PDA

View Full Version : Kalkwasser, Iodine and Essential Elements

sliggy382
05/16/2013, 04:56 AM
I thought I would repost in the chemistry section.
Is it possible to mix kalkwasser, iodine and essential elements in the same container for top off?
Is the kalkwasser too basic for these other elements?
The reason-I wanted to do a constant supply of I2 and essential elements rather than my once a week treatment.

rayjay
05/16/2013, 06:06 AM
Unfortunately I don't know if they can be mixed.
However, I would question why you want to in the first place.
IMO, you probably have no need to dose "essential" element, and especially iodine in any form.
Iodine is added pretty well every time you feed your tank, as are many other elements. In fact, I do water changes to LOWER element levels that build up from feeding.
IMO, unless you have something out of the ordinary that would require it, the only good the "additives" will do is make money for the seller.
Kalk, or two part systems, or Randy's DIY replacements for Calcium, Alkalinity and Magnesium are all the majority of tanks need when a regular regimen of water changes is in place.

disc1
05/16/2013, 07:48 AM
Those can't be mixed. There's really not a lot other than vinegar that can be mixed with kalk.

tmz
05/16/2013, 08:35 AM
I agree they won't stay in solution in the limewater's baxiccity. Self purification is one of the features of calcium hydroxie dosing I like.