PDA

View Full Version : Whats the difference between?

barbazoid
05/15/2013, 11:10 PM
cool/ neutral/ warm white? is one better for coral growth?

toky916
05/16/2013, 02:53 AM
Are u talking about LED's ? They go by color temp 11k 14k are the most common in fixtures.

Ron Reefman
05/16/2013, 06:54 AM
cool/ neutral/ warm white? is one better for coral growth?

They are all white light leds. The cool white leans a bit to the blue end of the spectrum, neutral is just plain white and warm leans a bit toward a yellowish or reddish tungsten color.

Which one is better for coral growth? Ones that light up! :spin1:

IMHO, there really isn't much difference in a 12"-36" deep aquarium. Your led fixture will have lots of blue leds (probably in multiply shades) so a bit of blue in a cool white led isn't really important. Out in a real reef I think the cool white might do a bit better with deeper systems as the color blue penetrates water better than other colors and colors are bit more accustom to it. But corals, their zoanthealia really, use red shades as well, but red doesn't penetrate water as well as blue. But those penetration effects really don't apply to shallow aquariums... or even 4-6' deep ones for that matter.

I used all 3 whites in my led color layouts.

mt4sure
05/16/2013, 10:29 PM
From what I have read lower kelvins around 10k or lower give the best growth for most corals but make for ugly coloration. Most people go for something that gives fairly good growth and nice coloration which usually end up being around the 12k to 14k area and higher if you like your corals to pop more in color.

Posted from ReefCentral.com App for Android