PDA

View Full Version : Best Overall Food for Coral (Cyclopses, Reef Roids, Coral Frenzy)?

that Fish Guy
04/29/2013, 12:41 AM
What do you guys think is the best overall food for Corals?

I was recommended the following:

Cyclopses (Frozen Food)
Coral Frenzy (Powder)
Reef Roids (Powder)

Is one of these better than the others?
If so why?

biggles
04/29/2013, 03:33 AM
Reef Roids work otherwise my corals would have starved to death. I give the tank a pinch every night.

NeilFox
04/29/2013, 03:58 AM
I use a product called ARC marine food. Made with fish, oyster, oyster eggs, spirulina, roitifer and a couple other things. It is made for shrimp hatcheries for feeding nops. It is tiny pellets but I crush them up. Works for me.

that Fish Guy
04/29/2013, 06:08 AM
Reef Roids work otherwise my corals would have starved to death. I give the tank a pinch every night.

Do you target feed or just throw it into the aquarium?

MARINECRITTERS
04/29/2013, 09:10 AM
I use Cyclopses ( powder form ) and reef frenzy, all the corals thrive from it and grow rapidly.

Sk8r
04/29/2013, 10:31 AM
LPS Euphyllia and caulestra---I got a giant box of Tetra Jumbo Freeze-dried Krill for my koi, who didn't like it. So I ground it up and fed it to my corals. After 2 years I'm about halfway through the can, and the corals grow so fast they've overrun my tank. I'm pretty happy with that, and the fish and inverts like it, too. The fact that, in a mortar and pestle, you get all sizes of particle, up to pieces, feeds everybody. If I spent 10 on that cannister, I'd be surprised.

saf1
04/29/2013, 10:38 AM
I use Coral Heaven from ipsf. Then again, I usually tend to believe "best" is subjective and what I use rarely works for others - lol.

Your mileage may vary, bla bla bla :)

rhdoug
04/29/2013, 10:55 AM
IMO, I do not believe that there IS a best overall food, but variety is the key to a healthy diet for almost any animal. Of course there are many critters that only feed on one thing, but often the prey item feeds on a varied diet. Feed as many kinds of food as you can, and do not ignore frozen fish/coral foods or seafood from the grocery store. In fact I consider the prepared powders and liquids etc. as a supplement to the "meaty" foods.

Palting
04/29/2013, 11:09 AM
I go with Randy and saf1. I do not believe there is such a thing as "best".

I started with all kinds of "coral food". Frozen stuff, bottled stuff, powdered stuff, you name it. Over 3 years, I've settled on Coral Frenzy. It's convenient, contains a wide variety of food sources, it's cheap, and it's readily available at my LFS. I target feed twice a week. Feeding tentacles come out, mouths open, and coral puff up absorbing the stuff. Even the fish try to suckle on the feeding tube LOL!! Is it the best? I have no idea, but it works for my LPS, NPS and softies, who are all growing since I started feeding them this stuff.

that Fish Guy
04/29/2013, 01:25 PM
Will any of these products work for SPS - Acropora and Montipora

Palting
04/29/2013, 01:48 PM
Acropora and Montipora in general get almost all their energy needs satisfied by photosynthesis from their zooxanthelia. There is one large reef farm in Ohio that never feeds their SPS, growing everything from good light alone. In fact, SPS do not do as well when the nutrient levels are too high in the tank. I know that my SPS require only light and good parameters to grow well, but my LPS, NPS, and softies require additional feeding. The challenge is getting a nutrient level that is good for LPS/NPS/softies, but not too high for SPS.

Another way to put it: if all you have are SPS, you probably do not need any of these products. Just have good light, good flow, and good parameters.

biggles
04/29/2013, 02:03 PM
Do you target feed or just throw it into the aquarium?

Tank is SPS dominant. I did target feed for a few weeks but i can't be bothered now so i just add a pinch to the tank and rub it between my fingers under water until it's all gone. Prior to dosing the roids i always suck up a couple of turkey basters of detritus from the sump and add that to the display - PE goes nuts when you feed SPS detritus and i see the polyps capturing crud particles and consuming them so there's something yummy in that stuff.