PDA

View Full Version : Led setup

r6justin
05/16/2013, 11:04 AM
Doing a slow upgrade from t5 and 250mh to leds. Replacing the mh now with less once they come in.

I'm ordering the module and wondering about wiring. If I need a mean well driver every 13 leds I'll have to have about 8. Should I power all drivers from wall or eb8. Since they're dimmable can I have them all go from 100 to 0? Also if the module has 4 controls can I wire 2 or even modules per control? I'm pretty certain I can but want to be sure.

What about the serial port? I know it's an interface for a led light but can't ibcreate my own using that serial instead of the 4 ports?

Sent from my RM-820_nam_att_100 using Board Express

aquamanic
05/16/2013, 12:41 PM
You can combine multiple drivers on a single varspd port. There's no hard and fast maximum but I think 4 or 5 is common.

You can't use the serial port - completely different type of communications. The varspd just vary voltage from 0 - 10vdc and that's what the drivers need.

The Meanwell drivers will shut off before you get to 0 - somewhere around 10 - 13% IIRC. And they're not perfectly linear as they dim. This is a function of the drivers not the Apex.

r6justin
05/16/2013, 01:05 PM
So if I dim to 0% then they're off? So no power usage? This is more effective than plugging into eb8 outlet.

Is there a driver that I can use serial? Actually are there any features that using serial would be better? Also could I use the varspt ports and serial together? Sorry for all the questions, I just don't want to spend $2-5000 and have to redo everything down the road

Sent from my RM-820_nam_att_100 using Board Express

aquamanic
05/16/2013, 01:44 PM
you should spend some time researching meanwell threads. They have some little quirks that you need to be aware of before you jump in.

The serial port on the VDM module is just for the lights Neptune supports. You couldn't use that for any DIY driver.

r6justin
05/16/2013, 03:35 PM
Can someone use the serial interface with a compatible led fixture and the varspt to control 4 circuits of other LED's?

RussM
05/16/2013, 03:38 PM
Can someone use the serial interface with a compatible led fixture and the varspt to control 4 circuits of other LED's?
Yes, you could. The VDM serial port currently interfaces only with AI Sols and Apex-Ready+ (newer) Acan Lighting 600PA and 800PA fixtures. So, if you have Sols or Acans plus 0-10v dimmable LEDs, you can do both.