PDA

View Full Version : Low alkalinity salts and mixes

codyreed29
04/25/2013, 11:02 AM
I have been using reef crystals and the alk is high I switched to io and was wondering if nyone knows of some low alk salts.

jabbott
04/25/2013, 07:45 PM
What do you consider high? Reef crystals isn't really that high at all.

Reefin' Dude
04/30/2013, 09:22 AM
i would consider anything higher than NSW levels high. that would be 7 (http://www.reefkeeping.com/issues/2004-05/rhf/index.php).

G~

jabbott
04/30/2013, 09:29 PM
There is a reason the salt mixes are higher than 7. With corals in the tank, if you start at 7 you are going to need to dose alk multiple times a day to keep it there. It will stay stable longer with higher levels.

TimeConsumer
04/30/2013, 09:33 PM
Red Sea original has an alk around 8dkh.

Southreef
04/30/2013, 09:33 PM
I just made the switch from reef crystals to DD H2Ocean which has an alk just below 9.0. The salt mixed cleaner and with less PO4. After about a month I have had fantastic results as far as better polyp extension and less algae growth than when using reef crystals. I will say though that even though the reef crystals ALK is high that you would have to do an extremely large water change proportionately speaking to have a major(bad) effect on your tank's ALK levels.

Spyderturbo007
05/01/2013, 08:00 AM
I've been looking at switching to Red Sea (http://www.redseafish.com/index.aspx?id=4330) which claims to mix at an Alkalinity of 7.3 - 7.7dKh @ 33.5ppt. My tank is ULN and I run Alkalinity around 7.5dKh or my corals bleach.

Reefin' Dude
05/01/2013, 08:31 AM
There is a reason the salt mixes are higher than 7. With corals in the tank, if you start at 7 you are going to need to dose alk multiple times a day to keep it there. It will stay stable longer with higher levels.

this is really only true if you are fighting the bacteria trying to process excess detritus. the less poo kept as a pet the less alk needed to feed the bacteria to feed on the poo. the more alk available for the organisms we would like to keep.

i had little problem keeping an alk of 7 with 7 clams and plenty of SPS colonies and frags in a 125g tank. 2 of the clams were over 5". i was able to keep alk and Ca at NSW levels with just water changes (about 10g a week) and kalk used in the top off.

G~

codyreed29
05/01/2013, 08:44 AM
Ok Cool I'm starting to use instant ocean. Which has a lower alk( was about 9 last time i checked and I can dose magnesium and calcium. I guess i'm just going to have to test once I put some corals.

Justdrew
05/01/2013, 06:56 PM
Some recent batches of IO, including a 200 gallon box I got a month ago is testing out about 12 dkh. Others are seeing the same numbers.

Spyderturbo007
05/02/2013, 05:53 AM
Justdrew is correct. My IO tests around 11.5 or so. I'm switching as soon as this last bucket is empty. I'm sick of the Alk spike associated with a water change.

codyreed29
05/02/2013, 12:44 PM
What salt ar you going with? I might like to mix some red sea pro and instant ocean. Mixing the salts to get dkh around 8-9. I've got alkanity bottle maybe after it runs out I could start mixing IO and red sea.

tomservo
05/05/2013, 04:38 PM
I too am looking for a low alk salt, seachem is what I have but it mixes to like 9-9.5 @1.025.. Since my doser runs 12 times a day, I want a salt that mixes more like 7 dKH, which is where I have been keeping my tank.

GroktheCube
05/05/2013, 05:20 PM
ESV B-ionic has whatever alkalinity you want. IME, using the suggested doses (by weight), alk is about 9. A bit higher than NSW, but not high enough to cause a big spike on WCs. Keep in mind that using less than suggested amounts of the alk or cal ingredients will reduce other elements a bit too.

From the testing I did, Brightwell seems to be the lowest alk while still having enough cal and mag. It was between 7 and 8.5. I still prefer ESV. It mixes much faster, and is FAR more consistent. There is zero variation between different batches of NSW made with ESV. I haven't found another salt that will mix 30g completely (clear, homogenous) in 10 minutes or less.

codyreed29
05/06/2013, 11:44 AM
All i can get localy is io and rc. So i would have to order this stuff from online. Thnx for all the input I think red sea Is what ill end up using.

stevedola
05/08/2013, 01:03 PM
I keep my Alk at 7.0-7.5 . I have a 13" squammy and a bunch of SPS and have no problem maintaining Alk steady dosing 4 times a day on my bubble magnus. IMO there is no need to keep Alk as high as some do. 10 is too high. My best experience with growth, color and health is from ALK in the 7.0-7.5 area. Anything higher and corals are temperamental.

Spyderturbo007
05/08/2013, 07:28 PM
All i can get localy is io and rc. So i would have to order this stuff from online. Thnx for all the input I think red sea Is what ill end up using.

That's what I'm switching to after this bucket.

Dmorty217
05/08/2013, 08:37 PM
Haven't check the IO in newly mixed water in awhile, I do 30g water changes every week to week nd a half and my DKH won't go over 9 and I dose

TankStudy
05/09/2013, 07:45 AM
I keep my Alk at 7.0-7.5 . I have a 13" squammy and a bunch of SPS and have no problem maintaining Alk steady dosing 4 times a day on my bubble magnus. IMO there is no need to keep Alk as high as some do. 10 is too high. My best experience with growth, color and health is from ALK in the 7.0-7.5 area. Anything higher and corals are temperamental.

Hmph, thats right around where I sit. Maybe I should be happy then I guess lol.

Reefin' Dude
05/09/2013, 09:27 AM
i think the hobby seems to push elevated levels to the detriment to the corals wanting to be kept in the hope of higher growth. corals can only utilize so much alk for skeleton production. adding more just gums up the works and creates problems. the corals are fine tuned organisms for NSW. i can see maybe upping alk by .5, but going up above 10 or more is huge percentage change of a compound that is vital to the corals function.

G~

codyreed29
05/09/2013, 10:12 AM
I guess they make IO with a higher alk due to the noobs and such. Since it's so mass produce and readily the most available. If you wanna be a pro ruby like one??? I've got a few weeks then I need to switch. I've let my tank cycle twice and go for about three months and only pput one coral in a week ago. another month and i'll ad a nem i want him to get in his spot before a bunch of coral is added. that's when i'll switch.

Timber77
05/22/2013, 03:52 PM
Tropic Marin seems to be used alot by the locals near me. I personally like the higher alk salts but i have a pretty big tank so a little extra alk in a water change doesnt really spike my system.