PDA

View Full Version : Needing Help with my fish list for new 240 Gallon Reef tank

Chi Town Reefer
04/28/2013, 06:59 PM
I am currently putting together my fish list of what I would like to put in my new 240 gallon reef tank. I have a deep sand bed and about 400 lbs of live rock. From other experiences please tell me if the fish I have in mind will work together or not. So far here is what I have in mind. Any suggestions or additions are greatly appreciated.

Blue Spotted Jawfish X 1
Scissortail Dartfish X 4
Firefish X 4
Pajama Cardinalfish X 5
Ocellaris Clownfish X 1
Three Stripe Damselfish X 5
Strawberry Dottyback X 1
Blonde Naso Tang X 1
Blue Hippo Tang X 1
Naso Tang X 1
Unicorn Tang X 1
Yellow Tang X 3
McCosker's Flasher Wrasse X 1

Dmorty217
04/28/2013, 08:19 PM
Two nasos in a 240 isn't the most advisable, I would pick one or the other. Unicorn tangs also get huge. The dotty back may bully the dart fish and fire fish.the clown and or damsels will be territorial for sure, especially when they get big. I would scratch the damsels and the cardinals and get a harem of anthias, or a pair of angels like some Bellus ( if it were me)

Ambition
04/28/2013, 08:36 PM
I am currently putting together my fish list of what I would like to put in my new 240 gallon reef tank. I have a deep sand bed and about 400 lbs of live rock. From other experiences please tell me if the fish I have in mind will work together or not. So far here is what I have in mind. Any suggestions or additions are greatly appreciated.

Blue Spotted Jawfish X 1 The fish require temperate water temps, and can easily become underfed from competition for food
Scissortail Dartfish X 4
Firefish X 4 Will work singly or as a bonded pair, more and they end up killing each other
Pajama Cardinalfish X 5
Ocellaris Clownfish X 1
Three Stripe Damselfish X 5 experiences vary, but these may become aggressive to other fish
Strawberry Dottyback X 1 generally considered to be aggressive, I'd suggest an orchid dottyback in its place
Blonde Naso Tang X 1 choose this or the other naso
Blue Hippo Tang X 1
Naso Tang X 1 choose this or the other naso
Unicorn Tang X 1 needs a MUCH bigger tank, and many (myself included) believe they shouldn't even be available because of how large they get
Yellow Tang X 3

I made comments on the fish you listed in blue above.

Chi Town Reefer
04/29/2013, 09:09 AM
Two nasos in a 240 isn't the most advisable, I would pick one or the other. Unicorn tangs also get huge. The dotty back may bully the dart fish and fire fish.the clown and or damsels will be territorial for sure, especially when they get big. I would scratch the damsels and the cardinals and get a harem of anthias, or a pair of angels like some Bellus ( if it were me)

How many Anthias is advisable for me to put in here. I love the schooling effect of them.

Chi Town Reefer
04/29/2013, 09:39 AM
[QUOTE=Chi Town Reefer;21451375]I am currently putting together my fish list of what I would like to put in my new 240 gallon reef tank. I have a deep sand bed and about 400 lbs of live rock. From other experiences please tell me if the fish I have in mind will work together or not. So far here is what I have in mind. Any suggestions or additions are greatly appreciated.

Revised List still in the works.

Bellus Angel Fish X 2
Scissortail Dartfish X 5
Purple Firefish Goby X 1
Yellow Watchman Goby X 1
Luretail Anthias X 10
Mated Pair of Australian Black Percula Clownfish X 1
Orchid Dottyback X 1
Blonde Naso Tang X 1
Blue Hippo Tang X 2
Yellow Tang X 3

Questions:
1, Will adding a Clown Tang be out of the question with the above list?

hobbzz
04/29/2013, 10:13 AM
The new list looks good. I can't comment on the clown tang or pair of hippos though. As for the angels they will be fine with the list. I would suggest a female that's smaller than the male, and adding her first. Finding ones already paired will be hard, but preferable. For the anthias I would get all females and let them sort out which will become male. Personally I find lyretails better looking. I would also do a pair of clowns as opposed to one.

Dmorty217
04/29/2013, 08:54 PM
Depends on how many different types of anthias you want. If you get two different kinds you could do one male and 4 females for a harem so at least 5 or if you choose two different kinds you could do 5 of each. The clown tang also isn't advisable, the are SUPER aggressive and will harass all other tangs. Think Maculiceps or maybe Sohal even though your tank maybe a little small for a Sohal

Chi Town Reefer
05/06/2013, 10:26 AM
Picked up a 30 gallon tank for a QT, got it up and running. About to place first order of fish and want to make sure the list is ok to all be put together in same QT tank.

1 x 1.5"-2.5" McCrosker's Fairy Wrasse
1 x .75"-1.5" Yellow Watchman Goby
1 x 1.25"-2.25" Male Lyretail Anthias
8 x 1.25"-2.25" Female Lyretail Anthais

Fish Biscuit
05/06/2013, 01:04 PM
That's a lot of fish in QT together. Personally I would go with 2 or 3 fish in there or split them up between 2 separate QT tanks.

jduck
05/06/2013, 01:34 PM
Picked up a 30 gallon tank for a QT, got it up and running. About to place first order of fish and want to make sure the list is ok to all be put together in same QT tank.

1 x 1.5"-2.5" McCrosker's Fairy Wrasse
1 x .75"-1.5" Yellow Watchman Goby
1 x 1.25"-2.25" Male Lyretail Anthias
8 x 1.25"-2.25" Female Lyretail Anthais

I would look at putting 1 tang and 3-4 of the smaller fish in qt at a time. Also depends on your Qt regiment.

kismetsh
05/06/2013, 02:01 PM
I don't think 11 fish in a 30g QT is a good idea.

Chi Town Reefer
05/06/2013, 02:14 PM
Good think I checked first. Man, my LFS will tell people anything to get them to spend money.

ca1ore
05/06/2013, 08:23 PM
I can't comment on the clown tang or pair of hippos though.

I have a pair of 5 inch hippos in my DT and they get along just fine.

ca1ore
05/06/2013, 08:25 PM
Word of warning on lyretails. In a really big tank, too large a school of females can result in the development of a second male - which is a problem! With trial and error, I concluded that one male and 4 females was the ideal mix.

Good to see you gave up on five three-stripe damsels. I had one once ....ONCE! Mean bastards. Domino's almost as bad.

ace_92101
05/07/2013, 01:34 PM
Good think I checked first. Man, my LFS will tell people anything to get them to spend money.

It were me, I'd look for a new LFS. LFS's should be a soured of good information, even if it results in not making a sale. Having successful customers is the best business model.

TankStudy
05/07/2013, 01:48 PM
If you start with all females you need 1 female to be substantially larger, especially when you have a higher number of them, in this case 10. If the dominant fish is not completely established or totally dominant and you have a stalemate between many of the fish for dominance, from my experience, you will have multiple males. Its a pain to catch these fish in a tank cause they are like speed-demons too when this happens. Have fun!

DopeCantWin
05/07/2013, 03:20 PM
-1 on the Clown Tang. Every time I've seen them they're incredibly aggressive, including a 4" one in a 2000 gallon tank. Nobody would come over to his corner.