PDA

View Full Version : Finally getting back in...

RabbitKC99
05/16/2013, 10:12 PM
I haven't had a saltwater tank set up for the past decade, but I'm finally getting back in. I've heard (and read) about a number of changes (LED lighting, carbon/vodka dosing, and just read a fair amount about the tank transfer method to prevent/eliminate ich).

I got some plans (been plotting for a decade). I have a 20 gallon tank cycling as a quarantine tank and two five gallon buckets for the tank transfer method. I've got a 55 gallon tank and a 68 gallon tank, which will be the main tanks. The 68 gallon tank will be a mixed reef. The 55 gallon tank will be a Caribbean biotope with a cave built on one end for (hopefully) a group of royal grammas, and an open deep sand area across most of the tank for a group of yellowhead jawfish. The 20 gallon will eventually be a simple FOWLR for my son - he wants a pistol shrimp/goby pair with other fish to be determined.

My main question: What other new breakthroughs are there (so I know what to search for... for a while I thought tank transfer was about moving and reestablishing a tank :lmao:)

Thanks!

hollister
05/16/2013, 10:20 PM
Tank transfer is to quarantine new stock so you can catch any problems before you add them in the new tank. This goes for coral also.
Many fish come with some un seen problems that you never see if the fish doesnt stress out to much. But one bad fish can kill all your fish.

NeilFox
05/16/2013, 10:35 PM
Not really many breakthroughs. The basics haven't changed at all. Vodka dosing maybe but it is more of a fad. I see alot of people quitting it. LED lights are new. They still seem to have alot of issues though. I had looked into it for the heat issues that I have, but I am sticking with a T5 MH combo right now. I think that skimmers have improved, you can pick up a very good one at a reasonable price. Test kits have improved alot too.

RabbitKC99
05/16/2013, 11:11 PM
Tank transfer is to quarantine new stock so you can catch any problems before you add them in the new tank. This goes for coral also.
Many fish come with some un seen problems that you never see if the fish doesnt stress out to much. But one bad fish can kill all your fish.

Yes, I figured it out after a little while. Searched and read the thread tonight. Been lurking and reading a fair amount for the past month.

RabbitKC99
05/17/2013, 08:11 AM
Not really many breakthroughs. The basics haven't changed at all. Vodka dosing maybe but it is more of a fad. I see alot of people quitting it. LED lights are new. They still seem to have alot of issues though. I had looked into it for the heat issues that I have, but I am sticking with a T5 MH combo right now. I think that skimmers have improved, you can pick up a very good one at a reasonable price. Test kits have improved alot too.

Suggestions on quality skimmer makers to narrow down the research?

dthorn
05/18/2013, 12:45 AM
Leds are something you have to research and decide on your own. They are proven, powerful, and offer options other lighting can't dream of. Complete custom control of output intensity and color being most noted. Setting your lights to the exact color you like as well as being able to set sunrise and sunset. The research comes into deciding if you want a light that doesn't come with precise known instructions like traditional lighting. Also what brand, bulb colors, sizes, etc to decide what is best for you. Leds are the future of this hobby and anyone that denies that is simply in denial and afraid of what they don't know. The fact that they usually eliminate the need for a chiller can pay for your 1st high end fixture. Then consider that leds are no more expensive than traditional methods (just a larger initial investment) and use way less electricity. Even safer because they run at lower power than other lights. The only thing still being debated is what the best leds are for reef tanks and whether or not they still need to be improved. Aquaillumination sells modular fixtures to leave room for future upgrades. I suspect optics are still being improved but as easy as it is to fry corals with what's available now it's hard to say if more powerful is better. Yes they are constantly changing, but not cause they don't work. It's more about being competitive and marketing. I know one thing from experience. People with way nicer tanks than me almost lose it when they see what high end leds can do for a display. And I'm not talking about the touch pad color screen controller, simulated clouds, lightning storms, moving sunrise, or any of the other cool gimics. I'm just talking about the almost artificial, contrast and pop that leds bring to the tank. Having three colors of blue, red, green, and white that can be controlled on command opens up limitless options.

As far as skimmers reef octopus is hard to beat for a middle shelf brand. They make awesome budget friendly skimmers and have one for nearly every application and budget. They also get great reviews, are built and designed well, and are easy to use and clean.

RabbitKC99
05/19/2013, 07:17 AM
thanks dthorn - good info and I will continue to research!