PDA

View Full Version : Arduino Vs. Netduino for Controller

Damon.Webb22
05/16/2013, 07:16 AM
Hello DIYers! I am interested in building my own controller that is expandable to cover many functions. At the moment I am setting up a 40b tank so I am not really worried about tons and tons of stuff. Mainly I am going to start with LED control, Temp control, pump control, and PH and salinity monitors. Eventually I will add ATO and Kalk and what not but that is in the future.

I have been doing a lot of research on Arduino's and Netduino's and would like some advice. I know both will work but I was hoping for some discussion on which is "better" as a platform to create your own controller. It appears as if there are more Arduino controllers out there but I am assuming that is just because it has been around longer. I also know they use different programming languages and supposedly the Netduino is easier to program higher level stuff (I should mention I have *some* experience with programming but mainly with languages like Ada). Besides that it almost seems like which you choose is sheer preference and I would like everyones thoughts on which they would recommend and if you can please explain why.

Thanks for the input folks!
:beer:

iced98lx
05/16/2013, 07:50 AM
Well, to say I'm biased is an understatement.

Here is my Netduino controller build:
http://reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2250389

The Netduino forums has mine (which I do post source for but isn't targeted towards others using) and another more general pupropse one that is apparently pretty ready for production:

http://forums.netduino.com/index.php?/topic/5285-n2-aquarium-controller/

I haven't used the other, but development looks active and quite nice.

I would only suggest netduino if you have experience with or an apptitude towrads learning C# though. Otherwise so many more resources for Arduino out there.

Currently I have the following things working on Netduino:
16 channel PWM controller for lights (set and forget) that is controlling my home made LED pendants

8 channels of relays wired to an 8 outlet DJ strip

Temp sensor

Float switches for an ATO

It's been a HUGELY fun project.

Damon.Webb22
05/16/2013, 08:17 AM
Well, to say I'm biased is an understatement.

Here is my Netduino controller build:
http://reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2250389

The Netduino forums has mine (which I do post source for but isn't targeted towards others using) and another more general pupropse one that is apparently pretty ready for production:

http://forums.netduino.com/index.php?/topic/5285-n2-aquarium-controller/

I haven't used the other, but development looks active and quite nice.

I would only suggest netduino if you have experience with or an apptitude towrads learning C# though. Otherwise so many more resources for Arduino out there.

Currently I have the following things working on Netduino:
16 channel PWM controller for lights (set and forget) that is controlling my home made LED pendants

8 channels of relays wired to an 8 outlet DJ strip

Temp sensor

Float switches for an ATO

It's been a HUGELY fun project.

Oh trust me I know which thread is yours ;) I read that thing a few times over the past few days and it is what got me interested in the Netduino.

The main thing I was worried about was wanting something for the Netduino and it not being available. As far as programming goes, I could learn any language as they all share *some* similaraties. Besides that I just want to be able to expand and not get stuck somewhere with nowhere to go.

Really my big decision is the Arduino Mega or the Netduino Plus 2 or the Netduino Go. Each has a draw, the Arduino because it has so many more pins and more shields seemingly available, the N+2 because of the built in ethernet, and the Go because of the modularity. They all have drawbacks too. The Arduino because the language seems more of a pain to program some things in, the N+2 because of its power being mainly 3.3v with some compatability with 5v, and the Go because to do anything really you have to have separate shields.

Decisions decision!!!!!!

Wish I were rich and could just get them all!

iced98lx
05/16/2013, 08:23 AM
I wouldn't go with GO. I'd go with N+2. The built in networking makes it great.

The forums @ Netduino are great, they've helped me get everything I've wanted to do up and running. I'm about to toss a shift register in and drive it via SPI to control all 8 relays, and that will set me up to add the Atlas pH probe.

mostly things that are available on Arduino are able to be ported over into net just have to write a driver.

Damon.Webb22
05/16/2013, 08:31 AM
Well Sir, almost convinced me ;)

Let's see who else chimes in lol.

I wouldn't go with GO. I'd go with N+2. The built in networking makes it great.

The forums @ Netduino are great, they've helped me get everything I've wanted to do up and running. I'm about to toss a shift register in and drive it via SPI to control all 8 relays, and that will set me up to add the Atlas pH probe.

mostly things that are available on Arduino are able to be ported over into net just have to write a driver.