PDA

View Full Version : Sebae Anemone or Green BTA?

jerseytankgirl
05/12/2013, 03:28 PM
Bought this today at LFS and was told it was a sebae anemone. It didn't look like this in the store. Looks more like green bubble tip anemone to me, but I've never had an anemone before. Can anyone ID for me, please? I put it on sand because I thought it was a sebae, but if it's a green BTA, I should put it on rock, right?

Reefvette
05/12/2013, 03:29 PM
Bta get it on some rock and it looks healthy too

jerseytankgirl
05/12/2013, 03:41 PM
just put it on rock and looks like this now. question about feeding. got silversides. do you thaw them in aquarium water then cut into pieces? and how much do you feed them? all of the pieces or one piece?

Reefvette
05/12/2013, 06:54 PM
Silversides are no good they are boney and are too big stick with mysis

bdevillier
05/13/2013, 08:50 PM
i feed my RBTA's scallops. bought a bag of frozen scallops for around $10 and will last me for a long time.

Reefvette
05/14/2013, 08:03 AM
be careful with food meant for humans. they often put in sulfates and phosphates.

Kuniak13
05/14/2013, 09:28 AM
I have a bra like tht that split and now have 2 I feed mysis shrimp and sometimes brine and they both do really well

Kuniak13
05/14/2013, 09:31 AM
Gotta love spell check

jerseytankgirl
05/14/2013, 10:53 AM
ok, so before i read the post about NOT giving it silversides, i gave it a small piece (about 1/2 a cm) and it just sat there on its mouth. i stepped away for a while, and when i saw it the next day, there was a white ball about the same size as the piece that i gave it stuck to the mouth. it's been there for a day now. the anemone has moved around the tank a little and appears healthy, but is that the piece of silverside that i gave it? and if so, what is it doing? i can't post a picture because he has since moved to a hole in the rock and looks like he's almost inverted?

jerseytankgirl
05/15/2013, 03:42 PM
oh no! he has gone into another hole and is def inverted and he looks "saggy". here's a pic. and another pic of the tank. he is up in a hole almost upside down and almost completely inverted above that rock in the front that kind of looks like a fan.

jerseytankgirl
05/15/2013, 05:00 PM
within a matter of 30 minutes it has started slumping and looks like it's going to fall off of the rock. doesn't look good :(

asharerin
05/15/2013, 08:18 PM
It looks fine to me. It is still acclimating to your tank, water and lights. Give it a week before feeding it (feeding is an additional stress). I have had my GBTA for a few weeks now and yours is definitely a GBTA as well. Mine originally settled in a spot I was not happy with between two rocks. I tickled his foot and he started to let go so I was able to scoop him up. You must be quick if you do it this way as they will quickly try to grab hold of another piece of rock. Once it gives up it should form a floating ball. I moved it midway up the tank and placed it on a rock with a nice crevice where I can see it in all its glory and it has been a happy camper ever since. They do like their foot to be safely hidden in a deep crevice. Mine has been happy with moderate to low water flow.

They do enjoy mysis so try feed that rather than silversides.....I gave mine half a frozen cube twice per week after a week of acclimating (I thaw mine slightly and while the glob of shrimp is still stuck together place it on the mouth). These guys will also shrivel all the way down to nothing every few days as they excrete their waste so don't be alarmed. You will see a small brown glob of gunk being expelled from the mouth when they do this. In an hour or two it will be back to normal. My clean up crew make short work of the glob of waste. These guys are hardy so relax and enjoy them!

jerseytankgirl
05/15/2013, 09:19 PM
oh, thank you!!! i thought i did my research and read something that said once you put it in the tank, to feed it immediately where you want it to stay. that it will think it's a "good place" to stay because it's getting fed there.

then when i fed it and it wasn't interested, i got scared. it actually looks a bit better now.

asharerin
05/15/2013, 10:27 PM
Not a problem. Your guy will have alot to get used to and you will see many changes in its location, size, shape of the tips and color as it adapts to its new environment. When it finds a spot it likes and is happy it should take food readily and also turn a darker brown color as it grows more symbiotic algae. Don't worry it will still appear a nice green color under blue lighting.

jerseytankgirl
06/12/2013, 06:55 PM
It has now been 4 weeks and look what happened!!!

http://youtu.be/xwTD3tVPPP4

(Don't know if that worked or not)