PDA

View Full Version : GFI question

OregonReefer2
05/06/2013, 12:25 AM
I'm having trouble in my garage with an entire power loop.

I think I've tracked it down to the GFI but I'm not sure of one thing.

This GFI will not reset. However, it does have power. I was under the impression if a GFi has tripped it shouldn't have power.

Nothing after it in the loop has power though. If I press the reset button with a light plugged into one of the sockets on the loop it blinks on (this light works fine anywhere else in the house so it's not causing the fault)

Is this a faulty GFI?

Metal Man 1221
05/06/2013, 01:12 AM
I would replace it.

fishgate
05/06/2013, 07:32 AM
They do not last forever, replace it.

uncleof6
05/07/2013, 03:30 AM
What caused the GFCI to trip? It is possible the condition that caused it to trip, still exists. Sometimes, you can fight a GFCI reset problem all day, then someone comes along, pushes the button, and it resets--same thing happens with breakers. Probably simplest is to just replace it, if it still trips, then you need to get more involved with it. Make sure when you replace it, that it is wired correctly.

I traced a problem GFCI to an appliance in another room. There are bizarre things that can go on with GFCIs.

tufkab
05/07/2013, 11:08 AM
I'm having trouble in my garage with an entire power loop.

I think I've tracked it down to the GFI but I'm not sure of one thing.

This GFI will not reset. However, it does have power. I was under the impression if a GFi has tripped it shouldn't have power.

Nothing after it in the loop has power though. If I press the reset button with a light plugged into one of the sockets on the loop it blinks on (this light works fine anywhere else in the house so it's not causing the fault)

Is this a faulty GFI?

Are you SURE that it's wired correctly ? Line into Line and Load into Load ?

sleepydoc
05/08/2013, 02:01 PM
+1 to all if the comments here. If it's working and wired correctly, the power should be off when it's tripped.

If it was wired incorrectly, you should still be able to reset it. Can't say for sure what would happen if it were wired incorrectly AND there was a ground fault. Probably wouldn't shut off, but I don't know if it would trip or not.