PDA

View Full Version : Adding Kalk to top-off

ResponsiCulture
05/07/2013, 05:34 PM
O.K. so as of now i have been using SeaChem's 2-part system for alkalinity and calcium control...I have also been adding RO/DI water myself for top off. My tank is a 40 gallon mixed reef (SPS dominant). SeaChem's 2-part has been working well, but i want to find a good way to buffer my top off water to help minimize fluctuations. I have had slow SPS growth and i feel the fluctuations are the resons because all other negative factors are non-existent or minimal. Ideas? Feed-backs? Thanks

dublo8
05/07/2013, 10:15 PM
Read the stickies and use the search function. There are many, many, many threads on adding Kalk to your top off water.

bertoni
05/08/2013, 12:09 AM
Kalk might help. You could use dosing pumps to add the 2-part throughout the day in smaller doses, too. To dose Kalkwasser, I'd suggest getting a peristaltic pump or something that produces a series of drops. Kalkwasser can spike the pH of a system if it's dosed rapidly. I might try automating the 2-part first, but it's hard to predict what would help more. The stony corals might be having some other issue, as well.

disc1
05/08/2013, 09:22 AM
What fluctuations do you think buffering your top off water will help? If the top-off water is pure, then it shouldn't cause any fluctuation to any parameter. If you are thinking of the pH of the top-off water then relax, it has absolutely zero effect on the pH in the tank.

klwheat
05/08/2013, 09:40 AM
as above...make sure you put your topoff on an ATO pump that will periodically add SMALL amounts. Large additions of kalk water can trash a tank :(

ResponsiCulture
05/09/2013, 12:02 AM
Thanks for the feedback! I think im going to try automating the two part system first, ill give it a week or two with that and see if that stabilizes things.