PDA

View Full Version : Black Ich?

li_newb
05/09/2013, 09:28 AM
Hey all, I picked up two fish last week, since im new to all this I guess it wasn't the smartest. My tanks were newly cycled and the LFS was having a sale. So I have a small ~2in. coral beauty in my 10 gallon QT still very shy but eating. in my 46 Bowfront DT I put my ~2in Niger trigger since I thought it would be less prone to disease.

I haven't been treating for anything just keeping an eye out. The trigger has been eating anything and have him eating PE mysis and NLS pellets the angel prefers mysis. I have salinity in both tanks around 1.022 and have hermits, snails and a crab in my DT which they were there before my fish and he hasnt eaten any of them. So my question is I found a raised dot with a black head on the left side of my trigger right behind its fin. Is it something to worry about?

It hasnt moved around and there is only one. I think one of the pics looks like there is another dot further back but is only from the picture and I cant see it on him

roenicknewf
05/09/2013, 09:36 AM
Can't really see anything from the pics ,but prazipro will kill black ich ..Its actually a worm

li_newb
05/09/2013, 09:50 AM
I was thinking that but would i use it as a dip or try and transfer the two fish from tanks. but then isnt the DT now infected with the worms?

and i highlighted where it is.

Deinonych
05/09/2013, 09:33 PM
You can use Prazipro in the DT; it's one of the few "reef safe" treatments. Also, a 46 gal bowfront is WAY too small for a Niger Triggerfish (let alone any trigger). Most triggers need 180 gal minimum.

You should QT all new fish.

MrTuskfish
05/10/2013, 08:24 AM
I can't tell anything from the pic; but , yes, the DT is infected with anything the Niger brought along. BTW, Nigers are very fast growers and this one will outgrow your tank in a just a few months.

li_newb
05/10/2013, 08:58 PM
no worries. my friend who has a 150 offered to take him when he gets too big. im just not so sure what it is. its hard to get better pics. it looks like a blackhead basically. raised slightly and a black spec in the middle.

ive read that black ich moves but this has stayed in the same spot and there are not multiple specs just one. would anything else cause this?

triggreef
05/10/2013, 09:10 PM
looks like maybe just an abrasion to me. Hard to tell from the pics.

MrTuskfish
05/11/2013, 09:47 AM
If vthis fish hasen't eaten yet and is going downhill, velvet is a possibility. It often appears in patches like this. Velvet will have a sheen (often yellow or golden and/or or velvet-like. It easiest to see when looking at the fish from the front or rear.

li_newb
05/11/2013, 07:44 PM
Not to be a jerk but idk why no one ever reads the OP.

He eats like a champ and is doing fine, so im not going to worry unless its gets worse. I did a FW dip the other day just in case.

it might be an abrasion because he wedges himself between two rocks to sleep but idk why it would be black but anyway. thanks for the advice and ile keep an eye on it