PDA

View Full Version : Please help with par and corals

pjb9166
05/02/2013, 08:25 PM
Hi Everyone.

Is there a rule of thumb on how much PAR is needed for a given species of coral.
It would make purchasing corals for a tank much easier. I hope I'm not the only nube that is overwhelmed with this. Going to the show in Warwick RI this weekend and would love to know what I can purchase or not.

Thank You
Paul

Reefmedic79
05/02/2013, 09:14 PM
It's hard to say overall as PAR quickly decreases as it penetrates water and it is extremely variable in the tank depended on specific spots in relation to the location of light source themselves. Also, any amount of PAR reaching the corals would be beneficial

What sized tank (dimensions)and what type of lighting do you currently have?

hollister
05/02/2013, 09:21 PM
Some corals need more then other. Hammerheads can extend 4 to 6 inches easy , but usually gows with the flow. Ive have red and green shrooms that made reddish green shrooms.
Some grow slow while others spread fast. You will need to controll the population by removing some growth whene needed. But the removed stock great for trading or discounts.

pjb9166
05/02/2013, 09:22 PM
It's hard to say overall as PAR quickly decreases as it penetrates water and it is extremely variable in the tank depended on specific spots in relation to the location of light source themselves. Also, any amount of PAR reaching the corals would be beneficial

What sized tank (dimensions)and what type of lighting do you currently have?

I have a 30 gal hex 18 inches across and 24 inches deep. Lighting is 120w dimmable Taotronics.

Reefmedic79
05/02/2013, 09:37 PM
IMO&E, I'd say you can pretty much house any coral you want, in relation to the lighting requirements at least.

The corals will also have some flow requirements which could be an issue with having a Hex tank.

pjb9166
05/02/2013, 09:48 PM
IMO&E, I'd say you can pretty much house any coral you want, in relation to the lighting requirements at least.

The corals will also have some flow requirements which could be an issue with having a Hex tank.

I have current coming from back and the two back sides. So good flow from all directions