PDA

View Full Version : Lunar Wrasse on attack question

Hbohi
04/26/2013, 12:49 PM
Hey Guys,
Ive had a lunar wrasse for about a month now and with it I have a yellow tank, hippo tang, diamond goby, 2 damsels, 2 clowns skunk shrimp, some snails and hermits, Not having any problems with any of my fish. I got a fire shrimp last night and within 5 mins of putting him in the tank, my lunar wrasse literally ate him. Is that normal? Why would he eat my fire shrimp and not my skunk shrimp or any of my snails?

enjetek
04/26/2013, 01:16 PM
Just wait till it gets bigger. That is an aggressive wrasse that can live with killer triggers. If things are small enough to eventually be eaten they will be

Hbohi
04/26/2013, 01:22 PM
will it start to attack my other fish too??

GrendelPrime76
04/26/2013, 01:31 PM
http://www.liveaquaria.com/product/prod_display.cfm?c=15+1379+346&pcatid=346

CedzAquAddictio
04/26/2013, 01:48 PM
Best practices are to add new livestock with the lights off while all fish are sleeping. There may still be some aggression when the lights come on but it will hopefully not be as immediate.

Also: Fish tend to take any object that hits the surface and falls to the bottom as food, and will go for it, sample it, and sometimes eat it. This may explain why your existing shrimp is unbothered...

Oh yeah. Shrimp are a natural prey item for this fish too.

Expensive meal for the wrasse, huh? LOL...

Hbohi
04/26/2013, 01:53 PM
I know I was mad when he ate him...haha..I did turn off the light but the wrasse still swam around so he could have thought It was feeding time. who knows. this is my first "aggressive" fish and I don't really know a lot about the wrasse on top of that... Thanks for your input

power boat jim
04/26/2013, 01:54 PM
will it start to attack my other fish too??

No, not likely. Mine has never bothered his tankmates. He will however eat inverts as you have seen. Mine also will swim through the sand at a good rate of speed and eat whatever he stirs out of the sand. The upside is mine ate every flat worm that was in the tank.

WestTexasReefer
04/26/2013, 02:01 PM
I had one when I had an aggressive tank and I could couldn't keep any inverts in the tank. It didn't bother the fish that were in the tank but when I added a Harlequin Tusk after he was established it was war. It chased it relentlessy and I had to catch the Tusk and return it to the LFS. A little battered but he survived. Just be careful of anything you add as they can be aggressive to newcomers.

Hbohi
04/26/2013, 02:24 PM
Thank you for the info. I have about 10 snails and about 3 hermits left in that tank and I noticed that one snail the shell was empty and my goby was carrying the shell around in his mouth and I thought it was my goby. Now i'm thinking it was the wrasse. Ill keep an eye on my snails.. Thanks again

MrTuskfish
04/27/2013, 11:24 AM
Maybe the stickys and every decent book are on to something: Research fish before buying.

Kev
02/07/2016, 06:38 PM
This is what my 6in lunar did to my 4.5in sailfin tang on one of its bipolar days, lol

boostedvq
02/07/2016, 06:44 PM
This is what my 6in lunar did to my 4.5in sailfin tang on one of its bipolar days, lol
Oh wow...that guy looked like he got assaulted in a back alley

BlueMac92
02/07/2016, 09:18 PM

The last lunar wrasse I allowed to be ordered at our shop was returned 3 times. I warned the person who special ordered it, and everyone else thereafter. None of them listened until it killed one of their fish. I finally said screw it and threw it in our 600g live rock bin. That way when people asked I just said "sorry I can't catch it". They are pretty fish with a nasty, nasty attitude.