PDA

View Full Version : salinity and water volume

Zante
05/04/2013, 02:17 AM
Ok, this question may be silly, and the answer obvious, but i need to ask anyway:

I have a 20 litre bucket and I need to make 40 litres of salt water with a gravity of 1.025.

I have 40 litres worth of containers, but only the 20 litre bucket is any good for mixing.

can I mix 20 litres of 1.050 gravity water and once it is nicely mixed and heated dilute it in the other container?
The answer should be obvious, but you never know...

Ron Reefman
05/04/2013, 05:04 AM
I think you math is OK... I think. But I also think you'll have a very hard time getting that much salt to dissolve in a 20 liter bucket at room temperatures. I find that even getting near 1.025 and getting the salt to dissolve requires a good pump to stir it up.

tmz
05/04/2013, 08:48 AM
I think dissolving it at 1.050 will be difficult and may result in a loss of some calcium and carbonate via precipitation.

disc1
05/04/2013, 08:57 AM
I think dissolving it at 1.050 will be difficult and may result in a loss of some calcium and carbonate via precipitation.

^^^This. You might get it to dissolve to that level, but you're probably going to lose a lot of calcium and alkalinity in the process. Seawater is already supersaturated with calcium and carbonate at normal levels. Taking it higher is a tough thing to do.

In reality, if it were easy to take the salinity any higher, then the ocean would have a higher salinity.