PDA

View Full Version : Video camera for in-tank viewing

bmanzie
05/16/2013, 01:43 PM
Hello all,
I wanted to know if there is anyone out there who has successfully been able to connect a camera for viewing inside the fish tank. I saw a tank that had a camera mounted on the outside of the tank looking in at the fish and it was looking really nice. However I have been unable to connect with that person to understand how this was accomplished.
I know it was an HD usb camera and it was viewable from the internet.
Looking forward to some replies....
Thanks

Allmost
05/16/2013, 01:51 PM
look up security cam.
best buy has HD ones.
they almost all have internet and app access.

Nighttrooper
05/16/2013, 01:54 PM
I have a network ip camera(wireless) setup outside the tank. Cost about $50. It came with a free DDNS server. PM me if you want the link

180galreefer
05/16/2013, 01:56 PM
I have used a GoPro camera many times inside the tank. You can even shoot 3D. Not sure about their streaming capabilities though.

Damon.Webb22
05/16/2013, 02:02 PM
I was about to suggest the GoPro.

"GoPro...released its $100 Wi-Fi BacPac + Wi-Fi Remote Combo Kit, allowing users to film anything from terrain park tricks to their bust-a-move dance routines and stream the video right to the Internet" - Tech News Daily

bmanzie
05/16/2013, 02:49 PM
GoPro will not work as I am looking for streaming capabilities.
I have wireless IP cameras around my house so I am trying not to use the wireless option due to bandwidth. There are a few great USB HD cameras out on the market and I know there is a way somehow to tap into it. This is how the tank I saw had it set up.
Thanks for all of your suggestions though.

r6justin
05/16/2013, 03:42 PM
wireless bandwidth? you can always buy additional access points if you hit a device limit. I'm small business IT tech and have never heard of anyone complaining of bandwidth issues. Multiple access points with same SSID, security, and channel will allow seamless transfer between devices without issues. I've have over 100 students in a school all on their webcams using wireless g laptops streaming without issues. Only had 2 Hawking Access points throughout the building.

I'd recommend the Linksys wireless IP cameras. We've used at a few clients for monitoring the front door or something simple when they don't want to get up from their desk.

Any HD webcam is USB and would work as long as plugged into a computer and has software that allows remote access through port forwarding.

Also Swann has cheap security camera system that with port forwarding in router allows easy access through web interface or through iphone/android app.

r6justin
05/16/2013, 03:44 PM
gopro hero2 has the wifi bacpac for $100. gopro hero3 has wifi built in. not sure if they support streaming, they just released the app for windows phone so i'm about to pick up the backpack for my hero2. Love these for boat season and are virtually indestructible. If they had waterproof charging I think i'd leave it in my tank, but haven't seen any way to charge underwater.

bmanzie
05/16/2013, 08:31 PM
That's what I am looking for, an application that allows remote access through port forwarding.

hllywd
05/17/2013, 11:26 AM
I'm using my old HTC Incredible II with a free app called IP Webcam and my Apex to view my tank remotely (you don't have to have an Apex to make this work). The port forwarding should be easy enough to configure in your router. It was simple to setup on my local network, and required so minor tweaks to be able to access it away from home. Obviously it's not in the tank, but I already had the old phone, so it was essentially free.

DrewPalmer04
05/17/2013, 11:38 AM
You can save quite a bit of money and run a normal USB webcam to a desktop. Then install iCam (iPhone $5 app) and the program configures everything. This is what I use because I already had the webcam. I can view remotely from anywhere with upto 4 webcams if needed.

Subw00er
05/17/2013, 01:12 PM
Axis is starting to release entry level IP cameras. I use theirs on my tanks (and for security) and they're great. Axis is a well known high end IP camera.

Logitech also had a nice looking line of IP cameras out there too. Check amazon.

Sonicboom
05/17/2013, 03:52 PM
I use a pair of Foscam Wireless IP cameras, one is upstairs watching the kids rooms and one one the tank, streams via webpage and Iphone, android app, also has night vision and two way audio, and tilt pan.

bmanzie
05/21/2013, 04:41 AM
R6justin: bandwidth may not have been the correct word to use but all I know is when I have all of my 6 ip security cameras on, I could barely surf the Internet.
Thank you to everyone else for their suggestions. I am now looking into Yawcam as well as trying to figure out why my Internet slows down so much when my security cameras are on.

Sonicboom
05/21/2013, 05:12 AM
Make sure you are using a Gigabit switch for your LAN, then turn them off all on and go to speedtest.net and see what your speed is, run the test again with them off. You may need to upgrade your ISP speed.

Cymonous
05/21/2013, 07:51 AM
R6justin: bandwidth may not have been the correct word to use but all I know is when I have all of my 6 ip security cameras on, I could barely surf the Internet.
Thank you to everyone else for their suggestions. I am now looking into Yawcam as well as trying to figure out why my Internet slows down so much when my security cameras are on.

What type of internet service do you have? Cable or DSL? Do you know what your max speed is through your ISP? Like suggested above, you may need to upgrade if you are using the low-end speed.

Sonicboom
05/21/2013, 08:15 AM
i forgot to ask, are all the cameras connected via an Ethernet cable or wireless. If via Ethernet, your switch (hopefully external and not the built in 10/100 in the router) may not be able to handle the traffic. If they are connected via wireless, and you have an older b/g router, you might need to upgrade to an n/ac. I just upgraded my wireless to an n/ac router and now i connect at 78 Mbps on my phone, up from 54Mbps.

r6justin
05/22/2013, 10:29 AM
Camera systems will not affect your internet speed from ISP, unless they're port forwarded and someone is viewing remotely.

Definitely sounds like a switch issue if anything is wired. Always best to have everything connected to a switch.

I'm 99% positive you only have a router and everything is either wireless or plugs directly into that. Low end routers are designed to cause slowness if they're overloaded. This is so they won't overheat and break. Just buy wireless access point and a switch and you wont need to worry

If using wireless, you should buy a wireless access point and plug into switch. If you keep name and password the same you can use both and devices will switch from router to access point automatically. you can wire up to ends of house and have great coverage. Also use wpa2 aes encryption if possible. its the only encryption that allows more than 54mbps.

Sent from my RM-820_nam_att_100 using Board Express

CFosh
05/22/2013, 11:54 AM
What about Logitech Security camera system? it is 720p HD and can go over the internet to your mobile devices. a little pricey, but looks neat.

blackthunda77
05/23/2013, 11:54 AM
I have one at home. two actually. Your welcome to come by and check them out if you wish. I believe i saw you at the swap last weekend.

blackthunda77
05/23/2013, 11:57 AM
Nevermind, I just reread the thread more closely. Seems like your not looking fro wireless IP cameras which is what i have. 2 Foscams to be exact. I view them from home, remotely via other computers or on my phone.

brad_G
05/24/2013, 12:30 AM
The go pro WiFi does allow you to see what the camera does but its only up to 600 ft in optimal conditions and its not what I would call streaming. It is very choppy and like a 5 second delay. You could possibly use a lower resolution picture but I always want 1080 hd!

bmanzie
05/27/2013, 07:22 AM
Thank you everyone for your help. Sorry in the delay of my response but I have been extremely busy. My internet slows down when using my IP cameras because I am using an application called iCam. Looks like this application when turned on sends my video to the servers out in the internet and back out. So yes this would slow my internet down. I am going to look into another application (blueiris) to see if this is a better option for me.
Once I resolve my security camera issue, I will then come back to this live streaming question.
Thanks again everyone.