PDA

View Full Version : Any advantages to different MH bulb types?

williewilliams
05/06/2013, 08:07 PM
Currently I'm running single ended MH bulb in a retro fitted parking lot light. It has worked great for a couple of years. I did change out the ballast to a galaxy e ballast. My life situation is changing and I feel that it is time to buy a real fixture. I'm looking at a few of the giesemann fixtures. the spectra is mogul, and the infiniti is double ended. IMO, the infiniti looks sleeker. The question is, Is there any advantages to either of the style MH bulbs over the other? I use Radium bulbs and they are only in mogul, but with all the T5's I may not need the radium for color. Please help, I keep running this over and over in my head. Here is a pic of my current light, I have two set up like this.

bigreefnutt
05/06/2013, 11:34 PM
I used to run radium my self and now I am running 15k with t5s and I like it alot. Its all on personal preferance. You need to look at what do you want out of your setup.

williewilliams
05/07/2013, 05:01 AM
thanks for the reply, but I know I can achieve the color I want multiple ways. My real question is not a spectrum question, but really as simple as is there any advantage or disadvantage to switching to a double ended fixture as opposed to a mogul type. There are tons of double ended options as far as fixtures, but just a few when it comes to mogul.

ganjero
05/07/2013, 06:36 AM
Mogul has a bigger variety of bulbs. It has what many consider the best MH bulb in the hobby (Radium). It doesn't need a UV shield on the fixture which in many cases allows for higher par compared to the DE version of the same bulb when using the same ballast.
I always chose SE over DE if using 250w or 400w, with 150w I had no choice. The only thing one might argue is the smaller size of the DE and its shape allows for a more even coverage but I don't think the difference is noticeable.

bottled-ocean
05/07/2013, 09:02 PM
I have a 4 t5s and I mogul 14k now on my tank and like the way it looks plus I think the light looks nicer in the tank.

williewilliams
05/08/2013, 08:17 AM
Thanks ganjero, That is the closest thing I have gotten to a real answer in regards to this question. I do know what I want out of a fixture and know what I want to grow. My tank is already stocked. There just seems to be a ton of double ended fixtures on the market and just a few mogul fixtures. I'm super happy with my mogul fixtures and the growth, but going double ended opens up a lot more options. I just I will just stick with the mogul type fixtures since that is what I am currently happy with.

ganjero
05/08/2013, 09:17 AM
Thanks ganjero, That is the closest thing I have gotten to a real answer in regards to this question. I do know what I want out of a fixture and know what I want to grow. My tank is already stocked. There just seems to be a ton of double ended fixtures on the market and just a few mogul fixtures. I'm super happy with my mogul fixtures and the growth, but going double ended opens up a lot more options. I just I will just stick with the mogul type fixtures since that is what I am currently happy with.

It is easier to accommodate DE bulbs in pre-fabricated fixtures because of their small footprint, that's why you see lots of them. SE bulbs are usually used with retrofit reflectors or pendants, however there are fixtures out there using SE bulbs. I would say my favorite is the Sfiligoi, pricey but sleek and excellent performance.

williewilliams
05/08/2013, 09:37 AM
That is one of the fixtures that is at the top of my list, sfiligoi. the other is the geisemann fixture, I forget the model. Both are 48 in with 4 t-5s and two 250w mogul MHs. Unfortunately both fixtures are pretty expensive, but I think I can swing it finally.