PDA

View Full Version : led higher than 120w?

phillipFL
05/07/2013, 04:53 PM
i saw at one point an led setup that was i think 190w, but now cant find them, anyone have any knowledge to anything stronger than 120 setups? ive got a 6ft tank, but 2^ inches deep and between the braces are 21 inches, so looking for somthing to give a little more punch at the bottom of the tank. thinking mostly a zoa/shroom/chalice tank

slief
05/07/2013, 07:39 PM
i saw at one point an led setup that was i think 190w, but now cant find them, anyone have any knowledge to anything stronger than 120 setups? ive got a 6ft tank, but 2^ inches deep and between the braces are 21 inches, so looking for somthing to give a little more punch at the bottom of the tank. thinking mostly a zoa/shroom/chalice tank

The Reeftechs were 190 watts but they didn't use optics. Sadly Reeftech is no more. I have 4 of their lights on my tank which is 24" deep.

That said, for a deep tank, optics can be just as, if not more important than wattage alone when it comes to Par down low. If I were you, I could be more concerned about getting a pair of good fixtures with the correct optics as opposed to the fixture with the most wattage.

phillipFL
05/07/2013, 08:07 PM
well, my problem is i need 3 fixtures since i have 2 braces, they are 3 inches wide. so just trying to determine my best choice on somthing that will give me good equal lighting, without buying something that will be overlapping the braces. everything seems to be 18, 24 and up, so i assume i need 18's that i can raise slightly to spread the light a little. thats where i was thinking a stronger 18 may be a better choice.

michaellee64
05/07/2013, 09:35 PM

Chalices are an LPS, and require moderate lighting. Mushrooms will shrivel up to almost nothing under intense LED lights. I have lost 2 large colonys of Ricordea's due my led's being to intense for them. As for Zoanthid's.... well they can take just about any light that you want to give them. I am running DIY fixtures that are modeled after the radions that are 102 watts with 60 degree optics, and I am keeping clams on sand bed 36" from the bottom of my fixtures. I just recently fried a Cynarina (meat coral) that I've had for years due to increasing my lighting to almost 100%! I increased my intensity over the course of several months... but it was to much light for the cynarina. I guess what I'm trying to say is to be very careful just how much wattage you're trying to put on your corals. The best way to do it is by researching exactly what the lighting requirements are for each particular coral and using a PAR meter to verify exactly how much lighting you have where they are placed. LED's are very deceiving on just how much PAR you're putting out.

phillipFL
05/08/2013, 09:31 AM
Guess ill just try 3 ebay fixtures and hope for the best then

that Fish Guy
05/08/2013, 12:58 PM

I can only think of 3 off the top of my head:

Coralife is over 200
Vertex Illumina has fixtures over 200
The Ariel was just announced and it is 900 Watts (Total Watts with the T5 Bulbs is 1,200) - This will be the most powerful fixture made so far.