PDA

View Full Version : Aiptasia

Shumdog71
05/05/2013, 01:13 PM
Getting ready to declare war on seven medium size aiptasia in an 85 gallon tank. I have a recipe using Mrs wages pickling lime same properties as kalkwasser, just much cheaper. My question is how many aiptasia should I exterminate at one time? Also read about making a paste out of sea salt and removing the LR and applying to aiptasia

twf0369
05/05/2013, 07:10 PM
Have you looked into peppermint shrimp? 4 of them worked wonders in my 180. Good luck either way you go.

bnumair
05/05/2013, 08:53 PM
i always advice to take the rock out to treat. and i always used a lighter to burn the infected area. they never come back. if u try to eliminate them inside the tank chances are they can spawn and u might kill the one but there will be many more later.
so if u can take the rock out burn with lighter and rinse in saltwater then return it back.

Shumdog71
05/05/2013, 09:00 PM
Gonna order some peppermint shrimp next week. But I know have eight, so they are multiplying fast and I would like to get rid of them ASAP . I hit three of them this evening with the pickling lime. I read about burning them but my wife thought I was nuts, may try it in the MORNIN . Thanks for posting!!!!!

hogfanreefer
05/05/2013, 09:09 PM
i always advice to take the rock out to treat. and i always used a lighter to burn the infected area. they never come back. if u try to eliminate them inside the tank chances are they can spawn and u might kill the one but there will be many more later.
so if u can take the rock out burn with lighter and rinse in saltwater then return it back.

I've got one that is pretty far down a hole in the rock. I took the rock out with the intention of scraping him off and burning the remnant but he retracted way up in the hole. I stuck the lighter up in the hole and burned as long as I could. Everything looked good till today....he popped back out of the hole! Will try again tomorrow just in case I burned in the wrong hole.

bnumair
05/05/2013, 09:15 PM
lol if u can get a torch style lighter it will work well. but if not then turn the rock with the hole its in facing down and hold the lighter under it so heat and flame rise up into the rock/hole and burn it well. i have never had one come back after burning it. other remedies are all hit and miss specially peppermint shrimp.

Shumdog71
05/05/2013, 09:27 PM
Hmmmmm, dually noted!!!! I've been researching all day and remedies to seem to be hit or miss

Shumdog71
05/05/2013, 09:32 PM
Peppermint shrimp, kalkwasser , lemon juice, vinegar, vodka, peroxide , aip x, joes juice, seems like fire is a no brainer !!!!

KirbyBTF
11/18/2013, 03:52 AM
Qqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqq1qq1qqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqq1qqqqqq1qqqqqqqqqqqqq1qqqa1qqq1qqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqq qqqqq1qqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqwqwqqqqqqqqqqqwqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqq1qqaqq1qq

madweazl
11/18/2013, 04:24 AM
Aiptasi X never did anything for me except for knock them down for about a week. One of the new pieces of rock I bought this weekend has about 5 on it, I'm tempted to drop a copperband in there since I'm not feeding the tank yet. Maybe it'll get hungry enough to take care of them for me! I dont want to remove the rock but dont want to start off with day 1.

Mark9
11/18/2013, 06:24 AM
I had some, bought a peppermint shrimp, he cleaned them out in 2 days.
He's kind of annoying now, as he walks all over the corals, causing them to close up.

KirbyBTF
11/18/2013, 07:08 AM
Please ignore my previous post, my pocket wanted to chime in I guess.

Salty Dog24
11/18/2013, 08:14 AM
I've tried burning before, using a long flame lighter, turning the rock in many different angles, to allow the flame to creep through the crevices. Didn't work, dang things reappeared in a weeks time. Lemon Juice and a syringe has worked 60% of the time, peppermint shrimp, never touched them as far as i can tell. The P. Shrimp only comes out after lights out, so i barely every see him. I want to buy a laser and zap them that way, seen many vids on Youtube of guys doing it. Looks Like Fun too, I just don't know where to buy that type of laser, Anyone Know?

jberthon
11/18/2013, 09:29 AM
I've had great luck with vinegar & a syringe with the very thin needles that they use on infants. The needle is so narrow that it can get inside any hole that they retreat into.