PDA

View Full Version : programming dosing pump

blackthunda77
05/10/2013, 05:55 PM
I got a BRS doser and just want to make sure i have the code correct. I want it to dose my ALK at 1:00am-1:40am @1.1 ml per minute i should get 44ml of solution. I want this to happen again at 9:00am-9:40am. for another 44ml for a total of around 88 ml a day. I have it set to off and fallback to off as well as turning it off if the PH is above 8.45

Fallback OFF
Set OFF
If Time 01:00 to 01:40 Then ON
If Time 09:00 to 09:40 Then ON
If pH > 8.45 Then OFF

Should i make it come on for 3 or 4 times during the night with shorter ON times? Is that better for the pumps?

blackthunda77
05/13/2013, 09:32 AM
bueller? bueller? anyone? anyone?

kurt_n
05/13/2013, 10:13 AM
What you have will do what you want.

Most people dose alk periodically through the night so that they don't get a big spike in their pH. That's the beauty of a dosing pump... you can trickle in a little bit every hour at night. Check out the OSC command in the user's manual - that's how you want to do it if you end up dosing multiple times at standard intervals.

And yes... if you plan on running that dosing pump for 40 minutes straight, you might want to check with BRS. I know most of these hobby-grade peristaltic pumps are not rated for "continuous" duty. And I think different manufacturer's have different definitions of what exactly "continuous" is. Not sure about the BRS ones.

barry_keith
05/13/2013, 10:26 AM
I run mine every 2 hours for 2 minutes, off set thirty minutes from my calcium dosing pump. The OSC command is the way to go.

E Rosewater
05/13/2013, 08:42 PM
Sorry to hijack, but I will be setting up a neptune dosing with BRS pumps, are you getting reliable on/off with the solid states or do you have them plugged in through the Relay plugs

RussM
05/13/2013, 10:48 PM
Sorry to hijack, but I will be setting up a neptune dosing with BRS pumps, are you getting reliable on/off with the solid states or do you have them plugged in through the Relay plugs

BRS dosing pumps most definitely must be used in outlets 4 or 8 of an EB8.

blackthunda77
05/14/2013, 09:58 AM
BRS dosing pumps most definitely must be used in outlets 4 or 8 of an EB8.

So when looking at the EB8 i should have them plugged into the 2 far right outlets?

blackthunda77
05/14/2013, 10:02 AM
Also i spoke to BS and they said the pumps are not hobby grade but and industrial grade pump that specializes in dosing pumps grade so 40 mins dosing is not an issue. They are just not recommended to be used hours at a time.

Im not really understanding the OSC commands. I understand that the end result is to have the pump on for the same amount of minutes every hour, throughout the day. What if i dont want that. What if i only want my pump to run between the hours of 1am and 3pm when the lights are all off. So i want it to run from 1am to 3pm and dose a total of 60ml per day and shut off if the ph is over 8.45. Can someone help me with the command lines for that?

Thanks.

aquamanic
05/14/2013, 02:02 PM
You would still use the oscillate command to define your on/off cycle. Adjust the 'on' time of each cycle to reflect the shorter dosing overall period. But since the oscillate runs 24 hours/day, if you only want it to run from 1am - 3pm then just follow the oscillate with a 'if time then off' statement. You can also add a high pH shutoff.

If Time 15:00 to 01:00 then OFF
If pH > 8.45 Then OFF

RussM
05/14/2013, 05:33 PM
So when looking at the EB8 i should have them plugged into the 2 far right outlets?

Assuming you have it oriented with 4 and 8 on the right, yes. <grin>

Yeah, looking at it so you can read the label without standing on your head, 4 & 8 are on the right. Outlet numbers are printed right there on the EB8 label BTW.

blackthunda77
05/15/2013, 08:32 AM
Ehh yea, i should looked before i asked. I havent "looked" at the eb8 for months, its tucked away in my cabinet. Has an obvious label on it displaying the outlet numbers.

I will have to switch out my skimmer with the dosing pump outlet as my doser is on outlet 6. Can someone explain to me the difference between the two outlets?Solid state and relay if im not mistaken.

blackthunda77
05/15/2013, 08:35 AM
nevermind, i found this article.

http://forum.neptunesystems.com/showthread.php?20-Read-this-first-Energy-Bars-and-outlets