PDA

View Full Version : 300 gallon DT mainly SPS tank thread.

ksicard
05/11/2013, 01:28 AM
I'd figure I'd go ahead and start my thread for my soon to be tank that I will be setting up over the course of the next two months. It's 5/8" thick glass (i think) and 72"x28"x36" and is suppose to be 300 gallons. I'm moving out to a new place in the next month or so and wont be setting it up till then. I plan to have a proffesional moving company move it so I don't have to worry about breaking it during transit. It has a custom stand built with metal reinforcements and a custom door built in on the side so I can slide any length of sump underneath the tank.

I'm in the process of researching and buying all the equipment I'll need to get the tank up and running. I plan on making my own sump with a 75g tank using acrylic baffles and I later plan to plumb a 75-120g tank into the 300g system to add more water and have a frag tank setup or a propagation tank. It's going to be a mixed reef but SPS corals will be the main attraction of this tank.

For lighting I plan to build my own led fixtures since I've been doing it for quite some time. I plan to build 6 18" fixtures, 2 for each 24"x28" section of the tank using this heatsink http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=nSPBzbDG_i0

Each fixture will contain 14 royal blues, 7 neutral whites, 10 true violets, 2 ocean coral white, and 2 true blue cool led's. Ocean coral whites are these http://www.ledgroupbuy.com/ocean-coral-white/

I will control all the led's via a jarduino tank controller that I build myself.

For flow I decided on 4 of the jebao wp40's, figured I give the under dogs a chance and save some big bucks rather than buying 2 mp60's. And I'll be using 2 1600gph return pumps for the dual over flows.

I plan to build my sump and add filter socks into the first chambers of the sump for mechanical filtration, and also add 2 refugium sections for LR and macro algaes run on a reverse light cycle. Carbon, and GFO in a dual reactor. And I'm still undecided on which skimmer to go with. I was thinking of a skimmer rated for 500-700 gallons for a system of this size. Any advice on what skimmer to go with would be a big help. And if my nutrients get to high I'll start vodka dosing.

I've always been a dosing person and will use a bubble magus dosing pump for ca/mg/dkh and may add a kalkwasser reactor down the line. I don't want to mess with a ca reactor and will stick to what I've always done even though it isn't the most economical.

The only think I'm not to sure on is what kind of rock scape I'm going to aim for. I probably will try going with a less rock scape in the DT and fill up the fuges with extra rock. But that is still undecided.

That's what I have planned so far, any help on skimmer selection, and rock scaping articles would be appreciated. I'll update as new things start happening. And I currently still have my 75g mixed reef operating and will have some nice starter corals ready for the tank when the tank is ready.

ksicard
05/11/2013, 07:24 AM
any thoughts/reviews on this skimmer http://www.marinedepot.com/Tunze_Master_DOC_Protein_Skimmer_In_Sump_Venturi_Protein_Skimmers_For_Tanks_Over_250_Gallons-Tunze-TZ5340-FIPSISVSOT-vi.html

The 800g one is the one I'm looking at.