PDA

View Full Version : When to turn on UV?

clugo
05/13/2013, 08:50 AM
At what point of a tanks life do you start using your UV?

I already have it all plumbed in with water running thru it, but the bulb off.

The tank has gone through it's cycle, it's has some snails in it with full cuc arriving tomorrow. I hope to add fish this week also.

When I start using the uv, I only plan to run it a couple of hours a day. Is that a good plan?

Thanks for the help.

TankStudy
05/13/2013, 11:06 AM
I run my UV 24/7. I usually start my UV sterilizer once my tank starts to stablize.

brandon429
05/13/2013, 12:31 PM
all tank processes will continue in the presence of uv. you can cycle a brand new tank with it etc. the end result is you may or may not get control of the various invaders that it can beat in optimum conditions, the negative side effects aren't measurable and are a matter of opinion. I like em.

clugo
05/13/2013, 04:19 PM
I haven't had it on becuz I was worried about killing beneficial bacteria during this phase.

brandon429
05/13/2013, 05:22 PM
its ok because it doesnt totally sterilize the water anyway and it doesnt remove surface bound bacteria. if you hook up a uv from day 1 its harmless. would probably help with the initial diatom brown dusting as well, if sized right and flow is right. you can take a water sample from any aquarium using uv at any stage to a microbiologist and ask them to plate out samples of aerobic bacteria, and there will be millions. Im sure there is a nominal loss of bacteria from the equipment, it just doesnt matter in the long run. it also doesnt matter in the long run if it kills planktors but its understandable why we like them. with todays diverse frozen feed options, we have replacements.