PDA

View Full Version : New 120 tank

rockyreefer1
05/09/2013, 07:18 PM
Hey all, I'm Eric... just wanted to introduce myself to the forum and say hello. I'm new to the hobby and set up my 120 tank about three months ago. I have about 100 lbs of live rock 60lbs of aragonite sand, below tank (29 gal) fuge/sump and lighting consists of 2 150w MH and 4 54w T5's. Everything is going well. I have 2 clusters of GSP that came with the live rock (directly from another reef tank that I trust). I have a lawnmower blenny and two tomato clowns that are absolutely pigs. Also tons of pods, about 5 blue leg and a handful of snails. Also tons of hitchiker snails of some sort (that I did find out were fine for the tank). I have another post on another thread about alkalinity... as it's the only param that's bugging me. It likes to hover around 8 and I would like it a little higher. I do have a boatload of corlline that is taking over my tank...This site is great. Below are some horrible pictures that I took with only my T5's running on my phone camera. Do you think this much coralline algae could drop my alk by 2dkh a day? It is covering the tank sides and back and is on all of the rock as well. Hope this shows it. You all rock and have given me so much wonderful information. I'm completely addicted. I know the alk issue might be contributed to Mg... which I will test as soon as my kit comes in from BRS. I also drip kalk and dose two part as needed on a peristaltic pump.

E230893

Boomer71
05/09/2013, 07:21 PM
Looks like you're off to a good start! Looks great!

rockyreefer1
05/09/2013, 07:45 PM
Thanks much for the compliment.

Would any of you reef guru's think my coralline algae could use up 2dkh a day in my tank? (refer to picture, there's quite a bit already) I feel like I'm dosing the heck out of it and it stays right at 7.5 or 8. According to the reef calculator i'm dosing a little under the amount for 2dkh drop, but... all I have is coralline and 2 patches of GSP.

bnumair
05/09/2013, 09:16 PM
looking good. and yes tanks with corals and coralline algae can consume upto 3dkh per day.
good luck and safe reefing.

Showdizzle
05/09/2013, 10:35 PM
wow, i really hope my start up could replicate this. looks great