PDA

View Full Version : Noob Mistakes

tazdvl
05/14/2013, 05:12 PM
OK, First tank ever and I got in a hurry and didn't do my homework I have 2 small tank bred Maroon clowns about 1.5 inches each, They look like they are pairing off they sleep together kinda look like pushing each other around but nothing looks stressful. Both eat robustly and no hanging in corners, torn fins ect. This is a 20 gallon Fish only tank might add rock later. Only other tank mate is a fire shrimp. Want to add one other fish at some point just scared that the clowns will be too aggressive if I wait to long. Any advise on a good tank-mate in this situation? If leaving it at these 2 clowns is all I got, I could live with that as well. Maybe they will try to bring more clowns into this world at some point.

Thanks in advance for any suggestions

TazDvl

E Rosewater
05/14/2013, 05:16 PM
Maybe a small wrasse, or dwarf angel?

What's your aversion to rock? It could be used to set up little territories.

OranguTang
05/14/2013, 05:17 PM
Does the tank have any structures at all for hiding? You can rearrange when adding a new fish to remove any territorial boundaries from the equation.

Denbf58
05/14/2013, 05:24 PM
[welcome] you can look in to some thing in gobie family long trem a 20g is a little small for a clown fish

tazdvl
05/14/2013, 05:38 PM
Yes the more I think about it the more I will have to get my wife used to the idea of a bigger tank.....for the little fishes sake ! :p No honey the tank didn't get bigger the desk just got smaller somehow. thanks for the replies! There are several good hiding places for small 1" ish fish, one really nice nook but fire shrimp seems to have adopted that one.

ska d
05/14/2013, 07:29 PM
Yes the more I think about it the more I will have to get my wife used to the id. of a bigger tank.....for the little fishes sake ! :p No honey the tank didn't get bigger the desk just got smaller somehow. thanks for the replies! There are several good hiding places for small 1" ish fish, one really nice nook but fire shrimp seems to have adopted that one.

Or, no honey, I had to replace the fish with smaller ones and the tank just looks bigger. This may turn into a "how to" thread.

Spyderturbo007
05/15/2013, 06:13 AM
I personally wouldn't add any more fish. Maroon clowns are know to be highly aggressive and I don't see them tolerating another fish in such a small tank. You could always try, but be prepared to pull the new fish and return him to the store should they become aggressive.

FTDelta
05/15/2013, 08:31 AM
I agree with the above post. Don't be too surprised when one of them turns on his mate as he turns into a she.