PDA

View Full Version : Generic "eBay" 6 bulb T5 HO vs Reef Breeders Photon

OsiViper
05/11/2013, 07:53 AM
Just wondering if it's worth spending $500 on 2x Photon 24's or a Photon 48 when it comes out to replace my current T5 fixture from eBay.

One thing I miss with T5 is the shimmer but if both lights are closr/equal in performance I don't see spending that much just to get shimmer.

raynist
05/11/2013, 08:10 AM
The LED light will be much more powerful than the eBay t-5 fixture and will give you the ability to ramp up the lights through out the day and customize the color temp by adjusting the blue and white channels.

If you are happy with the T5 fixture why change?

I went from ATI sunpower and Powermodule fixtures to the reefbreeders photon fixtures and would never go back to T5 again.

OsiViper
05/15/2013, 12:02 PM
Its not that I'm happy or unhappy with the T5. My tank is still in the process of cycling - hasnt got any corals, fish or anything yet.

I'm just wondering if the LED will be worth putting down the $500 for it or if my T5 will be okay for my tank in the long run.

Rustafar
05/15/2013, 12:28 PM
1. Your T5 light will put out more heat than a led light would
2 LED's are more energy efficient
3. With LED's you won't need to replace the bulbs every 9-18 months
The lifespan on LED's are supposedly 5-10 years . debatable.
Just make sure you get a dimmable LED fixture

Good Luck with your tank.
Russ.

OsiViper
05/15/2013, 07:42 PM
Well right now the choice is between new led lights for tank or a new cell phone. My current phone is falling apart. But I really want the led lights, I love then shimmer, bit t5s don't give that.

I hate decisions..

Michigan Mike
05/15/2013, 10:14 PM
No coral, no need for much light.

I'd get a new phone.
Buy some nice corals and use the T5 light for a year, then decide.

Ron Reefman
05/16/2013, 07:27 AM
1. Your T5 light will put out more heat than a led light would... t5's aren't that warm that this is a big deal... MH's on the other hand... oh yeah!
2 LED's are more energy efficient... somewhat debatable, 6 bulbs x 30w each = 180w vs 2 drivers x 120w = 240w how is that less?
3. With LED's you won't need to replace the bulbs every 9-18 months
The lifespan on LED's are supposedly 5-10 years . debatable. But even replaced leds are way cheaper than replaced t5's
Just make sure you get a dimmable LED fixture... dimmable and full spectrum

And IMHO, shimmer is nice, but should be WAY down your list of reasons to spend money on a new set up, especially when you have a perfectly good t5 light already. And large spread leds don't have that great a shimmer anyway. Yes there is some, and if you have better water motion on the surface it's OK. But clustered leds or MH will give better shimmer if that is really what you want. My advise, since you asked for it, switch to the leds in 2-4 years when the system is mature and you really need/want a new light fixture.

Good Luck with your tank... +1
Russ.

Michigan Mike
05/16/2013, 11:56 AM
Oh, and after you get some coral, get good bulbs like ATI,KZ,or GIESSEMAN before you decide to ditch T5, they aren't cheap but they make a world of difference and will support you for a year, add a small clip on fan to the end of the fixture and cool the bulbs for best performance & bulb life.

OsiViper
05/16/2013, 12:11 PM
Yea, my fixture had no fans on it and got really hot 125+ degrees when it was on a while. Got 2 80mm fans and attached them to the top in the vents and wired it in so now they come on and the ballasts and anywhere around the light doesnt even get past about 100 degres.

Ron Reefman
05/16/2013, 01:57 PM
Yea, my fixture had no fans on it and got really hot 125+ degrees when it was on a while. Got 2 80mm fans and attached them to the top in the vents and wired it in so now they come on and the ballasts and anywhere around the light doesnt even get past about 100 degres.

Wow! My D120 (RB Value Fixture) and my OceanRevive fixture both run at room temperature even after running for 8 hours! Good quiet fans.:beer:

King Nine
05/17/2013, 12:16 AM
Ron is probably right that you don't need them yet. If money is tight then don't throw it away. On the other hand I am ditching T5s to set up my Reefbreeder Photons. I don't have them installed yet but they did come in today. I spend about $250 twice a year on T5 bulbs in my twelve bulb fixture. I'll be close to break even in money by this time next year and a little ahead of the game 6 months after that. I do look forward to better coral growth as people have mentioned getting with these and getting my shimmer back.

shifty51008
05/17/2013, 03:22 AM
If you want the shimmer effect why not get some cheap led strip lights? This way you can keep the t5's and get the shimmer without spending much more money.