PDA

View Full Version : Which one; Razor, Vertex, GHL,AQL,Ecotech

Mudbeaver
05/13/2013, 02:21 PM
I'm a simple practical guy who's not into fragging, or multiplying my everything in the tank kina guy.

I've put a poll not to guide me really i'll read mostly the responce for that, because people usually put what they whish they could have in polls, however those who have used it and have pics to prove it i'll retain their opinions that for sure. Its is also very true that people dont read the technical data of a product but just watches the vids on YouTube to be convince or the prices.

I also dont make my fish dance disco when i have guest at my place, so i don't need lightning simulation and the extra wasted energy or computer programing it cost to put in the plastic bar you sell me at thousand dollards that i'll use once.

As for lasting 10 years, God i hope not! I was away from the hobby just a few years and the advances already made are too much, so no. The only place i put the money to last is my fish, the tank and a good pump.

The rest has to be upgraded with the improved technology every 5-6 years or so. When i left LED was just comming out at $ 5000 A strip. So amongs all of you who used them or some of them. According to my use;

A 100G starfire tank with mostly LPS, NO SPS possibly planted, 72 long x 18 deep, 20 high (2) means i'll need two of those. The little comment are my personnal observation of the different vids and info i gathered over this month on the various models, none of which i've seen in person, or touched......

Ecotech Marine - Radion XR30w -11".8 $609.00 (2) ( Flexible light show)

GHL Mitras LX 6100 -13" $ 1 199.00 (2) ( complex cumbersome)

Aquatic Life LED - 72" $ 712.00 ( cheap looking not powerful)

Maxspect Razor R420R -27" $ 510.00 (2) ( simple , straight forward)

Vertex Illumina 260 LED - 72" $ 3 300.00 (Heavy 45Lb Weatherman light show)

Mudbeaver
05/15/2013, 11:24 AM
No one will ventured an opinion? What do you like about the razor one, why, thats what i'm really looking to read about, polls are only a cold answer they don't give me or the rest of the community, the reasons why you like or dislike somethings, it would make not only my choice but give the rest of the community at large a better understanding of your pros and cons of yours decisions, even if you only have one model talk about that one.Thanks.

ReachTheSky
05/15/2013, 11:53 AM
If the GHL Mitras is an option, get the GHL Mitras. Period.

Mudbeaver
05/15/2013, 12:34 PM

Is it an easy one to operate, does it operate on your PC or on a USB key. does it become very hot, the mounting are they easy to install, how many plugs since i'll need two of those... , are they splash resistant or not, how many do you have, do they have many programs, was it easy to communicate with the vendor who did you order from how much did you pay for, how long did it take to arrive, how good was the packaging, any delays, if so , how did the vendor treated you, would you recommend that vendor or not, whats the color you chose, did all the part where there, all in good conditions, ......... :hammer: order.......order

ReefRockerLive
05/15/2013, 02:22 PM
I voted GHL Mitras because I have one in black and it's awesome. I've been running it for a while and colors continue to improve over my previous Maxspect G2. The light is phenomenal and super bright. To my eyes, it is brighter than the Radion. When I first programmed the light, it only took a few minutes to learn how to navigate the GHL program.

Hanging the Mitras is easy and the one power cord can discretely be tucked away. On the plus side, the power supply is small. I've seen the power supply for the Radion and it's about the same size as the light itself.

I run my light at 85% and the top of the light is warm to the touch and the fan is beyond silent. No light is completely splash resistant, but if your wondering if it has a cover for the LEDs, then yes it does. My light hangs 9" from the water and there's minimal salt creep on the cover.

Reef Bytes sold me the light and the service was above and beyond excellent from beginning to end. The light was well packaged and arrived intact.

The support team is excellent and always there to assist.

Mudbeaver
05/15/2013, 03:05 PM
I voted GHL Mitras because I have one in black and it's awesome. I've been running it for a while and colors continue to improve over my previous Maxspect G2. The light is phenomenal and super bright. To my eyes, it is brighter than the Radion. When I first programmed the light, it only took a few minutes to learn how to navigate the GHL program.

Hanging the Mitras is easy and the one power cord can discretely be tucked away. On the plus side, the power supply is small. I've seen the power supply for the Radion and it's about the same size as the light itself.

I run my light at 85% and the top of the light is warm to the touch and the fan is beyond silent. No light is completely splash resistant, but if your wondering if it has a cover for the LEDs, then yes it does. My light hangs 9" from the water and there's minimal salt creep on the cover.

Reef Bytes sold me the light and the service was above and beyond excellent from beginning to end. The light was well packaged and arrived intact.

The support team is excellent and always there to assist.

Thanks man your post was both extremely helpfull and at least friendly, to the point of making the other contact seem rude in comparison, first time on this site, and when asking questions, its difficult to understand if i'm breaking rules or killing someone dog at the same time. lol. Thanks i was leaning toward radion, thanks for that . :wavehand: Right now guy you can vote all Razor and shave with it but you give me no reason in writing to choose it, it look sleek that all , if you have one show it to me or talk to me about it just a vote don't get my cash; ReefRocker here made a good case for his, make a goo one for yours.

Mudbeaver
05/15/2013, 03:50 PM
I think i'll actually need three;

http://i434.photobucket.com/albums/qq68/Basilesim/Closedloopfulllit.jpg

Fryman
05/15/2013, 10:32 PM
You didn't list Kessil, so I think you should look into the A350, A350W, A360 or A360W. You would need 3 or 4 of those, I think they run from $400-450 each.

The problem with polls is that it only tells you which company is most popular, not what's best for you. The truth is, all of these fixtures have worked for someone, so a poll won't really give you the answer you want. It's really more a matter of what options (and price) are most important to you. You should pick the fixture(s) that best meets your needs.

jjk_reef00
05/15/2013, 10:36 PM

+1 GHL is top notch.
There are actually 2 owner threads. 1 in the equipment forum and 1 in the GHL forum.

that Fish Guy
05/15/2013, 10:59 PM
Maxspect Razor LED all the way.

toky916
05/16/2013, 03:09 AM
It's personal preference I have a mixed reef and when I was planing my tank the Kessil 350w seem good for me loved the goose neck could not hang anything the arch/dome in the living room.
Only con is control wish it had some simple timer/dim of some kind, i still don't like the 360 since I don't have any type of apex or ect...

Strong light tho my hammer and frogspawn and everything else is happy all tho bleached a few corals including a sps colony :( when i started hehe they where cheep but still I run 25% blue and 50% white and looks amazing shimmer no disco and depending on waves on top u could make more or less shimmer just play with it.

Mudbeaver
05/16/2013, 04:22 AM
You didn't list Kessil, so I think you should look into the A350, A350W, A360 or A360W. You would need 3 or 4 of those, I think they run from $400-450 each.

The problem with polls is that it only tells you which company is most popular, not what's best for you. The truth is, all of these fixtures have worked for someone, so a poll won't really give you the answer you want. It's really more a matter of what options (and price) are most important to you. You should pick the fixture(s) that best meets your needs.

Like i said in the post the poll is mostly a list of what i found interesting but the real ones are the ones you will bring be into answers like your doing right now with experiences you had with them and your quotes and your personnnal reviews, thats what i'll probably use the most thanksfor yor time on the issue. I also included a plan of to better give an idea of the use i'm gona make of them; its mostly LPS i've give up sps really and frankly i prefer LPS. Thanks for your input and your time.

notclear
05/16/2013, 05:18 AM
If go for Illumina, you don't need 72", 60" is fine.

DaveG99
05/16/2013, 05:34 AM
I have a razor and I love it. If I had an extra few thousand to waste I might go with the fancy $900 radions but why waste money. The razor is the best bang for your buck while keeping it stylish. Its a fantastic lookign light, easy to operate, flexible settings, producing a full spectrum, and best of all you cover a 3'x 2' area with a ton of light for $500. Other fixtures cant come close as they mostly cover a 2'x 2' area.

Chris Lakies
05/16/2013, 06:05 AM
Are u into DIY? If so build one to suit your needs. U should be able to build for about half the price. If u have an apex u can control each channel. I have 6 channels of control and more PAR than i know what to do with.

Mudbeaver
05/16/2013, 09:05 AM
Are u into DIY? If so build one to suit your needs. U should be able to build for about half the price. If u have an apex u can control each channel. I have 6 channels of control and more PAR than i know what to do with.

Sorry no DIY electricity and me not good, beside from articles i've red no DIY come even close to what market offers in terms of output and quality according to multiple reviews and tech papers. And its not your eyes that can mesure if its bright enough but instruments.

Chris Lakies
05/16/2013, 09:13 AM
Sorry no DIY electricity and me not good, beside from articles i've red no DIY come even close to what market offers in terms of output and quality according to multiple reviews and tech papers. And its not your eyes that can mesure if its bright enough but instruments.

This isn't speculation from my eyes. I have a par meter.

matty0206
05/16/2013, 09:20 AM
I voted Razor because it is what I have and the only one I can recommend from experience. They are easy to use, look great, have good color, and inexpensive. I run a tank without a canopy so the sleek look was important to me, not having to buy a separate controller was another plus for me, I'm simple and cheap.

M.phenax
05/16/2013, 10:14 AM
Go for the Razor. I've had mine for nearly a year and love it. I have it over an open tank, and my corals are doing great. It is plug and play. You can mimic sunrise to sunset, and the lights ramp up slowly etc. You can control the intensity of the lights and change the intensity as your corals become acclimated. When I can afford to change the T5s on another tank, I will be buying another Razor

Mudbeaver
05/16/2013, 10:53 AM
I voted Razor because it is what I have and the only one I can recommend from experience. They are easy to use, look great, have good color, and inexpensive. I run a tank without a canopy so the sleek look was important to me, not having to buy a separate controller was another plus for me, I'm simple and cheap.

Go for the Razor. I've had mine for nearly a year and love it. I have it over an open tank, and my corals are doing great. It is plug and play. You can mimic sunrise to sunset, and the lights ramp up slowly etc. You can control the intensity of the lights and change the intensity as your corals become acclimated. When I can afford to change the T5s on another tank, I will be buying another Razor

Thanks guys you've answer the question an gave me good pointers about your systems . Are the razor come with a suspension cables unit or is it seperate, do you think i would need 2 or 3 for my 72 inch long tank.

matty0206
05/16/2013, 11:08 AM
Thanks guys you've answer the question an gave me good pointers about your systems . Are the razor come with a suspension cables unit or is it seperate, do you think i would need 2 or 3 for my 72 inch long tank.

They come with legs and a hanging kit. I think 2 27's would be good on a 72" tank, 3 would be awesome though!

klwheat
05/16/2013, 11:47 AM
Well, I'll recommend to radions. I have 3 of them between my 2 tanks. I love them. I don't really use the light show effects, but they are kinda cool. Mostly, I like being able to log on and change whatever I want fairly easily with the PC. Also, they just work..plenty of good, and good looking light.

Mudbeaver
05/16/2013, 12:56 PM
Well, I'll recommend to radions. I have 3 of them between my 2 tanks. I love them. I don't really use the light show effects, but they are kinda cool. Mostly, I like being able to log on and change whatever I want fairly easily with the PC. Also, they just work..plenty of good, and good looking light.

The power supply size doesn't bother you its apparently fairely big. I did whatch a vid of its installment and i was impressed but it didn't show the power bar.

devimik
05/16/2013, 01:21 PM
I have two 20.5" Razor 120W units on my 90g, which is 48" long. I love the lights, but I have not had any other lights to compare these with. I just know that in the research I did perform on LED lights, the Razor offers the most for the money. I got two lights for about $900 and they come with hanging kit and legs. For $25, I ordered connecting rods that eliminate the middle sets of legs that used to sit on my center cross brace.

These lights look great, use the high quality Cree lamps and chips, and provide a great deal of flexibility given two preset photoperiods, customizable photoperiods and manual operation via a digital control panel on the edge of the lights. They can't be connected to your computer, but that, to me, isn't a big deal as you usually set them and forget them. I would much rather have the sunrise to sunset gradual dimming and ramping up of the lights than the instant shocking on and off of a normal timer with a non-controllable light.

They seem to be very well built and do not put out much heat at all.

matty0206
05/16/2013, 01:38 PM
The power supply size doesn't bother you its apparently fairely big. I did whatch a vid of its installment and i was impressed but it didn't show the power bar.

Be aware, the Razor power supplies are large also. I have never seen a Radion power supply to compare though.

klwheat
05/16/2013, 02:02 PM

The power supply if definitely big enough to notice, but it's still smaller than the ballasts I used to have for MH lights. It is under my stand, so I never really see it anyway.
If you check out my webcam, you can see 2 of them above my shallow ray/shark tank.

Mudbeaver
05/16/2013, 02:21 PM
I have two 20.5" Razor 120W units on my 90g, which is 48" long. I love the lights, but I have not had any other lights to compare these with. I just know that in the research I did perform on LED lights, the Razor offers the most for the money. I got two lights for about $900 and they come with hanging kit and legs. For $25, I ordered connecting rods that eliminate the middle sets of legs that used to sit on my center cross brace.

These lights look great, use the high quality Cree lamps and chips, and provide a great deal of flexibility given two preset photoperiods, customizable photoperiods and manual operation via a digital control panel on the edge of the lights. They can't be connected to your computer, but that, to me, isn't a big deal as you usually set them and forget them. I would much rather have the sunrise to sunset gradual dimming and ramping up of the lights than the instant shocking on and off of a normal timer with a non-controllable light.

They seem to be very well built and do not put out much heat at all.

Hey thanks, actually the Computer stuff is the thing that bother me the most. I don't really want it. Its too much, i want something managable by hand and not always with technology you know. if the tech goes well .... you pay alot for that extra glamor i dont need that i just want a good lighting system. And like i said at the beginning, i'm not into fragging or any prizes , so this one seem to be tipping the ballance if not the ballast, hahahah lol. ya i know ... thanks guys. have a nice day.:wavehand:

nanoreefer1000
05/16/2013, 04:18 PM
IMO Razor, a close second to me would be the Illumia. The Radion PRO is the only thing Ecotech has made that appeals to me, it would be third.

Mudbeaver
05/16/2013, 04:59 PM
The power supply if definitely big enough to notice, but it's still smaller than the ballasts I used to have for MH lights. It is under my stand, so I never really see it anyway.
If you check out my webcam, you can see 2 of them above my shallow ray/shark tank.

Be aware, the Razor power supplies are large also. I have never seen a Radion power supply to compare though.

IMO Razor, a close second to me would be the Illumia. The Radion PRO is the only thing Ecotech has made that appeals to me, it would be third.

Thanks guy just to give you an idea of my interest in the Razor take a look at my plan again.

http://i434.photobucket.com/albums/qq68/Basilesim/Nouveaux%20chapitre%202013/Lecompletloop.jpg

You see that 20 inch headroom between the two levels. Thats why i need something functional and efficient at the same time. Some of the choices i put in the poll are equally good and certainly some superiors but the headroom , plus some of those choices can't be in an inclosed area, then to be able to work i'll have to move those lights, i don't want to move the 45Lb Vertex Illumina sorry but no. Plus i need one that can be hanged, most are however. The Razor seem to litterally fit the space , is light enough, and will be good enough for LPS in a 20 " high tank. Two 27" should do or 3 X 20" will see. Thanks for your time guys.

ReefRockerLive
05/16/2013, 09:31 PM
If you go with the Mitras, you'll only need two of them. The one fixture I have over my tank is easily covering a 3ft x 2ft space. I think if you can setup some rails with 80/20 framing, you should be able to slide the lights to the side without a problem.

As for the Mitras power supply, it's roughly 9"x 3" x 2".

Mudbeaver
05/25/2013, 07:34 PM
Just when and see one A Razor ! WoW very slick! The vendor told me that they're very good until 24" high after that; Radion would be better, the manufacturer told me about the same of course he told me of his own next level brand of course but thats the info i got. My tank is 19" high so i'm ok. The light is just warm to the touch and very light looking, very bright but not blinding. And its control are simple, just like an ordinary digit alarm clock and manual dimer. You don't pay for an expensive harware computerised disco tang Hall of fame here, tank God they kept it simple here.

rachelcb80
05/25/2013, 09:05 PM
I don't speak from a lot of experience but I have the Razor (the 20.5" one over my 50g cube). I started out in the LED world with an Elos e-Lite so any LED seems like a major upgrade from that piece of junk (though it does good on my planted tank now). I have been extremely pleased with my Razor and the simplicity but limitless options on the configuration of the white/blue intensity and time points is fantastic. My tank is 20" deep and my zoas are very happy at the very bottom while only at 60% at the peak of the day. In fact I moved a couple up about four inches on the rock work (Blo Pops and one of the various Hornets) and they were very unhappy. Moved them back to the sand bed and they opened back up. I'm slowly building my SPS stock and what I have thus far is doing well under the Razor.

It's probably not top of line and I imagine there are fancier lights out there but for the money I think it's a great fixture and it works for my level in the hobby.

Mudbeaver
05/25/2013, 09:16 PM
I don't speak from a lot of experience but I have the Razor (the 20.5" one over my 50g cube). I started out in the LED world with an Elos e-Lite so any LED seems like a major upgrade from that piece of junk (though it does good on my planted tank now). I have been extremely pleased with my Razor and the simplicity but limitless options on the configuration of the white/blue intensity and time points is fantastic. My tank is 20" deep and my zoas are very happy at the very bottom while only at 60% at the peak of the day. In fact I moved a couple up about four inches on the rock work (Blo Pops and one of the various Hornets) and they were very unhappy. Moved them back to the sand bed and they opened back up. I'm slowly building my SPS stock and what I have thus far is doing well under the Razor.

It's probably not top of line and I imagine there are fancier lights out there but for the money I think it's a great fixture and it works for my level in the hobby.

Thanks for your account, i'm sold on that one for a while. i've contacted the company via their site on the net and they directed me to a store in my city and that how i was able to see the unit for myself very impressed with its simplicity in all aspect. and now your account of performance helps also. I need 4 or 5 of those for my 2 tanks 3X 16 000k and 2 X 10 000k .

Mudbeaver
05/30/2013, 05:29 AM
Got my Razors this morning, 2 of them anway. Wow totaly what i expected! Slick, simple, light, slim, easy, very luke not even warm to the touch. program is so simple. I just want ti light my tank, not turn it into a disco tank for the occasional visitors, and freak out my fish for a few cheap laughs; or in this case very expensive laughs. No extra programing that can go wrong just a good sensible system made for a 20" hight tank. After that you have to go for another higher grade, series radion is, for tanks higher than 20 ". Another thing i've learned about the razors is that you can order them according to your tank population, if your going SPS all the way order 16 000K,for deep blues like in nature if your middle ground with LPS SPS and a bit od everything, 10 000K will have a bit more green and cool white. If you have a shallow species tanks , even planted tank with macro-algae go with a 8 000K lots of cool white green and less blues. The all accomodate the 3 medium but if you specialise they can specialise your unit too for you no problem. Since i'm having a refigium on top on my reef tank the planted fuge will have 2 X 10 000k and my Reef tank 2X 16 000K.

reefs4lifee
05/30/2013, 06:50 AM
If recommendations are being made simply on what people are using, then I recommend Pacific Sun fixtures. Specifically, I have 4 160w 3-channel Black Pythons over my 210 and I've loved them thus far. My tank is pretty deep, 29" and I run the lights at about 75%. To give and idea of their power, consindering the 75% and the 29", I keep 3 clams and a haddoni on the sandbed. All have been doing very well.

To add, they have an awesome control program that is downloaded on a computer and uses bluetooth or wifi to connect to the lamp. I dont mess around with much, but the sunrise/sunset feature is nice although it is also capable of seasons and overcast/lightning simulations through the new control updates.

Mudbeaver
05/30/2013, 07:02 AM
If recommendations are being made simply on what people are using, then I recommend Pacific Sun fixtures. Specifically, I have 4 160w 3-channel Black Pythons over my 210 and I've loved them thus far. My tank is pretty deep, 29" and I run the lights at about 75%. To give and idea of their power, consindering the 75% and the 29", I keep 3 clams and a haddoni on the sandbed. All have been doing very well.

Oh no, thats not how it works, those names have been chosen for a very good reasons. They where contendors in a show, and specification where given to them each in a cathegory and each according to design and purpouse. The price, usage etc... And then the other trimmings, goodies that are usualy jack up the price for nothing and that are used the first day but never again.... read the thread.

reefs4lifee
05/30/2013, 07:44 AM
Oh no, thats not how it works, those names have been chosen for a very good reasons. They where contendors in a show, and specification where given to them each in a cathegory and each according to design and purpouse. The price, usage etc... And then the other trimmings, goodies that are usualy jack up the price for nothing and that are used the first day but never again.... read the thread.

Well I apologize for missing that point about them being contendors in a show but one your options in your poll is "None of the above i have another posted for you" so my post still stands.

Check them out for yourself: http://www.pacificsun.imagineanocean.com/

Mudbeaver
05/30/2013, 10:24 AM
Well I apologize for missing that point about them being contendors in a show but one your options in your poll is "None of the above i have another posted for you" so my post still stands.

Check them out for yourself: http://www.pacificsun.imagineanocean.com/

Of course , its reasonable. I'll look into it. Thanks.

unze
06/14/2013, 05:02 AM
Ghl would work well, the razors are too dim.

Mudbeaver
06/14/2013, 06:51 AM
Ghl would work well, the razors are too dim.

Actually no. The Maxspec Razors have a good PAR till 20" high or deep if you like. My tank is 19" so its perfect. This is one of the important thing about reading the manufacturer's manuals. They idicate the performance of their product and you can see if its appropriate to your set up. Me i can get away with that particular model. One thing i like about the Razors its just plain and simple no over the top computerised controles and unecessary programs that you wont use. Whats the real use of a cloud or thunderstorm program for your corals does it help in their development or is it just a disco program that flatters your ego and sets the price at $ 1 350 or $3 200 a piece. Mine are very light 4.5 lb compare to the 40lb Vertex, slick, easy to operate does the job and are $ 500 a piece so i have 4 for my set up. If i had a 24 " high i would of chosen a Echo Radion for $ 800 a piece good till 24" high .

AQD_ottawa
06/14/2013, 07:08 AM
Not saying the info from manufacturers is false but I would look for some independent reviews also.

Quality and performance comes at a price, there is a reason why the high priced lamps are that price, nothing to do with ego bound manufacturers but the cost of development and not picking readily available parts off alibaba.com

Take the Mitras as an example, it has built in LDT (Thats a trade mark for Linear dimming technology) only Mitras offers this built in component, Linear dimming makes the lamp dim the same way as a T5 no step down, instead a smooth analogue curve that eliminates the digital steps you see in other lamps. This is highly important when you get down to about 20% when sitting in front of the tank.

The development of custom reflectors, not lenses or optics, this provides complete LED convergence so you do not get a disco ball on your tank, Mitras reflectors took 2 years to develop and tested at a high ranking German university optical research center.

Quality construction, Mitras uses high end extruded very light aluminium.

Fans - You simple cant hear a fan in the Mitras due to the extreme quality used.

These extra components cost money and is what separates cheaper lamps from others.

Then it comes down to how many you need, GHL Mitras has a proven spread of 36x32x30++ so always do your maths on how many you need and the cost. You may find the cheaper option actually ends up costing you more.

Never buy a lamp on its PAR output alone, there is a lot more to a light than just that one component. Its not what you got its how you use it!

Mudbeaver
06/14/2013, 07:27 AM
Not saying the info from manufacturers is false but I would look for some independent reviews first before believing all you read.

Quality and performance comes at a price, there is a reason why the high priced lamps are that price, nothing to do with ego bound manufacturers but the cost of development and not picking readily available parts off alibaba.com

Take the Mitras as an example, it has built in LDT (Thats a trade mark for Linear dimming technology) only Mitras offers this built in component, Linear dimming makes the lamp dim the same way as a T5 no step down, instead a smooth analogue curve that eliminates the digital steps you see in other lamps. This is highly important when you get down to about 20% when sitting in front of the tank.

The development of custom reflectors, not lenses or optics, this provides complete LED convergence so you do not get a disco ball on your tank, Mitras reflectors took 2 years to develop and tested at a high ranking German university optical research center.

Quality construction, Mitras uses high end extruded very light aluminium.

Fans - You simple cant hear a fan in the Mitras due to the extreme quality used.

These extra components cost money and is what separates cheaper lamps from others.

Then it comes down to how many you need, GHL Mitras has a proven spread of 36x32x30++ so always do your maths on how many you need and the cost. You may find the cheaper option actually ends up costing you more.

Never buy a lamp on its PAR output alone, there is a lot more to a light than just that one component. Its not what you got its how you use it!

I did consul others who bought it and mesured its par under water and its what the manufacturere said it was. Beside any manifacturer is not stupid, lying about such a costly product he know he'll have to reimbursed the buyer and with are very small community news travel fast and his name is mud for a long time so , not to his advantage. Most name delivers what they claim, talking about big names $$$ but its the cross refference that important, i've done 8 different sites with question about LED, Razor came positive in most cases, YT as well owners, reviews, LFS, you get what you pay for. Its a great little LED for 20" deep no more. After that yes you need to look elsewhere, Radion has a solid one for a reasonable price that covers 24" deep, deeper you need anothe one i think not sure. The faint look of the Razors yes because its not for deep waters, shallow water. and the advertise that way too. And the other very attractive feature was its simplicity of operation, no computer program thats reflected in the cost to. Cloud, and thunderstorms programs do nothing for the developemnt of my corals, its a disco gadget to flatter the buyer and that sets the price higher because that cost money to put in, so i'm happy with just the one cord, one button two controls and 3 different lighting options dimmers timers, thats enough for me and for the corals. The rest are for the rich. Another aspect i don't want my lights to last 10 years, after 6 years its time to upgrades that most important piece of equipment with NEWER technology and probably at cheaper price too.

AQD_ottawa
06/14/2013, 07:39 AM
I agree, as I said I dont mean the manufacturers info is false or wrong, I agree this would be commercial suicide.

In the reef environment you do tend to see differences(often positive) this is why I especially like to see as many end user reviews to push forward the products quality and performance. I have had experience with 4 LED lamps and I can openly say the two that did perform greater than that was advertised were the Radion and Mitras. I must add I have never played with a Razor.

The mitras just as the radion did is currently going through one of the most independent, respect and rigorous testing programs out there (more details will follow in the months to come) this is always good for a manufacturer to either fine tune a product or to propel the existing product with sound unbiased test results.

For the shallow reef I can see why the draw to the Razor for sure and it has had a great number of positive end user reviews.

I love Threads like these, they are great because it brings a number of owners together of various lamps for buyers to see in one place everyone thoughts and experiences.

Mudbeaver
06/14/2013, 07:55 AM
I agree, as I said I dont mean the manufacturers info is false or wrong, I agree this would be commercial suicide.

In the reef environment you do tend to see differences(often positive) this is why I especially like to see as many end user reviews to push forward the products quality and performance.

The mitras just as the radion did is currently going through one of the most independent, respect and rigorous testing programs out there (more details will follow in the months to come) this is always good for a manufacturer to either fine tune a product or to propel the existing product with sound unbiased test results.

For the shallow reef I can see why the draw to the Razor for sure and it has had a great number of positive end user reviews.

One reason i put yours in the list is because it was on my list to buy.
But i had criterias to meet. It answered all except 2-3.

- The size , in my set up i have 20 inch between the tank and the second level tank right above, the razor was thinner

- Since the other tank was so close above i needed a light that was able to be confined and was cool enough. According to your own set of instruction
the unit cannot be inclosed and release lots of heat to cool the unit. That would of play havock with the temperature of my top tank.

-The third is not worth mentioning

Mudbeaver
06/15/2013, 05:55 AM
Like i said in my previous post one of my criteria for my choice was space between my two level tank only 20 inch between them so i needed something that would fit. I was lucky enough with the Razor

http://i434.photobucket.com/albums/qq68/Basilesim/Nouveaux%20chapitre%202013/Maxspect-27-Inch-Razor-R420R-10-000K-LED-Light-Fixture-98.jpg

The GHL Mitras was a good contender but a few draw back was the heat was dissipating right under my other tank( heat issue) that the manifacturer was also pointing out NO INCLOSED area. And the fact that Mitras was too powerfull for my needs. Razor are good for tanks up to 20" high mine is 19" high, mitras is for tanks up to 30" high i think, so too much unnecessary power, heat and not as slick.

http://i434.photobucket.com/albums/qq68/Basilesim/Nouveaux%20chapitre%202013/MitrasLX6100silverwhite_400x189.png

That was the reason for my choices.Always look at your needs first and the PAR that you need, the Gadgets are also secondary, thats not what your coral or fish will benefit from. Cloud or thunderstorm don't make your coral more vibrant. Par ,spare parts, customer service, thats what is important. Those i've put in my list had all that by the way, the one i chose had just what i needed. Thanks for your time.

AQD_ottawa
06/15/2013, 06:59 AM
Great review its been a good read.

Just as an fyi for info. The mitras vents out the ends not from the top, it sucks air down from the top grills and out the end vents, however yes it can not be enclosed unless there is an opening. However GHL are in the process of launching the GHL Linear which will be an enclosure fixture.

The Mitras is also output controllable so even if you have a shallow tank you simple turn down its power.

Many thanks for your great thread :)

Mudbeaver
06/15/2013, 07:16 AM
Great review its been a good read.

Just as an fyi for info. The mitras vents out the ends not from the top, it sucks air down from the top grills and out the end vents, however yes it can not be enclosed unless there is an opening. However GHL are in the process of launching the GHL Linear which will be an enclosure fixture.

The Mitras is also output controllable so even if you have a shallow tank you simple turn down its power.

Many thanks for your great thread :)

Well i did tell the most important stuff from each product some are more powerfull, some more cumbersome some way too heavy 45Lb no need for that anymore, extra programing means more money, ( if your willing sure) but what is important in the end is what why do we buy the lights; the corals. I've engage the consumer into a reflection on how to buy his product and why he was buying it and for what purpose. I thank you for your involvment and interest its shows your commitment to your product and clientel. I've nothing but good things about your product actually , glad we connected this way and in the futur... i use to own a GHL controler and doser that worked very well, before i left the hobby a few years back.

thelostrican
06/15/2013, 08:50 AM
I went with mitras have 2 on the way, will probably go for a third one for my 72" setup...
What I loved about them was the spread they have...also Ottawa it's always around so I know I won't have warranty problems...

I hope your happy with your choice!!!!

Mudbeaver
06/15/2013, 09:02 AM
I went with mitras have 2 on the way, will probably go for a third one for my 72" setup...
What I loved about them was the spread they have...also Ottawa it's always around so I know I won't have warranty problems...

I hope your happy with your choice!!!!

Thanks where did you buy yours what store.What was the price for one.

thelostrican
06/15/2013, 09:05 AM
I bought mine at reefbytes, really cool guys with great service...

Mudbeaver
06/15/2013, 09:10 AM
I bought mine at reefbytes, really cool guys with great service...

Ya i knew about their service they basically follow you all the way, very supportive. The Maxspect are the same so is Echo tech. What else can you tell us about your unit, feel of it heavy light, smooth, robust, size of power bar, connection desciption in full is a great seller.

thelostrican
06/15/2013, 09:35 AM
Let me be more descriptive , I apologize I am on the iPad, I haven't received mine I just bought them, In the mitras tread you can see the spread, also on reef builders they had a compare and you can see the spread vis to vis, I'll post more as soon as I get them...

Once again I apologize I don't want to misled nobody but i had that same dilemma and in the end I narrowed between the radion pro, and the mitras...it was tough decision because ecotech support it's really good.

Mudbeaver
06/15/2013, 10:40 AM
Let me be more descriptive , I apologize I am on the iPad, I haven't received mine I just bought them, In the mitras tread you can see the spread, also on reef builders they had a compare and you can see the spread vis to vis, I'll post more as soon as I get them...

Once again I apologize I don't want to misled nobody but i had that same dilemma and in the end I narrowed between the radion pro, and the mitras...it was tough decision because ecotech support it's really good.

Oh ok cool keep in touch and relay your impressions it amkes for a good read on the thread. Thansk for your time.

Mudbeaver
06/15/2013, 06:24 PM
This is a nice little vid that explain much about your color schemes of your LED, it happens to be of those i bought but its very well made and will help anyone for any type or make who isn't sure about whats the difference between 8 000k , 10 000k and 16 000k and what they mean.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3A49TGvLdDw