PDA

View Full Version : Dosing Pump vs. Calcium Reactor

BrooksReef
05/05/2013, 02:12 PM
The question lyes in the title! I am so torn with which one I should use and incorporate into my reef. The Calcium Reactor is actually a piece I already possess. I just don't have the regulator, or CO2 tank. The downside with that is there isn't that much room in my tank, and I know these silly things can be very tricky to set up. BUT, everyone tells me a reactor is the way to go, and looking at everyone's amazing tanks on here, most seem to be using a reactor as well!

Any opinions are VERY much appreciated! :)

Brooks

BrooksReef
05/05/2013, 06:53 PM
Anyone o.O?

James77
05/05/2013, 06:57 PM
Either one will work. I can say that what makes a calcium reactor easy to dial in is a quality regulator and consistent flow. An AquariumPLants carbon doser regulator is reasonable enough and rock sold. I also use a continuous duty peristaltic pump to control the effluent, and my reactor has been rock solid. That said, I also miss the 2 part dosing for its precision and less bulky equipment, electric use and maintenance.

You can have successful tanks of any level with either one.

BrooksReef
05/06/2013, 06:51 AM
Either one will work. I can say that what makes a calcium reactor easy to dial in is a quality regulator and consistent flow. An AquariumPLants carbon doser regulator is reasonable enough and rock sold. I also use a continuous duty peristaltic pump to control the effluent, and my reactor has been rock solid. That said, I also miss the 2 part dosing for its precision and less bulky equipment, electric use and maintenance.

You can have successful tanks of any level with either one.

Thank you for the reply! I am leaning more towards dosing pumps, at the moment. I am wondering, however, how to mix a solution to dose accurately?

SGT_York
05/06/2013, 08:49 AM
mixing??? no mixing involved please clarify?

Any thoughts on kalk? Much easier than both other options, with limitations.

shifty51008
05/06/2013, 09:04 AM
http://reefkeeping.com/issues/2006-02/rhf/index.php

there is a good read on how to make your own, you can also buy the stuff from bulkreefsupply

BrooksReef
05/06/2013, 11:24 AM
mixing??? no mixing involved please clarify?

Any thoughts on kalk? Much easier than both other options, with limitations.

I meant like, mixing a calcium solution. Like, adding water to calcium to dilute it, so you can add calcium that isn't concentrated. Does that make sense?