PDA

View Full Version : GSP coral ID?

Nparker0400
04/25/2013, 04:54 PM
I was sold my first frag yesterday and it is open and everything is good, but it was sold to me as a Branching GSP and I cannot find any information on this. Can anyone please help with the correct id or have any experience with this type of GSP? The branches look hard, but they are quite soft and fleshy. This is the only picture i can find that matches what i might have http://www.aquaticartinc.com/item.php/40. The had a larger specimen on their display tank that looked just like this and said it was fragged from that.

SushiGirl
04/25/2013, 07:47 PM
Mine does the same thing. Supposedly there's a type that does & a type that doesn't. I have no idea the correct scientific name of either because I can't find the original place I discovered that some do that & some don't LOL. Scientific names when it comes to GSP have been a mess forever, and when you think they're straightened out, someone comes up calling them something else & it starts all over.

akitareefer
04/25/2013, 08:25 PM
There is a branching version, I had a piece at one point. I unfortunately don't know the scientific name either

Nparker0400
04/25/2013, 11:05 PM
Nice is the care the same and does it spread to other rocks or will it branch out and up? Thank you guys for the response

Nparker0400
04/25/2013, 11:07 PM
Sorry about the double post, but I posted in the main soft coral forum and realized there was a subgroup for help with coral id.

SushiGirl
04/25/2013, 11:33 PM
Nice is the care the same and does it spread to other rocks or will it branch out and up? Thank you guys for the response

Mine branches mostly out. Usually they get a bit too heavy to stay very vertical. Most of mine branch out or up, get really close to touching something (like my overflow where I want it to grow), then get too heavy & start to sag. If they touch something, they grow on it pretty quickly. I watched the first branch for a long time, it got sooo close to the overflow & the next day it sagged. It eventually got long enough to touch the next branch of the rock it was on & attached there. The thing is, it pretty much only spreads upward once attached so if it's the top of a rock it will branch again since it can't go up. Mine now has tons of branches.

Nparker0400
04/26/2013, 11:38 AM
Awesome, should be a great first addition to my tank. I have it in the middle of my tank with high to moderate flow on a table so it should create lots of branches. Thank you very much for the info I couldn't find it anywhere.

SushiGirl
04/26/2013, 01:56 PM
I wish I could find the original page where I found info that they branch. I didn't know there were kinds that did & kinds that didn't until someone mentioned it. I'll do another search & see if I can find some info again.

Nparker0400
04/26/2013, 09:40 PM
I wish I could find the original page where I found info that they branch. I didn't know there were kinds that did & kinds that didn't until someone mentioned it. I'll do another search & see if I can find some info again.

That'd be awesome. Thank you

RA
04/29/2013, 06:41 AM
I believe it could be a Corky Eco-Gorg. See if this link matches what you have. I know the color is different, but it could be from that family of corals.

http://www.aquascapers.com/store/eco-gorgs/265-purple-candelabra-eco-gorg-plexaura-flexuosa.html

SushiGirl
04/30/2013, 01:07 PM
The polyps are serrated like that. I think the biggest problem with this ID is that you don't know how old the info is that people are getting the ID from. Just like us, sellers & even collectors could be going on old information & just calling it what they always have known it by. For instance, I didn't know it was no longer considered Clavularia (after it was no longer called Briareum), so I've been calling it Clavularia. This is one of those situations where the internet just confuses the issue more LOL.