PDA

View Full Version : Order to add stuff when setting up tank

lwillis22
04/28/2013, 03:42 PM
Sorry for a million questions but setting up a new tank and I can't remember what order I should add stuff in. Is it water, rock and sand or sand, rock and water or neither..lol.

thegrun
04/28/2013, 04:39 PM
rock, water, sand is my preferred order, but rock sand water would work if you are able to add the water slowly without stirring up the sand.

reefwannabe1
04/28/2013, 06:33 PM
I did rock, sand and then water. I just poured water over the rocks and it did not create a sandstorm.

Sk8r
04/28/2013, 07:08 PM
I lay down eggcrate lighting grid (Lowe's, lighting) first, to prevent point-load on the glass and keep rock from rolling, then base rock, then washed sand; then I add water, then the live rock. Setting down a mixing bowl atop your sand and rock to pour water into will keep your sand where you put it.

oh207
04/28/2013, 11:52 PM
I'm in the process of a new setup and did base rock, sand, water. The tank was cloudy for over a week; I didn't wash the aragonite sand. I add live rock after the first week and the cloudiness cleared up within 2 days. I don't know if this is the right way but have spent many hours reading on the various options and decided on this route. I can attest that the cloudiness was a very painful experience. Now the tank is clear. Good luck.