PDA

View Full Version : Help stain on carpet from purple pvc primer

lwillis22
05/01/2013, 07:07 PM
So my son accidentally spilled a large amount of the purple pvc primer on my carpet right in front of my fish tank. I am not sure how to get it out as I was always told no fumes or anything near the aquarium. Carpet cleaner or any cleaner is going to have a strong odor. Does anyone have any ideas?

blazzing_ray
05/01/2013, 07:14 PM
i kicked over the glue now i have a big hard spot even after useing the hand thing on the carpet cleaner good luck

sanababit
05/01/2013, 07:16 PM
Its probably going to be imposible to get the stain out, best bet is to put a mat or rug on top of that stain and forget about it

Sana

Mat1018
05/01/2013, 07:33 PM
Probably never come out. I spilled some on a table and never could get it all out can still see the purple stain.

lwillis22
05/01/2013, 07:36 PM
I was afraid that was the response I was going to get. Thanks anyway guys.

blazzing_ray
05/01/2013, 07:55 PM
I did as they said nice area rug bam problem solved

Sonyardo
05/02/2013, 06:18 AM
A carpet cleaning extractor and work the spot from the outside to the inside with a mild cleaning solution. The idea is to get out any chemical residue that is left behind and lighten the stain as much as possible. Extract as much of the excess water as possible then let it air dry. I'm sure the stain will be permanent and will require a carpet plug, replacement or a cover up such as a throw rug. It will likely not be the last stain near the fish tank so keep that in mind when choosing your options ;)

Breadman03
05/02/2013, 06:33 AM
How new is the carpet? If it is relatively new, it is possible that a pro could cut out the stained portion and match a scrap piece.

Justdrew
05/02/2013, 07:36 AM
The purple primer is designed to stain. It is used so inspectors can see that a primer was used on the job.

MrClam
05/02/2013, 09:13 AM
Yea your never getting that out. Sorry

smb2415
05/02/2013, 10:11 AM
having installed carpet and construction for many years your options are limited.

If you have a spare piece of that same carpet, call a carpet installer - they will cut out the damaged area and replace with new and you shouldn't be able to tell once its done.

If you have a small piece of that carpet and it is a relatively neutral color you MAY be able to use a clothing dye like RID to dye it back close to original color. I have not tried this but i would definately try this on a scrap piece first. I also doubt you will be able to match it perfectly but possibly make it less obvious.

Cover it with an area rug, etc

call a carpet install in for ideas - maybe you could get a border installed around the tank of a different color?

Replace the carpet.

Ive yet to find a chemical that will remove the primer once dry. Its hard enough to dilute it out when its wet.

RabbitKC99
05/02/2013, 07:58 PM
Sounds like a good reason to upgrade to a huge tank that would cover the stain completely... :)

Breadman03
05/02/2013, 08:04 PM
Sounds like a good reason to upgrade to a huge tank that would cover the stain completely... :)

OP, this is the best answer.

smb2415
05/02/2013, 08:14 PM
Since you can't do any harm try SOAKing the area with a product called Spot Shot. I believe Home Depot now carries it. It is was the best stain remover I ever used. Soak it, let it sit, soak it again, scrub it, repeat.... You'll know if its doing anytihng if therag you use to scrub it with get a purple tint to it (the color of the pvc primer).

Good Luck.