PDA

View Full Version : Rio v.s. Eheim submersible pumps

3rdimension
05/04/2013, 08:01 PM
Rio brand used to be #1 choice for a while when I first started the hobby about 10 years ago and is still a fairly popular choice for various reasons, but in the past decade I'm noticing more people leaning toward Eheim for it's extra quite performance and solid flow output compared to other brands.

However Eheim pumps cost 3-4 times as much as Rio in comparison when it comes to the flow charts for each.

How much more quite is an Eheim pump than a Rio pump?

I've used rio pumps for a long time without any problems. They also tend to give out fairly accurate flow rates at low wattage, I think?

I've never owned an Eheim due to how expensive they are, their higher wattage output and the overall dimensions is what turned me off to them.

Anyone else have the chance to compare the difference in flow rate v.s. quietness with these two brands? Particularly these two models?

I was comparing the Rio plus 1700 to the Eheim 1260 and here's the comparison chart, Price, Flow rate, Watt usage etc.

Taam Rio+ 1700 Powerhead UL Information
Current sale price at marine depot $43.99
Flowrate of 642 GPH

Watts 23

Gal/Hour @ 115V. 60Hz
0` 1` 2` 3` 4` 6` 8` 10`
642 620 486 418 352 180 - -

Max Lift in Ft. 7.5`

Dimensions: 5.1" x 2.75" x 3.75"

Hose connection 3/4" I.D. Hose

Eheim 1260 Universal Pump:
current price at marine depot $189.99
Pump Output: 635 gph

Delivery Head: 12`1"

Power Consumption: 65 W (120V/60Hz)

Hose Connection (Suction Side): 1"

Hose Connection (Pressure Side): 5/8"

Dimensions: 8.6" x 4.6" x 6.3"

Weight: 6.0 lbs

j tavares
05/04/2013, 08:34 PM
Eheim is WAY MORE RELIABLE and QUIET than RIO and I have six eheim 2217 on tanks and three 1260 pumps running my fish roomfor 20 yrs w/o one breakdown or problem

Ruu
05/04/2013, 08:43 PM
Eheim is WAY MORE RELIABLE and QUIET than RIO and I have six eheim 2217 on tanks and three 1260 pumps running my fish roomfor 20 yrs w/o one breakdown or problem

What he said. I've had half a dozen eheim pumps, some running for 10 years now. If it matters that it is running, it will be running an Eheim on my system.

Dave

3rdimension
05/04/2013, 09:16 PM
thanks. I may consider testing one out, even if it is way more expensive, consumes double the power, thus giving off twice as much heat for the same amount of flow and the dimensions and weight are twice as much. If I would compare submersible pumps to vehicles. I would say Eheim brand are like the gas guzzling expensive SUV's and Rio's are more like the light weight, more gas milage efficient Saturn vehicles. I guess it all depends on how big your tank is and what you're trying to achieve and how long you plan on staying in the hobby.

outssider
05/05/2013, 06:00 PM
my rio 1700 is using 42 watts right now

ssscuz
05/05/2013, 08:25 PM
I don't know about rios but I just changed from a cheap 4000lph to an eheim compact 5000. The eheim would have 2-3 times and easily half as quiet as the old one.
I will never go back to cheap pumps again.

Kattes
05/06/2013, 05:24 AM
My oldest eheim was bought around 22 years ago. Still kicking and silent.

For some reason though, my experiences with the more affordable and more energy efficient compact series hasn't been as good. None of them have died, but they do seem to develop a bit of noise after a year or so if they have to push a lot of pressure.

billdogg
05/06/2013, 05:40 AM
I have a 1262 that I got used from the LFS I worked at. It had been used as an external pump for their feeder goldfish tank for an unknown number of years when I acquired it. I took it home, cleaned it, and put it to use. I have changed the impeller maybe once. I clean it about once a year. And I got it about 1988 or so. I just got another for my upgrade (sumpless 60 to 120 w/sump). It will be the return pump for that system. I expect that it will last as long as the tank.

I've had a couple rios over the years as well. None has lasted longer than 2 or 3 years.

3rdimension
05/06/2013, 01:21 PM
I appreciate everyones feedback with their personal experiences. I'm thinking of looking into one of the compact series. First I need to find and purchase a wider sump or just build one myself so that i have more room to place wider pumps in.

Reeferz412
05/06/2013, 01:44 PM
I had a rio600 that was 8+ years but it slowly started to die. I have also had rios for a few months and they died. The bigger model the rio is, the worse it is. I have had an eheim pump which was used as a fountain pump since 1998. It has moved to another fountain and state and undergoes all sorts of torture and keeps truckin along. Those pumps are built to last.

telijah
05/06/2013, 02:00 PM
It should be no shocker that the pumps costing 3-4 times as much last longer and should be more reliable, and only one or two posted personal experiences with Rios. Now, I am no fan boy or anything, but I have had my little Rio for close to a year, and it is very quiet and runs like a champ, and it was bought used! Forgot which one I have, but I think it was max rated at like 600gph. Just wanted to give more input from the cheaper side of the line :) Yes, you might get what you paid for, but hopefully not all the time.

Armand9601
06/15/2013, 05:37 PM
thanks. I may consider testing one out, even if it is way more expensive, consumes double the power, thus giving off twice as much heat for the same amount of flow and the dimensions and weight are twice as much. If I would compare submersible pumps to vehicles. I would say Eheim brand are like the gas guzzling expensive SUV's and Rio's are more like the light weight, more gas milage efficient Saturn vehicles. I guess it all depends on how big your tank is and what you're trying to achieve and how long you plan on staying in the hobby.

Isn't Saturn out of business?

rachenbrazil
06/15/2013, 06:40 PM
If don't need high pressure or higher height output, rio may seem reasonable but if your are running skimmer or as return pump... Eheim is the solidaria choice. Rio 1700 and eheim 1260 are very different that's why price and consume are so different i had 2 running for almost 20 years without any problem. Rio are ok but need to schedule change in 5 - 6 years that usually is a short time in my case...

Mudbeaver
06/15/2013, 06:49 PM
Wow great thread i was in the market for a new sub pump i came to the right place Eheim it is then thanks lol. Search over. Any paricular models that outstanding. 1" outlet.

bangbangkhan
06/15/2013, 07:22 PM
Wow great thread i was in the market for a new sub pump i came to the right place Eheim it is then thanks lol. Search over. Any paricular models that outstanding. 1" outlet.

you won't be disappointed with the eheim!

oquockyo
06/15/2013, 09:45 PM
Only Eheim here . Never failed me yet.

mkj
06/16/2013, 01:38 AM
they both suck, get a DC pump, then I can welcome you to the modern aquarium hobby:love1:

Armand9601
06/16/2013, 06:09 AM
they both suck, get a DC pump, then I can welcome you to the modern aquarium hobby:love1:

Which model would you recommend for a 60 gal cube with a Eshopps RS-75 refugium?

I don't mind investing now & not having to worry about replacing in a couple of years.

Mudbeaver
06/16/2013, 07:07 AM
Which model would you recommend for a 60 gal cube with a Eshopps RS-75 refugium?

I don't mind investing now & not having to worry about replacing in a couple of years.

Then go for Eheim then. i just spent 2hours on other sites and its all i read Eheim, never mind DC no site seem to talk about them anyway.

SaltwaterSensei
06/16/2013, 07:46 AM
eheim are time tested and proven workhourses. DC is great but if you want to be absolutly certain about your a pumps reliability then its going to be an eheim. I have a eheim that I got in the mid 90s and I plan on still using it when my new tank gets here. I've almost developed a sentmental attachment to eheim pumps because out of all the equipment woes I've had over the years non of them were eheim related.

williewilliams
06/16/2013, 07:54 AM
I love my rio 1100 for pumping water when doing water changes from my mixing buckets, but I wouldn't trust the $22.00 pump to be reliable enough to run my system. Inexpensive pumps have there place, not sure if its place is as my return pump though. I'll use my iwaki for that.

Mudbeaver
06/16/2013, 07:57 AM
eheim are time tested and proven workhourses. DC is great but if you want to be absolutly certain about your a pumps reliability then its going to be an eheim. I have a eheim that I got in the mid 90s and I plan on still using it when my new tank gets here. I've almost developed a sentmental attachment to eheim pumps because out of all the equipment woes I've had over the years non of them were eheim related.

Are they silent though, its my concern in the operating sense, we have skimmers, and others stuff, just saw a few horrible vid just now, i just wrote Eheim about it asking if they where going to back me up if their product was going to be noisy. Hoping for a good responce i've given them the YouTube vid refference in example.... I imagine if some kept their's for 20 years it must be silent too lol.:beer: