on that page will get you the list I was talking about--but if you only have one guy to find I wouldn't worry about it...Some people have 10 or more people to hunt down and keep track of what they are getting...and owe.

Spyderturbo007
04/25/2013, 01:22 PM
Thanks for your help Fizz. Anything else I should bring, like extra bags or rubber bands?

stingythingy45
04/25/2013, 01:28 PM
Yikes,don't bring a styrofoam cooler.Those squeeking contraptions are too big and too noisy for frag swaps.Just get a small Igloo cooler with a handle.
And bring some extra plastic bags(freezer bags).You never know when one might come in handy.And you can fill them with warm water from the bathroom incase it's a cold day.

stingythingy45
04/25/2013, 01:30 PM
Oh and stay till the end.
Sometimes,deals can be made as most sellers do not want to pack frags up and drive home with them.
This advice will cost you one high end frag.:lol2:

Fizz71
04/25/2013, 02:28 PM
Thanks for your help Fizz. Anything else I should bring, like extra bags or rubber bands?

I've never had a problem with asking somebody there bagging frags on the spot for a spare bag or rubberband so I don't bother. Now if you're live bagging frags yourself you should bring your own...but the people at the swap you're going to are (mostly) nice. :) ..so if something breaks you can just ask somebody for help.

..and I probably should have specified...SOLID cooler..not those cheapy styrofoam things UNLESS it's one of the thick ones used for shipping livestock (but they don't have handles). I actually have a cooler on rollers...I'm lazy.

Have fun at the swap...I sadly have to miss this one.

Fizz71
04/25/2013, 02:29 PM
Oh and stay till the end.
Sometimes,deals can be made as most sellers do not want to pack frags up and drive home with them.
This advice will cost you one high end frag.:lol2:

FIRE SALE!!! ....everything's cheaper in the last 30 minutes. :)