PDA

View Full Version : Too much current? Is this possible?

FireGuyTN
05/01/2013, 06:19 PM
I have a 150 gallon tank with LR and Coral..... Question is my LFS said to buy the HYDOR Koralia Nanos which I did (by mistake). I installed 2 of them and everything was great. Yesterday I overnighted 2 Hydor 1500 GPH circulation pumps and installed them. When I came home today 1 Green Chromis is dead and 2 others are "seeing the light". All other fish are great and parameters are outstanding. Any thoughts from fellow reefers? Why are fish dying? Help!?!?

rupatel
05/01/2013, 06:53 PM
I have an 120 with 2 mp40s and and k3. 2 nanos is not enough flow

sirreal63
05/01/2013, 06:53 PM
The flow itself did not do it, I am running 8700gph in a 40x40x17" tank my fish play in he flow, yes it is severe flow in some areas of the tank. Now it is possible that of there were some nasties in the sand that were released, it could have weakened the fish. The flow itself did not harm them.

slief
05/01/2013, 06:57 PM
I think your pumps had a chemical on them or something else contaminated the tank. That or one of the pumps is leaking a rediculous amount of electricity which I doubt. Unless there is no place for the fish to get out of the flow like rocks or something when the lights go out. That could stress them.

I have a 480 gallon display with a reeflo hammerhead returning through a pair of SeaSwirls, a reeflo dart recirculation pump, two Tunze 6205's, a Tunze 6105 and a Koralia 1400. That's upwards of 20,000 GPH of pump power and trust me, I have insane flow and water motion.

johnwick
05/01/2013, 07:14 PM
I think your pumps had a chemical on them or something else contaminated the tank. That or one of the pumps is leaking a rediculous amount of electricity which I doubt. Unless there is no place for the fish to get out of the flow like rocks or something when the lights go out. That could stress them.

I have a 480 gallon display with a reeflo hammerhead returning through a pair of SeaSwirls, a reeflo dart recirculation pump, two Tunze 6205's, a Tunze 6105 and a Koralia 1400. That's upwards of 20,000 GPH of pump power and trust me, I have insane flow and water motion.

+1 I think they are leaking something or you have a serious electrical leak.

FireGuyTN
05/01/2013, 07:29 PM
Hmm stirring the sand has crossed my mind +1 to that, and you know maybe pi**ed them off when I raised the flow and stressed them out. Electrical leak i doubt it i put my hands in there every other day and everything else in the tank is good. Hmm but thanks for the feedback guys at some point in this hobby even the experienced reefers get stumped Ive never ran into this....

slief
05/01/2013, 07:48 PM
Hmm stirring the sand has crossed my mind +1 to that, and you know maybe pi**ed them off when I raised the flow and stressed them out. Electrical leak i doubt it i put my hands in there every other day and everything else in the tank is good. Hmm but thanks for the feedback guys at some point in this hobby even the experienced reefers get stumped Ive never ran into this....

Putting your hands in the tank wont shock you unless you are grounded. Put some water on the floor and try it with bare feet and let us know if you get shocked. All it takes is an improper seal around the power cord where it goes into the motor to cause a power leak.

It's not sand in the water unless it looks like the Mojave desert in a gail force wind. Did you clean those new Koralia's properly in vinegar and rinse well in fresh water before you put the new pumps in to remove any of the chemicals used to manufacture those things? Did the temp jump up too fast as a result of the new pumps??

Coincidence maybe?

jerpa
05/01/2013, 08:15 PM
Putting your hands in the tank wont shock you unless you are grounded. Put some water on the floor and try it with bare feet and let us know if you get shocked. All it takes is an improper seal around the power cord where it goes into the motor to cause a power leak.

Please tell me this was sarcasm. That's a step by step path to a Darwin award.

I agree the flow itself isn't a problem. I'd lean more to the sandbed being disturbed than anything.

FireGuyTN
05/01/2013, 08:56 PM
Did it standing in a bucket of water guess we can rule out electrical leak. On a serious note I didnt wash the new pumps before putting them in the tank. And no temp issues Ive got a strip and digital thermometer and two aquatop 450s all reading 80. Im telling you the other fish are just surfing right along but these Chromis dont like this current. IMHO

slief
05/01/2013, 10:15 PM
Did it standing in a bucket of water guess we can rule out electrical leak. On a serious note I didnt wash the new pumps before putting them in the tank. And no temp issues Ive got a strip and digital thermometer and two aquatop 450s all reading 80. Im telling you the other fish are just surfing right along but these Chromis dont like this current. IMHO

In my experience (I've had a LOT of them over the years), Chromis are very sensitive to begin with and need to eat constantly. Most end up dead sooner rather than later no mattter how good the conditions are.

As silly and unlikely as it may sound, I'd still check for stray voltage. It's more than likely it has nothing to do with stray voltage but I can assure you that it's 10x more likely that stray voltage from a faulty pump killed your fish as opposed to too much flow.

It's easy to test if you have a volt meter.

<object width="560" height="315"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/ffDctOPRS6c?version=3&amp;hl=en_US"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/ffDctOPRS6c?version=3&amp;hl=en_US" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="560" height="315" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true"></embed></object>

My guess would be one of the following in order of likelihood.

1) Chromis died because the vast majority of them just don't do well long term and any one of the following will exacerbate.

2) Rapid change in water quality whether a fast temp change of as little as 2*, low O2, increase in waste, Drop or increase in PH etc.

3) Insufficient diet, multiple feedings daily

4) Stray voltage

5) Chemicals from pump or foreign source.

5) Lack of aeration

In summery, it's always a good idea to clean your new pumps before putting them in the tank. Also, Chromis die fast and don't stand in a bucket full of water to test your tank for stray voltage because the plastic bucket insulates you from the earth ground just like your shoes do.

wildman926
05/02/2013, 06:55 AM
^^^^^
It is important to note, that if you do this test, be sure to plug in the test meter into the large opening of the extension cord, which is your neutral.