PDA

View Full Version : American DJ PC-100A Flame-Out! Again!

cma510
05/14/2013, 06:06 PM
OK, so I have to know. Many of us use the American DJ PC-100A to control power to various pumps, reactors, etc. Has anyone else had problems with individual switches going boom?

I'm traveling for work and my pet sitter went to turn off one of the switches on mine and apparently flames came out the front and it shot some sparks (!!) until she unplugged the equipment in the back (my return pump, which seems to be ok). Definitely NOT what you want to hear from 3000+ miles away.

I had this happen another time too (about a year ago) and it ended up melting the plug in back. Thought it was just a defective unit but now I'm not so sure. Maybe my pumps lights etc are just pulling too much current? There's not much salt creep in that area.

Has this happened to anyone else? What are you guys using to direct power where you need it? Can anyone recommend anything a little heavier duty?

Chris

skinnyboy81
05/14/2013, 06:15 PM
I have had switches fail on 4 different units. The first time it happened was with in a year of my purchases (I have two on the system). Both units had switches stuck on. The switch would not move. They also both had a switch that flipped back and forth but did not power up. I sent both units back and they were replaced. The replacements lasted about 1.5 years before the same thing happened. They now are not under warranty and will not be replaced.

cma510
05/14/2013, 08:03 PM
Yeah same thing happened to mine, one switch started to go (was on but wouldn't light), then blew up when switched to off. It just seems like there should be a better product out there, maybe something a little heavier-duty that will last.

cakemanPA
05/15/2013, 05:23 AM
I have found with these that is you are keeping them in your cabinet where it is moist that they will fail. They were not meant for what we use them for.

woganaga
05/15/2013, 06:32 AM
I have not had a flameout as described, but two of the switches have "melted" into the on position.... It is on my (long) list of things to fix.....