PDA

View Full Version : Tropic Marin Bio Calcium?

aydemir
04/27/2013, 09:46 PM
I was at the LFS today, and asked about their display tank, probably the best I've seen for its size. (link: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qjnBU3XcZAY)
They told me they only dosed bio calcium, can anyone vouch for its effectiveness? It sounds like such a simple solution since they don't use reef salt (loads of money saved :spin1:) and they don't dose anything else at all.

Reefmedic79
04/28/2013, 11:42 AM
They don't use reef salt? Are they using natural sea water? Are you sure you're don't mean Tropic Marin Bio-actif?

Bio-Calcium is used to raise the Calcium levels in the tank. It's likely they are using something else to help maintain alkalinity, or they're doing frequent enough water changes to maintain the buffer in the tank.

aydemir
04/28/2013, 02:20 PM
Well, they seem like really honest guys since they just run their business for fun. Unless they lied or I missed something, he said he uses Instant Ocean salt (for fish only tanks) and then doses bio-cal until the calcium and magnesium levels are adequate for a reef. He said he does a 10% water change every month. I believe he has MH lighting and LEDs on that tank, other than the LEDs he said he hasn't changed the way he runs the tank since 6-8 years ago. If it ain't broke, don't fix it I guess

SeabassSA
04/28/2013, 02:29 PM
Bio calcium is both a alk and cal supplement. Been using it for 2 years 10 months.

Mg must be dosed separately, I use kent m for this. It is actually simple once your system is in balance. But if one parameter is out it needs its own supplement until parameters are back in line.

For that I use seachem for alk and Dow flakes for calcium.

aydemir
04/28/2013, 04:23 PM
Bio calcium is both a alk and cal supplement.
LOL I meant alkalinity :headwally:
He definitely said that bio-cal is the only thing he dosed, and he maintains the calcium and alkalinity using only the bio-cal