PDA

View Full Version : Need help with bleaching orange torch.

Reef Noob
04/28/2013, 05:50 PM
I have had my orange torch for about four months and it has been quite healthy the whole time. Today I noticed that the top portion is almost pure white. It is about at the top 1/3 of the tank under LED's. The blues are turned up all the way and the whites are at about 50%. I don't remember the par value at that location but I can check.

Yesterday I did a small water change (less than 10g in a 150g tank), but I also added about 1L of Purigen to a reactor. My nitrates were just a hair over 20ppm prior to either. PO4 was at <.25, alk 105 dKH, ph 7.8-8.0

Par & nitrate reading soon to follow.

Any help or advice about bleaching torches will be greatly appreciated.

Reef Noob
04/28/2013, 06:03 PM
The nitrate part of the mystery is solved. I forgot to hook up the Purigen reactor (doh).

As far as the par meter, you know that feeling where you are certain that you still own something when you start looking for it...only for that feeling to quickly turn to despair? That's what I'm experiencing right now.

Reef Noob
04/29/2013, 02:36 PM
I found the par meter. On the left side of the torch is 111 and on the right is 132. What are the light requirements for a torch?

Although this seems low, my regular torch is doing far better on the sand in an area with only 64 par. Weird.

Reef Noob
05/12/2013, 12:38 PM
I think I hear crickets in here.

Squared
05/12/2013, 01:38 PM
you could try feeding it, but other wise it seems like you've got a handle on things. i've had a torch completely bleach out then after a few months start getting some color...i would move it down.

mfinn
05/12/2013, 01:39 PM
I think you answered your own question.

A torch down lower ( or lower par) is doing fine while the other torch up high ( higher par) isn't.

I have several torch corals mostly in the middle range of a 20" deep tank with a Radion 9" over the water. I have the Radion set to 65%, but I acclimated them to the led light over a 5-6 week period and even then it took several more weeks before they looked as good as they did using T5's.