PDA

View Full Version : Sump Through Wall

chiefifd
05/04/2013, 05:36 PM
I'm hoping to set up my first Saltwater aquarium after years of freshwater aquariums. I'd like to make the maintenance as easy a possible, so I'm thinking about putting the sump behind the wall where the display aquarium will be. I'd have full access to the sump for easy cleaning. I'm sure many people have done this before so I'd love to hear how you did it. Was the sump raised off the floor slightly below the display tank height? And how you made your port hole/holes in the wall. Any information would be appreciated.
Thanks
Ed....

chiefifd
05/04/2013, 06:23 PM
Has anyone placed their sump behind the main display tank for easier maintenance? Positive move or...not.
Thanks
Ed.....

Adamw327
05/04/2013, 09:26 PM
I don't see why not, i have seen many set-ups with tanks plumbed into other rooms for sumps, refuges, DSBs, and all three.

I live in an apartment so i do not have any experience with drilling holes in walls

chiefifd
05/04/2013, 09:31 PM
Do you have any photos or other information on through the wall sump?

tommyhrs
05/04/2013, 09:44 PM
Search the DIY section for sumps. There are a lot of build ideas there. You should be able to find something that you like.

Dozer1one
05/05/2013, 10:28 AM
I have my display tank in the living room and the sump,refuge,quarintine tank piped through the wall into my garage where I built a giant cabinet for it, plenty of room for future expansions and its closer to the deep sink so easier water changes

chiefifd
05/05/2013, 01:14 PM
Did you make one larger port opening in the wall or one inch, two inch individual holes for the return and drain pipes? What is the level of your sump in comparison to your display tank? If you have the room in an adjoining room it sure seems to simplify maintenance, not having to reach and bend as much seems like a big plus.
Thanks
Ed....

someotherguy
05/05/2013, 06:17 PM
I have my sump and all other extraneous equipment behind a wall. I just cut a hole big enough to fit all the piping through (drain, return). The sump is on the floor as it would be below the tank. The sump is in a small utility room underneath some stairs.
This arrangement gives me a mini "fish room" which makes maintenance much easier and makes the tank quieter.

chiefifd
05/05/2013, 06:57 PM
Thanks for your help, I'd like to do a similar thing. All or most of my maintenance will be done out in the open, not hunched over under my display tank. I'd like to think this approach will allow me to keep my scheduled maintenance up to date and not skip it.
Thanks
Ed...